Tracking in MT WY ID

OP
M

maine

FNG
Another issue to get used to following the above comment, in fresh fluffy snow where you can track the disturbance but can't identify the track. I have followed a young or cow moose a considerable distance before they stepped under a tree where they left a readable track. It also becomes important to tell the differance between moose pee and elk pee. The elk is usually sweet while the moose is kind of musky.

In nw Montana/ Northern Idaho the whitetails and the muleys are mixed. Many times not even separated by elevation. The only thing I have found is that muleys tend to form herds while whitetails are more solitary or doe - fawn/fawns combinations. The whitetail tracks seem more pointed while the muleys are a little more rounded.

I haven't noticed them as mixed in sw montana but along the Idaho border country in the 70s-80s I killed big whitetail bucks on one ridge and the next day saw nice muley bucks on the next ridge.
That’s a great point, lot more species out there than Maine

OP
M

maine

FNG
Dumb question and will make me sound like an uber Newb- which I am not....

But I am guessing you need to be 100% positive you're on a buck track when you commit....or you've blown a whole day.

I've seen thousands of tracks in my travels. Read books by old timers and trappers. Guys drawing lines, looking for dewclaw imprints, single tracks winding back and forth.

Kind of a challenge getting started on a good buck track?
Very sunken in dew claws and far behind the hoof is a good indicator of a buck, however heavy does can leave dew claw prints. And it depends on the season. If it’s peak rut, if you’re on a doe or small buck track it can likely lead you to other deer and larger bucks. It is challenging to find a 200 pound buck track though

OP
M

maine

FNG
For whitetail, the above.

Here in SW Montana, tracking bulls to their beds is my favorite way to hunt elk, and usually at some point in the season there is snow to do so.

Where in MT you moving? Where are you in ME?
I’m pretty close to Portland, moving to Bozeman

OP
M

maine

FNG
It’s a very effective and underutilized technique in the west… I grew up in the pnw and feel right at home in the timber. Half the time I’m not even tracking and run into a buck or bull. I watch a lot of YouTube videos of the NE trackers and pick up lots of tid bits from those guys. I’ll cover a min of 10 miles in shitty terrain in a day so be prepared for that. I can’t sit still on a glassing knob for more than a day and roll a lot of country through the dog hair dead fall. It can be mind numbing, but you already know that. View attachment 661324
View attachment 661325

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hell yeah man!

OP
M

maine

FNG
While i've never been out west, nothing compares to north east tracking. Finally got to wield the muzzleloader on saturday in NJ with some fresh snow. Only got flurries on my vermont trip this year. Last maine trip was a bust with no snow the week before thanksgiving.

When planning on going west, I always tell my buddies im going to track elk/mule deer with peep sight 760. As they build out rifles to shoot 400 yards.

So, good luck and make it work. It's hard not to track after getting the itch of it.
Boy I love it