Mtn lion(s) kill 15 dogs in 30 days (Colorado)

Do you know what a logical fallacy is? You could put your first statement under the definition of slippery slope as an example.

I agree with your first sentence in your second paragraph and while your first paragraph makes sense at first glance it’s not sound logic. In other words, it means nothing as far as a substantive addition to the premise.
I'm not sure that what he wrote in the first paragraph actually falls under the "slippery slope" fallacy. He isn't listing those things as a series of events. He's listing alternative things that fit the model of "something bad happened to my dog; the state should pay/wolves should be extinct". The premise being that there are many troubles that can befall a canine running free in the woods.

At least that was my takeaway from it!

ETtikka

WKR
my brother used to live in Nederland, it’s a nice place, he was advised to always take his dog on hikes and trails runs etc so that the lion would take the dog instead of him and that was 10 yrs ago

, it’s probably a good thing that not many kids live there, I can hear the animal worshipers now, taking up for the lions even after a child is taken

It is tough to know what’s serious and what’s not on here. Some guys, myself included sometime are just giving a hard time. Hunting season is mostly over so we bicker til the draw or hunt talk starts up. Then we bust on the guys asking about units. Etc.

I took you for a tree hugger.

My take is simple, he who has the most to lose should have a say. The Neder folks should have a say in how the cats are managed. Ditto for cattlemen and folks living on the wolf range. If it were up to me there’d be long open season on wolves bears cats. Keep the numbers down, cant kill em all without poison, but can keep em respectful of folks, pets, livestock…

The tremendous numbers of ignorant folks wanting to save the animals have no skin in the game, just an emotional need to save the wolves cats bears manatees seals, whatever.
I agree with you on all of it. Long seasons on big predators, running hounds, etc, and only drawing the line at poison.

I'm glad we found common ground. I also take comfort in knowing that I'm the closest thing to a tree-hugger we have here on Rokslide.

A real greenie would puke if they saw my trophy room. Hahaha

Do you know what a logical fallacy is? You could put your first statement under the definition of slippery slope as an example.

I agree with your first sentence in your second paragraph and while your first paragraph makes sense at first glance it’s not sound logic. In other words, it means nothing as far as a substantive addition to the premise.

This is not slippery slope.

I’m my opinion the wolves here in Idaho have the exact same disposition as the wolves in Alaska from my several interactions with them. They just stare you down like you’re a piss ant and give you no respect (unless heavily hunted, but even then they still have a certain degree of arrogance which is hard to describe). It’s eerie to lock eyes with one. We couldn’t shoot that one because that was the year the animal rights activists judge shopped and filed a lawsuit to shut down the wolf hunt even though Idaho was over a 1,000 wolves above the recovery objective. Spend some time around them and opinions change, just like the Colorado residents being plagued by the lions. Not trying to be combative, just relaying real world experiences.
I look forwards to experiencing wolves like you have. Though I spent a considerable amount of time in wolf areas in Washington and Alaska, I've never seen one. Plenty of tracks but never the animal. Never saw a mountain lion either, unfortunately. I have been up close (under 50 yds) to a brown bear and 3 black bears and those experiences were exciting though.

The plan right now is that I'll be moving to northern Idaho in the next 6-7 years. Just gotta get one more kid graduated and then there will be nothing holding me here in the midwest. I miss the mountains since I grew up in WA state.

Elk botherer

Lil-Rokslider
I look forwards to experiencing wolves like you have. Though I spent a considerable amount of time in wolf areas in Washington and Alaska, I've never seen one. Plenty of tracks but never the animal. Never saw a mountain lion either, unfortunately. I have been up close (under 50 yds) to a brown bear and 3 black bears and those experiences were exciting though.

The plan right now is that I'll be moving to northern Idaho in the next 6-7 years. Just gotta get one more kid graduated and then there will be nothing holding me here in the midwest. I miss the mountains since I grew up in WA state.
I hope you don’t have to experience them like I have!😂 It’s frustrating! I’ve just had bad luck in having two separate wolf packs setting up camp and den in my favorite drainage over the past 15 or so years leading to several run ins with wolves. Where we hunt is very remote and rugged country that normally produces great numbers of deer and elk. The number of deer and elk in our honey hole was very discouraging this year which is year two with a denning pack. I’m definitely going to do my best to put a dent in the pack once conditions allow access to the country. I’ve seen several wolves and bears, but only four mountain lions over the years (called one in on a wolf set, the rest were incidental).

North Idaho is great, I go up there most years for whitetail and it’s a good time. A lot of good outdoor opportunities up there in a beautiful setting. If family didn’t have me tied down to southern Idaho I’d be up there in a heart beat. Good luck in your migration back west.

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
Bees/wasps/hornets/etc kill 50+ people in the US every year. Yet there is no outrage from the WKRs stating that they should be eradicated. Out of all of our "boogeyman" animals, this one actually kills quite a few people year after year despite the abundance of Epipens. How many documented cases of wolves, bears, mountain lions, etc are there with that consistent annual body count?

Birds of prey take an unknown amount of small pets in the US every year. Birds of prey also take an unknown number of chickens/ducks/etc that would have been sold to market (negatively impacting people's livelihoods). Yet there is no outrage from the WRKs stating that they should be eradicated.

Coyotes and bobcats take an unknown amount of small pets in the US every year. Seen plenty of both cruising in populated areas, including walking on top of 6' fences in the burbs; see them often on my jogs while at home. They hammer the babies of wildlife, our small pets, and young animals that would have been sold to market (negatively impacting people's livelihoods). Yet there is no outrage from the WRKs stating that they should be eradicated.

But yep, the wolf is the top killer of all things near and dear.

I think the difference is most of the animals you listed are fair game to kill in most places, especially problem animals. It's a hot topic because people feel they can't defend their own from wolves and many people are very unreasonable in the way they approach the conversation. A lot of funding for the animal activists come from the anti gun lobby with the intent of ungulate herds being wiped out across the country.

SSS so that future generations can enjoy freedom and hunting.

Running into lions in the woods is beyond spooky. I was bowhunting a remote drainage a few years ago and had slept on a saddle up above the basin in my bivy. Was eating breakfast and glassing when a good size cat in the 5-6' long size range stepped out of the trees about 150 yards away and continued down the ridge. I have no doubt I slept within a 1/4-1/2 mile of that lion. Spooked me pretty good. To the point I ended up deliberating on and eventually passing on a 30-yard chip shot on a bedded cow another 1/2 mile down the ridge. Couldn't shake the feeling that cat wasn't far away and didn't really want to try and get that elk out of this nasty drainage solo in the dark, looking over my shoulder all the way out. I ended up relocating to the opposite side of the canyon to shake the feeling. I understand how guys talk about being in the grizzly woods now, it is not a fun feeling...

I have seen more lions in the last 3 years in CO than I have in my entire life. Including one within a mile of my house. I have no doubt that one would make an easy snack out of my 125lb Akita if it wanted to. There was a child attacked last year in his yard about 15 miles down the road. They are no joke, and an add-on tag like a bear tag wouldn't be a bad idea, so if you see one hunting, you can shoot it... Their numbers are definitely growing rapidly here.

I hope you don’t have to experience them like I have!😂 It’s frustrating! I’ve just had bad luck in having two separate wolf packs setting up camp and den in my favorite drainage over the past 15 or so years leading to several run ins with wolves. Where we hunt is very remote and rugged country that normally produces great numbers of deer and elk. The number of deer and elk in our honey hole was very discouraging this year which is year two with a denning pack. I’m definitely going to do my best to put a dent in the pack once conditions allow access to the country. I’ve seen several wolves and bears, but only four mountain lions over the years (called one in on a wolf set, the rest were incidental).

North Idaho is great, I go up there most years for whitetail and it’s a good time. A lot of good outdoor opportunities up there in a beautiful setting. If family didn’t have me tied down to southern Idaho I’d be up there in a heart beat. Good luck in your migration back west.
Yeah that's definitely not the wolf experiences I'm looking forwards to! I'd just like to see them in the wild; not have them ruin my hunting area. I wish you good luck on thinning down their numbers in your area!

I would move back to WA since most of my family still lives there but I just can't stomach the politics. Figured northern ID would give me a semblance of the freedom I had in the mountains of WV but the hunting opportunities I've been missing since moving from WA 10 years ago.

Plus, I can still buy WA licenses and tags at the resident rate which means I can still hunt with my dad without spending a fortune. He's had a rough time finding hunting partners willing to get into the steep and deep stuff since I left. I go back every 1-2 years for bear hunts but that's all. It'd be nice to live closer and do elk too.

Good talk, brother!

Last edited:
Running into lions in the woods is beyond spooky. I was bowhunting a remote drainage a few years ago and had slept on a saddle up above the basin in my bivy. Was eating breakfast and glassing when a good size cat in the 5-6' long size range stepped out of the trees about 150 yards away and continued down the ridge. I have no doubt I slept within a 1/4-1/2 mile of that lion. Spooked me pretty good. To the point I ended up deliberating on and eventually passing on a 30-yard chip shot on a bedded cow another 1/2 mile down the ridge. Couldn't shake the feeling that cat wasn't far away and didn't really want to try and get that elk out of this nasty drainage solo in the dark, looking over my shoulder all the way out. I ended up relocating to the opposite side of the canyon to shake the feeling. I understand how guys talk about being in the grizzly woods now, it is not a fun feeling...

I have seen more lions in the last 3 years in CO than I have in my entire life. Including one within a mile of my house. I have no doubt that one would make an easy snack out of my 125lb Akita if it wanted to. There was a child attacked last year in his yard about 15 miles down the road. They are no joke, and an add-on tag like a bear tag wouldn't be a bad idea, so if you see one hunting, you can shoot it... Their numbers are definitely growing rapidly here.
That's wild, dude! I've heard them twice screaming in the night and it made my blood run cold. On both occasions, I was with my dad though and kinda drew comfort from him since he seemed unfazed by it. He was probably just putting on a front though, haha.

4rcgoat

WKR
Bees/wasps/hornets/etc kill 50+ people in the US every year. Yet there is no outrage from the WKRs stating that they should be eradicated. Out of all of our "boogeyman" animals, this one actually kills quite a few people year after year despite the abundance of Epipens. How many documented cases of wolves, bears, mountain lions, etc are there with that consistent annual body count?

Birds of prey take an unknown amount of small pets in the US every year. Birds of prey also take an unknown number of chickens/ducks/etc that would have been sold to market (negatively impacting people's livelihoods). Yet there is no outrage from the WRKs stating that they should be eradicated.

Coyotes and bobcats take an unknown amount of small pets in the US every year. Seen plenty of both cruising in populated areas, including walking on top of 6' fences in the burbs; see them often on my jogs while at home. They hammer the babies of wildlife, our small pets, and young animals that would have been sold to market (negatively impacting people's livelihoods). Yet there is no outrage from the WRKs stating that they should be eradicated.

But yep, the wolf is the top killer of all things near and dear.
You are correct, but there isn't much for bragging rights in killing insects and birds.
I don't have a dog in this fight🙄,but if I ever get a chance to kill a wolf with my bow,I'm taking it all day.
Shoot,shovel,...............

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
The difference in losing a pet or livestock to a wolf vs. a coyote, bee, or whatever else is the gov is reintroducing wolves to new areas they either don’t currently live in or never did in some cases. I’m not aware of any reintroduction efforts for any of the other mentioned critters and as someone else said, you can kill a coyote or swat that hornet and not face a federal judge. Also there’s only one top dog, and it’s not a coyote or hornet.

If the gov decided your neighborhood was a great place for bees to thrive and started dropping off swarms of bees in their “new” spot would you care? Would you want to be able to defend your house and family against them? What if your kids or wife are deathly allergic to bees? You’d be pissed off and rightfully so. I’d say bees serve a larger role in nature than do wolves, and their numbers are declining….

You are correct, but there isn't much for bragging rights in killing insects and birds.
I don't have a dog in this fight🙄,but if I ever get a chance to kill a wolf with my bow,I'm taking it all day.
Shoot,shovel,...............
Wolves absolutely should be managed just like every other animal. Hunting a wolf is on my short list.

Folks get hung up on the big bad wolf (figuratively and literally) but ignore the more realistic threats to people, livelihoods, etc. as a whole. Some folks may get that and others won't which is fine.

@Tock-O and @JustSomeGuy35

Well, damn. I think you are both right. Maybe I don’t drink and rokslide anymore. @AZ_Hunter_2000 it appears I was the one who added nothing but some jackassery to this thread.

Still pissed about the wolves messing up my elk hunting tho.
Just pointed out some irrationality of some folks. I get that some folks may grasp that while others are too dense to figure that out.

4rcgoat

WKR
Wolves absolutely should be managed just like every other animal. Hunting a wolf is on my short list.

Folks get hung up on the big bad wolf (figuratively and literally) but ignore the more realistic threats to people, livelihoods, etc. as a whole. Some folks may get that and others won't which is fine.
I hear ya,I just want 1 wolf with a bow,then I'm done. I'm serious.