Mountain hunting sidearm

Stickmark

FNG
A handguns is easier to use at night if a bear wants a piece of me. I will need to wake up and get into action. I always carry a small handgun, small enough that if I kill a bear in self defense with it, I will have some bragging rights. In my mind, and in my experience, having the gun on me is important, this means lighter weight and easy to access. Caveat: non grizzly country.

madcalfe

WKR
I live in British Columbia so not allowed a handgun unfortunately.
1 round is chambered for the duration of my hunt the moment I step off my jet boat when going for sheep.
Also don't carry spray.

wyogoat

WKR
I’m in Wyoming and spend quite a bit of time in grizzly range here and in Montana. I’ve always carried an alloy framed .44 mag in the past but went to a 10mm this year for the mag capacity…12 v 5 rounds.
I see the point some make of not carrying a handgun when they have a rifle but I think when you’re in the tent is a somewhat likely time to have that encounter and I’d rather bring a pistol to bare than a rifle in that situation. Also in the event of being attacked while out you can fire that pistol from retention a little easier. Just my opinion.
I don’t carry spray either.
And I don’t carry at all in black bear country, just when there’s bears with humps…

G30s in my Kenai Chest Holster under my Alaska Guide Creations bino harness. Been perfect for me for years now and I’m never without my pistol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vladkgb

FNG
I run a G20 as well. It sits in a safariland holster that's down around my thigh, so its out of the way of my pack's hip pads. After reading and hearing stories of grizz encounters, i like the idea of having extra ammo, plus it's lighter and easier to shoot than a revolver.

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
I will be carrying a Glock 48 or Glock 45 for my first solo trip in the mountains in NM. No grizzlies but could be black bear or mountain lion.

If it make you feel better/safer and is legal, just do it, regardless of other people opinions.

I'm no authority on bear defense or packing handguns on mountain hunts, but a few years back, I met an Alaskan named Steve Nelson at Gunsite. It was a fascinating conversation that changed my mind about bear defense. I was so impressed that I had him write an article for Guns & Ammo PISTOL magazine.

Steve spent a career in mineral exploration in the wilds of Alaska. From 1965 to 2008, he killed 4 bears that charged him, two black bears and two grizzlies. On these bears, he used a .375 H&H, .30-06, .44 Mag, and .454 Casual. (If you like data, during that same time, he had 220 nonaggressive bear encounters as well.)

For stopping a charging bear, he said a rifle is the best choice. No surprise there. Next up was a shotgun with slugs. After that, I asked about handguns: 10mm vs. big-bore revolver. He said revolvers were superior due to energy and reliability.

That made sense. A 10mm is sightly behind a .357 Mag. in terms of energy, and well, there's less to go wrong with a revolver. However, I countered by noting the 10mm's big advantage over a revolver: ammo capacity. After all, isn't 15 rounds better than 6? He agreed that more firepower is a good thing, but he had data to back up why that didn't matter on bear charges.

Steve had (or maybe has) a firearm training company that specialized in bear defense. They ran simulations, one of which was a charging bear. From the holster, semiauto shooters were faster and had a slightly higher hit ratio. Makes sense.

However, regardless of handgun type, he said the best shooters only got off 4 rounds during the simulated charge. Yikes. Even more concerning to Steve was the number of pistol shooters who panicked, limp-wristed their 10mm, and induced malfunctions. I guess it was common.

Bear attacks are rare, but they do happen, so I don't judge anyone based on what they do or don't pack. Regardless of firearm selection, a bear charge sounds like the most terrifying wilderness experience possible. bear.png

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
Full size M&P 10mm in a Gunfighters Inc Kenai chest rig. It is very comfortable and right there if you need it. Wouldn't carry it any other way.

gtriple

WKR
I’m in Wyoming and spend quite a bit of time in grizzly range here and in Montana. I’ve always carried an alloy framed .44 mag in the past but went to a 10mm this year for the mag capacity…12 v 5 rounds.
I see the point some make of not carrying a handgun when they have a rifle but I think when you’re in the tent is a somewhat likely time to have that encounter and I’d rather bring a pistol to bare than a rifle in that situation. Also in the event of being attacked while out you can fire that pistol from retention a little easier. Just my opinion.
I don’t carry spray either.
And I don’t carry at all in black bear country, just when there’s bears with humps…
What 10mm are you running?

wyogoat

WKR
Went with the Springfield XD Elite with the shorter barrel. It was retirement gift from my SWAT team but if I were picking one out i would probably go with the Smith just because I like that pistol better.

gtriple

WKR
Went with the Springfield XD Elite with the shorter barrel. It was retirement gift from my SWAT team but if I were picking one out i would probably go with the Smith just because I like that pistol better.
Mind explaining why you like the Smith better? Those have been the 2 pistols I'm looking at prior to this coming season.

wyogoat

WKR
I just like the ergonomics better but I haven’t shot a Smith so that’s all based on feel and I do have the M and P in 9. The XD feels like it sits up really high in my hand.

I'm no authority on bear defense or packing handguns on mountain hunts, but a few years back, I met an Alaskan named Steve Nelson at Gunsite. It was a fascinating conversation that changed my mind about bear defense. I was so impressed that I had him write an article for Guns & Ammo PISTOL magazine.

Steve spent a career in mineral exploration in the wilds of Alaska. From 1965 to 2008, he killed 4 bears that charged him, two black bears and two grizzlies. On these bears, he used a .375 H&H, .30-06, .44 Mag, and .454 Casual. (If you like data, during that same time, he had 220 nonaggressive bear encounters as well.)

For stopping a charging bear, he said a rifle is the best choice. No surprise there. Next up was a shotgun with slugs. After that, I asked about handguns: 10mm vs. big-bore revolver. He said revolvers were superior due to energy and reliability.

That made sense. A 10mm is sightly behind a .357 Mag. in terms of energy, and well, there's less to go wrong with a revolver. However, I countered by noting the 10mm's big advantage over a revolver: ammo capacity. After all, isn't 15 rounds better than 6? He agreed that more firepower is a good thing, but he had data to back up why that didn't matter on bear charges.

Steve had (or maybe has) a firearm training company that specialized in bear defense. They ran simulations, one of which was a charging bear. From the holster, semiauto shooters were faster and had a slightly higher hit ratio. Makes sense.

However, regardless of handgun type, he said the best shooters only got off 4 rounds during the simulated charge. Yikes. Even more concerning to Steve was the number of pistol shooters who panicked, limp-wristed their 10mm, and induced malfunctions. I guess it was common.

Bear attacks are rare, but they do happen, so I don't judge anyone based on what they do or don't pack. Regardless of firearm selection, a bear charge sounds like the most terrifying wilderness experience possible. View attachment 565112
Taught both revolver and semi handgun for a lot of years, it showed me that the semis or at least the newer ones have large ammo caps (I am a big 1911 45 fan) vs. a revolver and in a heated situation leads to more malfunctions for the average shooter. also induces a mindset of spray and pray type of thinking (at least one round is going to connect type of thinking) In saying this if I were to go into a fight with either man or beast my choice is a wheel gun, of suitable cal for most this falls into the 357 mag. range. THE REVOLVER IS EASY TO FUNCTION AND NO CLEARING A MALFUNCTION TRAINING IS NECESSARY, or not as involved as with a semi. IF THE GUN GOES CLICK JUST CONTINUE TO PULL THE TRIGGER TYPE OF THING. But where it's at is within the shooters ability to control one's, mind set especially in a bad situation not to mention controlling the gun, this is where practice with the weapon is paramount. I usually hunt alone there are black bears in my area (no Hiram's) My weapon of choice is a 686 Smith and Wesson 4 in barrel and top shelf ammo, Luckly I have never had to use it but it is a comfort knowing it's there, for the guys who only have a rifle think about this you have a deer down and in the process of field dressing, preparing the animal for a pack out that type of thing, even then you if like me your rifle is never out of reach, but the next thing you know the bear is on you or charging at close range chances are you would not have time to go to the rifle and the revolver is right on your person. and better accessible. I like the charging bear target, I have shot and practiced on charging man targets but a lot of difference in both of those when you know the target is coming at you vs. a real charge. THE KEY ISSUES HERE ARE KNOW YOUR ABILITIES, AND PRACTICE AND KNOW YOUR WEAPON OF CHOICE AND HOW IT IS GOING TO PREFORM.

WKB

Lil-Rokslider
I have a S&W M69 Combat Magnum with 2.75" barrel in 44 Mag and Glock 40 MOS in 10mm that I alternate depending on the climate/ clothing/ weight restrictions.
the Glock is probably honestly the better gun, but the thought of that slide coming out of battery while pressed up against a furry mattress makes me veer at times to the wheel gun.

When I carry one, it is my SA xDM Elite 10mm compact. Underwood 200 or 220 grain hardcast FN. I get right around 1100-1150 fps with the 3.8” barrel. I have a full size xDM 10mm with a 5.3” barrel that gets about 75-100 fps more. Underwood fps specs, in my experience, have been pretty accurate. And I’m not giving up much with the 3.8”. And even less compared to the more common 4.5” barrel. 11+1 rounds and I have a 15 round mag as well. 12 satisfies me.

I carry it rifle and archery. Like others have said, it is nice to have in a tent and around camp. Can be quicker to access and easier to use in tight surroundings. And I can use it for my concealed carry gun when I go on trips where I will be carrying it while hunting.

I’d prefer a 44 mag minimum but would only carry it if I got one of the ultra light ones. Then likely wouldn’t shoot it enough. I shoot my 10mm fairly often and have a great time with it. Much more likely to train with it. But I might go the light 44 mag one day. Still working on my preferred method to carry it.

If I am archery hunting I carry a Glock 20, if I am rifle hunting I do not carry a pistol......until I shoot an animal and am on a multi trip pack out adventure. Once I hit my truck I strip my pack to essentials, throw my holster on and pack the rest carrying a pistol.

Beendare

WKR
Gawd, we are a bunch of hunters…one would think we know by now its all about training…but every year guys use these backup guns with only a few rounds down the tube.

We can’t blame malfunctions on the gun itself…especially a Glock or HK.

I think hard cast ammo is going to eventually prove the big caliber guys wrong. I’m no stranger to animal charges, I ‘m easily up over 20….and I will take a semi auto with hard cast that I’ve trained with all summer over my .357 or .44 any time and all day on sunday.