Mountain Rig

Truck vs Jeep vs 4WD Car?
Diesel vs Gas?
1/2 vs 3/4 Ton?
Limited Slip (posi) vs 1-wheel Peel?
Regular Tire w/Chains vs Mud Tire?

What do you prefer & why?

I have a 4WD mini SUV (Toyota Rav4) and it works well. The entire back seat comes out in a snap for hunting trips. If snow is in the forecast then chains are on board. It goes everywhere I need it to with chains on in the snow. It does very well without chains too.

This isn't my ideal choice but I am making it work for now.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a duramax, I prefer it because it can do anything I ask it to on the road. Offroad, I only ask it get me to camp, if I'm not in a wilderness, my Polaris ranger takes over. It does everything I ask it to off road besides go fast;( I only have the 500. Other than that it will get wherever I want to go.

Oh posi's front and rear a must. In Nevada anyways. I've been stuck before and have thought,"if only THAT tire would have some power applied to it we wouldn't be standing here like a bunch of idiots".

dotman

WKR
I had a diesel that has been retired with 270k, now I have a honda ridgeline 4wd that will get me to most trail heads.

G Posik

WKR
This is my rig. 2002 Tacoma with 4" lift. V-6 and has been up and down the mountains in Colorado a few times.

Glenn

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1340116976385.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1340116976385.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 87
OP
Brandon Pattison
I have never added posi to the front, how spendy is that for say a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton?

The trailhead I want to go up is really greasy, rutted, steep, dropoffs, and etc. Does the heavy Duramax slide any worse or better than a lighter truck?

Last edited:
Taco3.jpg

Taco5.jpg

All Beef Taco
Lift and Tires in this one as well.

Elk bedded in background posing for the picture!
My previous vehicle was a Dodge power wagon with electronic lockers front and rear. The Taco only has the Rear Locker but seems to get around much better. It is a much more agile truck with narrow and short wheel base.

Last edited:

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
:) I have to be careful where I go. I drive around a Dodge Neon. You should see some of the looks when I pop out of the woods with an elk on my back and throw it in the Neon. Priceless.

There is a picture floating around the internet of a mature bull elk being transported on top of a Dodge Colt hatchback with Montana tags. I laugh every time I see it :)

I have to admit, I was a Chevy Z71 die hard like no other. I started driving a Chevy 4WD with my first vehicle and drove nothing but, since.

HOWEVER,I took the plunge to a 2012 Tacoma. WOW....I LOVE IT !!! LOVE IT!!! LOVE IT!! I will never go back. This is coming from a closed minded Chevy lover. I love my Tacoma

Any of you guys have a favorite snow chains for the Taco?

:) I have to be careful where I go. I drive around a Dodge Neon. You should see some of the looks when I pop out of the woods with an elk on my back and throw it in the Neon. Priceless.

I know the feeling. I used to drive a Corolla and put boned-out meat in the trunk several times. I have since upgraded to a Tacoma, but that little car got the job done. The trick was to not shoot anything too big so you could fit the antlers in the back seat. :)

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
well looks like i'm the odd man out. I drive a 97 dodge cummins.Add four good tires in four wheel drive that weight will go through alot of snow but is almost helpless in two wheel drive. I gotta pull trailers alot though so I get the use out of it. I would rather take a fourwheeler or horse if the road is too bad though

G Posik

WKR
Td- my four wheeler ( taco) has heat, a/c and is dry when it rains. If the taco cannot get there on the trail, time to walk any ways.:D

Glenn