Most Underrated or Undervalued Truck/SUV?

If I can fit the following in a rented Corolla you guys should be able to fit a hell of a lot more in larger and more spacious vehicles:
* Three broken down Nebraska whitetail; all meat, one cape, one skull (all fit fine in the trunk)
* All hunting gear including full-size Pelican case (backseat)
* All work gear (backpack, laptop, carry-on) (passenger seat)

Ticks? Double-wrap in trash bags and tape shut.

Pack like a sheep hunt and you'll have plenty of room for dead critters.
I'm not sure NB and MT have the same type of roads.

I'm not sure NB and MT have the same type of roads.
I apologize.

I gave too much credit to the Rokslide readers to figure out the intent was to show what can actually fit inside a small space rather than touting the superiority of the Corolla's off-road prowess. But a rental with full coverage can be far more adequate that a fully-capable vehicle the owner is afraid to get dirty, let alone to use.

I will say this. I am very happy that I do not fully subscribe to Rokslide dogma. Otherwise I'd never hunt while traveling due to having to to use an "inadequate" vehicle and/or gear to do so.

My 2013 4Runner has worked well. 130k on it so far. It gets around in most conditions.

43e9aee1e72cceaedacfac3da7f4ffd1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I apologize.

I gave too much credit to the Rokslide readers to figure out the intent was to show what can actually fit inside a small space rather than touting the superiority of the Corolla's off-road prowess. But a rental with full coverage can be far more adequate that a fully-capable vehicle the owner is afraid to get dirty, let alone to use.

I will say this. I am very happy that I do not fully subscribe to Rokslide dogma. Otherwise I'd never hunt while traveling due to having to to use an "inadequate" vehicle and/or gear to do so.
Yeah,
Im not super worried about the vehicle.
Its mostly the tires.
2 weeks of archery hunting in Mt most of the roads a sharp 3-4" rocks.
My 10 plys took a beating, can't believe I didn't get a flat, and the tread is shredded. Took at least a season off my tires. And it seems like it took an 1.5 hours at 25 mph to get any where.

I just couldn’t imagine trying to do it on a car tire.

You could do alot of hunting in Oregon in a car at least most all of the main for service roads are gravel.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
I've never thought of the a Lexus being an off road vehicle, aside from the ones that are the equivalent of the Land Cruisers. I just looked google the GX460 and those look great with bigger tires, different bumpers and a lift. I guess if they are the equivalent of the 4Runners, they are pretty capable.

All the Nissan line are solid vehicles. Xterra, frontier, pathfinder, titans are reliable tough rigs with solid aftermarket support. Best part is you don’t have to pay the Toyota tax. Bought a 02 xterra for 900 bucks and get a big shit eating grin every time I drive that thing up a sketchy forest service road.

The 2001 Chevy S-10 ZR2 that I use to have. It went everywhere I tried to go. I never had any major issues with it, just normal wear and tear parts.

Shraggs

WKR
1st Generation Tundra/sequoia imo
Simple, reliable, capable, as easy to work on as they get, big enough without being to big.
My biggest gripe is a 22 gallon gas tank. I don't necessarily mind the 15 mpg but the tank is just to small.
Then we built a 7x14 enclosed trailer. It tows fine but wholly crap. Dropped me to about 8.5 towing.

I love the tundra and can't afford a newer truck so the trailer may have to go.

I for sure won't take it on long trips I don't think. Just to expensive.
My 2000 tundra has mage multiple trips out west. Always worries with its age but she holds up. Did have one trip were power steering pump failed. A little challenge to get down the mountain but the drive home was uneventful.

I think this is a great pickup too. It’s smaller and lighter and easily handle two if you pack smart like a backpack hunter. Accommodations are the biggest challenge. I won’t ever pull a trailer west just too much if a struggle. Spike out, tent camp modestly or use the cap and sleep in the back, which I’ve starred downing snd love it!

Attachments

• 52851231-7836-4614-89F1-2AF7784482B2.jpeg
    52851231-7836-4614-89F1-2AF7784482B2.jpeg
    579.3 KB · Views: 53
OP
L

Loper

WKR
All the Nissan line are solid vehicles. Xterra, frontier, pathfinder, titans are reliable tough rigs with solid aftermarket support. Best part is you don’t have to pay the Toyota tax. Bought a 02 xterra for 900 bucks and get a big shit eating grin every time I drive that thing up a sketchy forest service road.

I’ve always liked Xterras even though I’d never been in one or drove one. How did you manage to get one for $900? Did it need a ton of work done to it? Did you buy it as a daily driver or just a recreational rig?

I’ve always liked Xterras even though I’d never been in one or drove one. How did you manage to get one for $900? Did it need a ton of work done to it? Did you buy it as a daily driver or just a recreational rig?
Previous owner spun it out and wrecked it on the interstate and bashed it up a little bit. Destroyed the bumper and put some dings on it but mechanically it’s fine. It’s rough to look at but the only things I had too do to it was replace a tail light and the washer fluid reservoir. Happened to open Craigslist at the right time and was the first person to show up with cash. I just use it as a hunting buggy and still feel like I stole it for what I paid.

JoeDirt

WKR
The 2001-2009 GMT360 GMC platform with the 4.2L I6

Envoy, Trailblaxzer, Buick Rainier, Isuzu Ascender, Oldsmobile Bravada, Saab 9-7X and Chevy Colorado

Subaru Crosstrek- will go anywhere a pickup will go as long as you put decent tires on it. Average 27-30 MPG with a roof box which leaves tons of room.

Yoder

WKR
Suzuki's were under valued for a long time. Now not so much. The Suzuki Equator is a Nissan Frontier with a different grill and is a couple thousand cheaper. The other one I've found to be cheaper is a Nissan Pathfinder. The Xterra is apparently made of gold. Especially the Pro-4X model. I've seen some selling for close to $30k. I've been looking at SUV's for months. I just can't bring myself to pay $10-$15k for a 12 yr old vehicle that should cost half that. I'm waiting for the economy to collapse and I'll pick up somebody's $50k truck that get's repoed for half price.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Previous owner spun it out and wrecked it on the interstate and bashed it up a little bit. Destroyed the bumper and put some dings on it but mechanically it’s fine. It’s rough to look at but the only things I had too do to it was replace a tail light and the washer fluid reservoir. Happened to open Craigslist at the right time and was the first person to show up with cash. I just use it as a hunting buggy and still feel like I stole it for what I paid.

That’s awesome! Nice grab!