Must read; The Land: How Cowboys, Capitalism, and Corruption are Ruining the American West

Huntin_GI

WKR
I know all of you are to some extent interested in the American West. That's why I felt the need to bring more awareness to this book.

The Land: How Cowboys, Capitalism, and Corruption are Ruining the American West by Christopher Ketcham came across my Amazon recommendations as I attempted to burn the audible credits I had unknowingly been amassing for the past year.

Ill link the book below as I am sure some of y'all may take the time to dig further but before I go any further, I have to say wow.

This book has pointed out an uncomfortable truth about the American West which I am so fond of.

This truth is that the BLM has and continues to fail in their duties of protecting the American public's interests. I will not go any further as I feel the book deserves the time and thought it takes see it through.

well he does hate monopoly because of evil capitalism

This guy was trying to channel his inner David Foster Wallace. He failed.

He did write a piece on what Instagram influencers are doing to public lands, etc. the exact same thing could be applied to hunting...but again, I digress...

I read the reviews on his website. I don’t get the feeling that the author and I have similar views on much of anything. I think I’ll skip this one.
I agree that some of his descriptions make me uncomfortable. His perspective on hunting, off-roading, and thoughts on the ESA aren't aligned with mine, but the over-arching perspective on public lands and the need to protect those public lands resonate with me.

It may not be for everyone but, it does bring an idea to the forefront of the public lands use discussion that is worth consideration.

Yeah, reading the description kind iif turned me off, but I figured I'd learn something.
At times, I scoff at the author's descriptions of sportsmen and other user groups but, if you take the book as a whole, it really can make you second guess ideas you may have previously held which is where I find myself.

This guy was trying to channel his inner David Foster Wallace. He failed.

He did write a piece on what Instagram influencers are doing to public lands, etc. the exact same thing could be applied to hunting...but again, I digress...
Like this clown? Grew up and schooled in San Fran and moved to Montana became an instant Montana expert, and an authority on western animals and habitat in less than a year. He sure scammed a lot of people

Like this clown? Grew up and schooled in San Fran and moved to Montana became an instant Montana expert, and an authority on western animals and habitat in less than a year. He sure scammed a lot of people

An The Explorer's Club (of which he is a fellow) is letting damn near anyone in these days...it really has watered down what it means to be an explorer...

I don’t think where you are born or grow up means much. I’m a native San Franciscan, educated there and employed there for well over 30 years. I am more conservative, outdoors oriented, horse savvy, and anti government than most people you would ever meet. So are many of the guys I was raised with. The problem people in SF didn’t come from there, they moved there and ruined it. This crap about blaming Californians or San Franciscans for the woes of Idaho, Montana etc is absurd. Those people are the ones who aren’t natives from here, “carpet baggers” as we refer to them in The City.

I've listened to a couple hours of the book so far. There's more to it than "anti capitalism". I don't really like the author's attitude, but the evolution of the federal lands program s is educating me and im eager to listen to more. He's a good writer, as well. His nature descriptions are pleasant.

I don’t think where you are born or grow up means much. I’m a native San Franciscan, educated there and employed there for well over 30 years. I am more conservative, outdoors oriented, horse savvy, and anti government than most people you would ever meet. So are many of the guys I was raised with. The problem people in SF didn’t come from there, they moved there and ruined it. This crap about blaming Californians or San Franciscans for the woes of Idaho, Montana etc is absurd. Those people are the ones who aren’t natives from here, “carpet baggers” as we refer to them in The City.

Also tell them that more people from California voted for Trump than Idaho, Montana, Colorado, Nevada, Arizona, Wyoming and Utah combined. Lol that will mess with their minds a bit. In reality they just don't like people.

Back