Narrow Mtn Road Etiquette

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
I didn’t know there was an actual etiquette. I always pay attention to where there is a place to pull over and back up to that spot if I encounter anyone. Found myself backing up for everyone and getting annoyed this past year as some guys were literally next to places where they could of did the same.

Uphill bound has the right of way may serve well as a general rule of thumb, but the specific location of the encounter matters a lot.

I vacation in CO frequently. I don't drive on overly technical roads, but some are narrow with rough patches. I was driving my 2WD truck down a mountain in a bit of a rough spot when I rounded a bend and encountered an uphill bound small SUV. I was aware of the rule of thumb but my truck being light on the back end couldn't get traction in the rutted loose gravel that I stopped in.

I got out and told the other driver what was going on. They understood and offered to back up a few hundred feet to a place where the road was wider and they could pull over. Sometimes a friendly conversation helps.

If I am uphill bound and I encounter another vehicle, I don't mind backing into a passing location if I have one at my disposal. I find backing uphill in narrow, technical terrain to be more difficult than tackling the same terrain going forward.

It seems to me that the rule of thumb is fine, but there would be too many variables to codify it into law. I can say that empathy, patience, communication and cooperation go a long way.

Oregon

WKR
This is great advice for anyone hunting around an active logging op. Dudes are working and you’re not….. you yield to them

The reason all mainline logging roads have mile markers on them. Log trucks announce their mile marker and whether heading up or down as they pass them. Saved my bacon a few times.

Poser

WKR
Driver's side. You always want to have a driver's side on the side of the drop off when passing. Particularly if both driver's are solo.
This may mean that 2 vehicles will pass each other in opposite "lanes" than on 2 lane roads, but it keeps eyes directly on the drop-off. When you don't have a passenger and you are forced to pass with the passenger side near the drop-off, it can get hairy real quick.

I agree with the others that every situation is different, but you just don't have great braking power backing downhill. Your front brakes are where your stopping power is.

Poser

WKR
Where we hunt in SW Colorado you can take the long way and stay on nice paved roads, or cut off a bunch of distance by cutting through on a forest service road. We've opted for the short cut a couple times and it barely fits one vehicle, let alone two and is a super tight switch back affair, that has some pretty intimidating drop offs if you were ever to venture too close to the edge. We were taking the short cut one time and came face-to face with a big wrecker (the kind they use on semi's) coming down the road. We are wondering what the heck he was doing running that huge rig on that road - I guess he knew the area and also opted for the short cut. We both had a heck of a time maneuvering our vehicles to pass each other - fortunately there was a spot in the road that widened a bit, and we were able to make it work.

Ophir Pass?

Driver's side. You always want to have a driver's side on the side of the drop off when passing. Particularly if both driver's are solo.
This may mean that 2 vehicles will pass each other in opposite "lanes" than on 2 lane roads, but it keeps eyes directly on the drop-off. When you don't have a passenger and you are forced to pass with the passenger side near the drop-off, it can get hairy real quick.

Never heard that one before..