Mountain hunting sidearm

How many of you carry a sidearm while mountain hunting? The weight seems excessive for the benefits. Seems like bear spray and then unslinging my hunting rifle would do the job. I have a Glock 20 and hunt sheep and goats in south central AK. Thanks.

jeedo

FNG
Probably depends how you carry it, but I keep a 10mm XDM on my pack belt and hardly notice it's there. I do the chest holster sometimes but don't prefer it.

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
You know, I had the same thought about the unslung rifle a few years ago, and decided to leave my heavy pistol in the truck. Wouldn’t you know that was the evening I spent bumping into a mountain Lion in the failing light while trying to push through a brushy canyon bottom. Suddenly that 24” barrel 270 with a 2-10X scope wasn’t so great.

Since then, I parked the 4” 629 and got a S&W 310 Night Guard. Lightweight scandium frame, tritium night sights, and load 10mm as hot as you want (or 10mm Auto Mag if you punch the cylinder and get the brass). Mind you, this was before the prices on the Scandium Smiths skyrocketed, but I don’t leave the truck without it. Makes a nice lightweight addition to the bugout bag also with a couple of spare moon clips.

OP
Sheepshape
You know, I had the same thought about the unslung rifle a few years ago, and decided to leave my heavy pistol in the truck. Wouldn’t you know that was the evening I spent bumping into a mountain Lion in the failing light while trying to push through a brushy canyon bottom. Suddenly that 24” barrel 270 with a 2-10X scope wasn’t so great.

Since then, I parked the 4” 629 and got a S&W 310 Night Guard. Lightweight scandium frame, tritium night sights, and load 10mm as hot as you want (or 10mm Auto Mag if you punch the cylinder and get the brass). Mind you, this was before the prices on the Scandium Smiths skyrocketed, but I don’t leave the truck without it. Makes a nice lightweight addition to the bugout bag also with a couple of spare moon clips.
That’s what my father in law carry’s. He has an RMR on it. How do you carry it while hunting? I have a bino harness from Alaska guide creations and have mixed feelings about it.

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
Z9oh9an.jpg
I use a Razco holster attached to the bino harness. All in all it works pretty well, and I use it equally when hunting as when just prowling around backpacking.

OP
Sheepshape
Z9oh9an.jpg
I use a Razco holster attached to the bino harness. All in all it works pretty well, and I use it equally when hunting as when just prowling around backpacking.
I more or less have the same setup. Sidenote: sweet rifle setup ! How worth it is the suppressor?

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
I more or less have the same setup. Sidenote: sweet rifle setup ! How worth it is the suppressor?
Thanks! I’ve got another thread on the build. I did a lot of ARs, but that was my first bolt rifle build.

I got into the suppressor so I could shoot yotes behind the house without pissing off the neighbors. Seemed like a natural progression to take it on my next ungulate hunt. I know my first few hunts unsuppressed, there was always the mental dilemma in what was going to happen in the ten seconds fumbling around to get ear plugs in, or if I was just going to chance the tinnitus getting worse. No longer an issue with the can.

Only problem with suppressors is they multiply. I started with the a Sandman as an all around can, but found it pretty heavy for carting all over creation. I switched to the TBAC in that photo this year, and the reduced weight made a huge improvement in handling and packing it around. I’m led to believe the lighter can also may reduce POI shift issues, particularly on lighter profile barrels.

DWD

Lil-Rokslider
G20 has been my ticket. Since we are in the lightweight zone, if I recall correctly the g20 with full mag was still lighter than a SW629 empty.

Last edited:

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Glock 29 in chest holster (Razco) in grizz country and S&W M&P shield 40 in non grizz places on my pack waist belt.

The sidearm would have to be in a chest holster for sure, if you decide you need one. Easy access and won't interfere with other gear. I would still take a can of bear spray though...

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
Rifle hunting, a compact 9mm in my pack; archery hunting 10mm in side holster.

Jon_G

WKR
I asked the same thing recently and got a lot of feedback on the side of carrying than not. I like to do TONS of research for all of the gear I carry and carrying a gun means findings a holster for it. There are quite a bit of options but I personally liked the idea of carrying it on the holsters that go under your Bino harness. That is all a personal preference...

On the side of "carrying less weight" I too was worried about that. But in my personal opinion it is worth carrying a pistol. There are many options on gear to carry less weight but my safety and peace of mind are worth more.

I can see carrying a handgun while archery hunting, early season scouting, or hiking, but I only see drawbacks when rifle hunting. For the weight of even a small pistol, I can carry a luxury item or an extra half day of food. From a ballistics perspective, even a 10mm pistol is pathetic compared to an average hunting cartridge. If big bears are a concern, use a premium bullet in your chosen rifle cartridge. Win-win.

The only exception I can see would be carrying a .22LR pistol for popping grouse or squirrels. That's a different story.