Moving to Montana

holzgene

FNG
Hey everyone, New to this forum....
I'm currently in the process of moving to Montana. Looking for jobs currently and wondering what are some good cities for a hunter to live and work in. So far, I've applied for jobs in Missoula, Bozeman, and Helena. Any other recommendations?

OP
holzgene

holzgene

FNG
Currently working for a pharma research company, lab work. Willing to change my career route.

I'm currently in the process of moving to Montana. Looking for jobs currently and wondering what are some good cities for a hunter to live and work in. So far, I've applied for jobs in Missoula, Bozeman, and Helena. Any other recommendations?

Sounds like a plan!

bobr1

WKR
The only places that will have any kind of pharma or chem/biochem jobs are going to be Bozeman and Missoula which also have universities and research labs. maybe Billings or Helena. The only small town might be Hamilton with rocky mountain laboratories. Otherwise most jobs without a science degree are going to be in retail or some sort of service job. Also logging, rail road and oil depending on the part of the state. If you have biology degree USFW or FWP, a lot of jobs out of Helena. Not sure where you are from but understand that Missoula and especially Bozeman are quite expensive to live in now from the mass exodus of west coast, especially Californians, moving there. Expect a pretty large drop in pay compared to what you were making especially if you are from a major city. I'd highly recommend having a job lined up before moving. Also, I'm not sure if you have been to Montana from your post but you should probably visit some areas before making a decision.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Welcome. I don’t want to sound condescending but it might be worthwhile to go in winter before you commit.

Otherwise, I am seething with jealously and wish you well.

hobbes

WKR
How much are you invested in your current line of work? College degree or less? Are you entry level or supervision? If you are at the lower end with relatively little investment in your current field then there is likely more opportunity than if you are mid to upper level in pharm research and need to stay relatively close to that field.

If you have construction labor experience and are willing to show up to work everyday and sober, there are construction jobs out there to be had. Lots of guys out there that aren't willing to do it, even if it means unemployment.

OP
holzgene

holzgene

FNG
How much are you invested in your current line of work? College degree or less? Are you entry level or supervision? If you are at the lower end with relatively little investment in your current field then there is likely more opportunity than if you are mid to upper level in pharm research and need to stay relatively close to that field.

If you have construction labor experience and are willing to show up to work everyday and sober, there are construction jobs out there to be had. Lots of guys out there that aren't willing to do it, even if it means unemployment.
I've been working my current job for a little more than a year and a half. I do have a degree. I'm not super invested in this field of work yet. At this point I'm looking for something I can be a bit more passionate about. I'm not afraid to start entry level in a new line of work that excites me. This leaves me open to a lot of options. I would love to get started with a hunting/shooting/outdoors based company. The only thing I'm sure about is that I love to hunt, shoot, and fish lol.

OP
holzgene

holzgene

FNG
Welcome. I don’t want to sound condescending but it might be worthwhile to go in winter before you commit.

Otherwise, I am seething with jealously and wish you well.
That is great advice honestly. I currently live in Michigan, while this isn't as cold as Montana, I do have a lot of experience with winters. I've always enjoyed the cold, love to ice fish.

OP
holzgene

holzgene

FNG
I appreciate all the posts guys, can always count on hunters to give good honest advice.

Jacobo2012

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody know how electrical work is in Montana? Idaho? Or Wyoming? Would love to one day be self employed and run my own shop but don’t think Ca is the place for me and my family

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk