MR Metcalfe

wapitibob

WKR
They provide lift just fine, they become a part of the frame. No different than a 26" frame. The bag makes no difference, it's attached to the frame, if you even have a bag. The MR version has an extra set of buckles i believe are for the top lid or the "over the top" straps to attach to
There are only two places for pack weight to go, shoulder straps and the belt. When you take weight off the straps it has to go to the belt.

AZ Ron

Lil-Rokslider
They provide lift just fine, they become a part of the frame. No different than a 26" frame. The bag makes no difference, it's attached to the frame, if you even have a bag. The MR version has an extra set of buckles i believe are for the top lid or the "over the top" straps to attach to
There are only two places for pack weight to go, shoulder straps and the belt. When you take weight off the straps it has to go to the belt.

Exactly...

Take the bag off the frame and the optional extenders (MR or OV) still work as advertised.

I'll have more details and pictures when I get back from helping a buddy on his AZ strip deer hunt... :)

Kotaman

WKR
My beef with my Metcalf (and any MR packs as far as that goes) is the weight of the pack. You can get a comparable Kifaru for half the weight! The MR packs I own are bomb proof, but compared to some of todays offerings from Kifaru and STone Glacier, these things weigh a ton.

As far as the "lifters" go...I get "ok" lift out of the Metacalf with the 24" stays, but nothing like the lift I get out of my Kifaru T2 and T3. As great a pack as the Metcalf is, I see myself selling mine due to the weight issue. Too bad, because the pack is very functional (love the side zip) and is bombproof.

Does any one know any of the details on the changes made to the Metcalf for this year? Also, a friend told me the other day that he had heard that MR is coming out with a new hunting frame and pack for next year, around the 4lb mark?

I hadn't heard of any changes to the metcalf this year, in the elk hunter magazine there is a new pack the Marshall which is 6600, it looks very interesting to me. Hadn't heard about the new pack and frame for next year though.