Mountain Hunting Workout...What is Yours?

alaska80

FNG
Over the years I have developed this workout (piecemealed from others) to hunt Alaska's backcountry. It has served me very well and at 41 I have less injuries and am in overall better condition than when I was a 25yo Infantry Officer training 2-3 hours per day.

Attached is the workout and the base of what I do. Weekends are spent in the mountains hiking/canoeing/rafting or building/chores around the house prepping for winter. I also grease the groove KB swings, lunges and walk lots of stairs throughout the week.

When I am tired I scale it back or take a day off (wish I had learned that lesson 10 years ago).

I am claiming nothing about this training other than it works for me and am posting it because I love to read about training and seeing how others have found success.

Would appreciate to see what others training plans are like (looking for nothing proprietary).

Attachments

• 2022_2_DAY_STRENGTH_2_DAY_CONDITIONING.pdf
    100.3 KB · Views: 505

bozeman

WKR
Thanks for sharing....mine has been:
CrossFit 3-4X/week with 1 weighted ruck throughout the year, start to slow down in July to 2X/week with 2 weighted rucks, 2 week break with NO exercise after 9 days of elk hunting then back to CrossFit3-4X/week with 1 weighted ruck........has served me well.

I just walk 10-20k steps/day at work. A big portion of those steps are on stairs. I work at a fairly big plant and most of it can only be accessed on foot. If time allows I skip the very few elevators and walk when I could drive. I have the added advantage of living at 6,200’ so going to 10.000’ isn’t a shock. I’m considering adding a weighted vest to wear at work. I’d get some odd looks but I can live with that.

MrMarc

FNG
Good stuff. Iv been trying to formulate what works best for me, and I’ll probably implement some of this for sure.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine isn't overly complicated, but has been very effective for me. I hike 4-7 miles almost daily. I'm fortunate that almost all the local trails have a good amount of gain/loss- usually averages out to ~ 200'/mile, which translates into steeper than that in one stretch and downhill on another.

Often the weekend sees a longer hike, typically 10-15 miles. Roughly once a month I get a multi-day trip in (sometimes very (very) arduous).

I strength train twice a week using a modified Wendler 5/3/1 which puts emphasis on the larger compound lifts- deadlifts, squats, bench and overhead press. In addition to the four major lifts I sprinkle pull/chin ups, lunges, dips and a variety of core exercises.

About 8 weeks prior to hunting season I start rucking a weighted pack twice a week (but still hiking like I do the other other days). I start out 30# and a two weeks out am up to 60-ish #. The last two weeks I scale the weight back, basically a taper like long distance runners use before an event.

I've been doing this for roughly a decade and it works. The emphasis is on the almost daily hikes that aren't slow, but aren't panting fast- this is the base builder. If you're not spending time building an aerobic base, you're not going to be in top condition come hunting season. Building an adequate base is usually measured in years, not weeks or months.

Mountain athletes and the scientific community have have embraced this concept. It's not overly exciting or jazzy, but it works :)

Check out the Uphill Athlete site, lots of good (and free) information on training for the mountains.

OP
alaska80

alaska80

FNG
Mine isn't overly complicated, but has been very effective for me. I hike 4-7 miles almost daily. I'm fortunate that almost all the local trails have a good amount of gain/loss- usually averages out to ~ 200'/mile, which translates into steeper than that in one stretch and downhill on another.

Often the weekend sees a longer hike, typically 10-15 miles. Roughly once a month I get a multi-day trip in (sometimes very (very) arduous).

I strength train twice a week using a modified Wendler 5/3/1 which puts emphasis on the larger compound lifts- deadlifts, squats, bench and overhead press. In addition to the four major lifts I sprinkle pull/chin ups, lunges, dips and a variety of core exercises.

About 8 weeks prior to hunting season I start rucking a weighted pack twice a week (but still hiking like I do the other other days). I start out 30# and a two weeks out am up to 60-ish #. The last two weeks I scale the weight back, basically a taper like long distance runners use before an event.

I've been doing this for roughly a decade and it works. The emphasis is on the almost daily hikes that aren't slow, but aren't panting fast- this is the base builder. If you're not spending time building an aerobic base, you're not going to be in top condition come hunting season. Building an adequate base is usually measured in years, not weeks or months.

Mountain athletes and the scientific community have have embraced this concept. It's not overly exciting or jazzy, but it works :)

Check out the Uphill Athlete site, lots of good (and free) information on training for the mountains.
Looks like a great plan. I am a huge fan of uphill athlete and Training for the New Alpinism. Agree on the base building, as it does take years to build.

The one thing I have found though with uphill athlete is that they bias more toward light and fast. Which requires a lower bodyweight, whereas hunting in Alaska is light and fast until you shoot something, then it goes heavy and slow. For the past 12 years I have also hauled a good portion of my kid's gear on sheep/moose hunts etc., so I have had heavier packs than what would normally be necessary. I only say this to emphasize that based on uphill athlete at 6'0 my ideal alpinist weight would be about 175 with a lower strength to BW ratio than I currently have, which is predicated on going fast with only about 25-30% BW on my back. What I have found though is that my ideal BW is about 190 @ 6'0, this allows sufficient strength to carry multiple loads in excess of 100lbs for miles.

Last year my moose pack out covered a total of 27 miles (by GPS) over not heinous, but rigorous terrain. Loads varied from 100ish to 150ish for HQs.

I will have to to cite the papers, but one thing that has been interesting to me is that the scientific community is finding that one can increase their aerobic capacity throughout their life. Speed peaks in your 20's, strength/power peaks in your 30's, but your aerobic capacity can improve for decades. That is very pleasing to a type A lifelong fitness freak on the other side of 40 and it explains why I got out walked by a guy who was almost 70.

RedPaint

FNG
Lots of great information here. Wholeheartedly agree with all the base cardio comments. I am mid 40s and have had great success with "grease the groove" for pull ups. I started at being able to do 3 pull ups many years ago and now do 10-15 sets of 10 super slow and strict pull ups 3 days a week. I do other forms of strength training too, but feel like I have all my strength needs met from just the volume of pull ups. (I am not going to win any strongman contests, but talking functional strength such as lifting heavy things, grappling.....) For anyone who can not do pull ups, look up grease the groove.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like a great plan. I am a huge fan of uphill athlete and Training for the New Alpinism. Agree on the base building, as it does take years to build.

The one thing I have found though with uphill athlete is that they bias more toward light and fast. Which requires a lower bodyweight, whereas hunting in Alaska is light and fast until you shoot something, then it goes heavy and slow. For the past 12 years I have also hauled a good portion of my kid's gear on sheep/moose hunts etc., so I have had heavier packs than what would normally be necessary. I only say this to emphasize that based on uphill athlete at 6'0 my ideal alpinist weight would be about 175 with a lower strength to BW ratio than I currently have, which is predicated on going fast with only about 25-30% BW on my back. What I have found though is that my ideal BW is about 190 @ 6'0, this allows sufficient strength to carry multiple loads in excess of 100lbs for miles.

Last year my moose pack out covered a total of 27 miles (by GPS) over not heinous, but rigorous terrain. Loads varied from 100ish to 150ish for HQs.

I will have to to cite the papers, but one thing that has been interesting to me is that the scientific community is finding that one can increase their aerobic capacity throughout their life. Speed peaks in your 20's, strength/power peaks in your 30's, but your aerobic capacity can improve for decades. That is very pleasing to a type A lifelong fitness freak on the other side of 40 and it explains why I got out walked by a guy who was almost 70.

Yeah I don't pay attention to their weight stuff :) I'm 5'11"and ~ 185 (+/- 5 lbs) and that's a good weight for me.

Agreed hauling meat out requires both strength and endurance (and a little grit never hurts either! :D). I think some of the mountain athletes might miss the mark a bit on the strength training; might not be as important in some disciplines, but backpack hunting it certainly is.

rodney482

WKR
Im 50 and 235 And a flat lander

Been getting after elk for 17 years

Killed 4 bulls and 3 cows

Jog
Bike
Hike w 45# pack

I do the above multiple times per week from May to Sept

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
2021 - Lots of running and some weighted hikes with 40lbs -70lbs. Seemed to work pretty well, but wish I had a little more balance with strength.
2022 - Running 2-3 times/week, Mountain biking 3-4 times/week. Running a modified 5/3/1 as I'm lifting daily and skipping the deload week. Come July, I'll start adding in weighted hikes 1-2 times a week and reduce the mountain biking.

Note on my modified 5/3/1 - I have it very stripped down to try help balance it with lifting daily and running/mtb. I do the main lift, one set of FSL, and then either chin ups (Squat/Deadlift assistance) or push ups(Press/Bench assistance). I shoot for 40-50 reps of each per workout.

Mdanks

FNG

Do you weight your pack with sand bags?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you weight your pack with sand bags?

Yup- I have a have half filled one (lots of tape on it) @ 30 #, 3/4 bag @ 45 # and a full 60 # one. I've found 60 lbs to be more than adequate for prepping for meat loads; I rarely exceed 80-ish lbs hauling meat (but have :D)

Hpark3r

FNG
I farm.
Doesn’t sound like it but I guess I do enough strenuous stuff in the average day that most smart people get to avoid. It works out great, because I’m usually scrambling like crazy trying to get things set up so I can sneak away for a few days to hunt without too big of a train wreck when I return.

Bmarcks31

FNG
MTI (mountain tactical institute), formerly known as military athlete/mountain athlete has a ton of experience training soldiers and mountain professionals going up and down mountains with weight and has a backcountry hunting specific plan. You can buy the whole 6 month plan directly for like $120 or just subscribe for I think $30 per month.
As a bowhunter I run their more strength centric workouts from October to April, then do the backcountry hunter plan from April to Sept. I live in a relatively flat area so dont have immediate access to pack hikes with 1000+ feet of elevation gain so the program has been helpful.

I looked into MTN tough and liked what the had to offer but a fair amount of their exercises involved very specific equipment (E.g. Ski erg) unless you do their body weight program.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
The thing I always wish I was better prepared for is cardio. I think it’s the most overlooked part about true mountain hunting

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The thing I always wish I was better prepared for is cardio. I think it’s the most overlooked part about true mountain hunting

I think this is true. Part of it I think is it's not nearly as "sexy" as lifting, HIT, etc.

You also don't see the results as quickly as the above- it takes a looooooong time to build an aerobic base AND it has to be very consistent.

I think those two things contribute to aerobic training being passed over by a lot of folks.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I think this is true. Part of it I think is it's not nearly as "sexy" as lifting, HIT, etc.

You also don't see the results as quickly as the above- it takes a looooooong time to build an aerobic base AND it has to be very consistent.

I think those two things contribute to aerobic training being passed over by a lot of folks.

I agree, it’s pretty important to get some sort of cardio in most days. I like using a concept2 rower for that since I can just get it done at home. 50-60k a week seems to do me good. Now, if I could just get up and do it before work consistently rather than after work or at night then I’d be set.