Most Underrated or Undervalued Truck/SUV?

Loper

WKR
What truck or SUV is very capable off-road but doesn't get enough credit? Is there anything new or old (within last couple decade) that does well off-road and is under valued in the current marketplace?

jimh406

WKR
I agree GX460 or GX470 although their prices are rising as well. Still, there are still good deals to be had on few year old perfectly maintained ones when you compare to the rest of the market.

A loaded GX460 with around 30K miles on it and a few years old is a much better vehicle than every other model/brand. Given the choice between a $40K few year old with 30-40K and a brand new SUV of any brand that probably costs more, I'll take the Lexus every time. They can easily go a few hundred thousand miles and are bulletproof since they've had the same basic components for 13 years. The downside is less fancy OEM electronics like CarPlay etc. which is not a problem for me.

There are a lot of YouTube videos that show the capability of the GX models if you are interested.

Btw, I'd also say Lexus is undervalued across their entire line. You get a lot of value across their line by paying a bit more than you would a Toyota with similar features. If you buy used like me, it's pretty easy to find used ones that have full service records online. Most people would rather have a lessor quality new vehicle which means less buyers for few year old Lexus models.

Buckman

WKR
In the last month I went from Wi. to OK. to buy a rust free high mileage Suburban(211,000 miles) Didn't even test drive it. Just got in and drove her home. Things could have gone badly but didn't. I have a automotive background so that helps. Wanted something SIMPLE to fix when it breaks and its going to break. Only one computer to go tits up on the thing, and parts are cheap. Prolly need a lift kit to make it back road better. Just food for thought. Forgot to say its a 99 suburban 4x4 5.7 engine last year of the good old 350.

TNLC100

FNG
I would say Lexus GX is pretty popular around here. Maybe not 5-10 yrs ago, but I do agree they have increased in popularity recently. Underrated, I would think of something like Toyota Highlander. Will accomplish what 95% of folks need out of a 4x4 vehicle, not as "cool" as some other options, but great reliability and canbe bought much cheaper than LC/ GX/ 4R.

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
In it's class the Chevy traverse is priced very well. Not saying it's going to meet your off road demands but if you're looking for that mid size SUV it is a good value

Brendan

WKR
If an SUV is your thing - Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. Lacks in space, much more capable than any pickup I've had stock, and plenty luxurious in side if you spend a lot of time in it. Still feel the need to go back to a pickup though. Some pics from this year, but I've had it in some pretty crazy places and situations.
27cc43d28046064f22117e7959a0f58c.jpg
fad8c7a1976444878daf9401ed70b250.jpg
3886976578ff7184713f1041ea0128eb.jpg
8b0dd1d03cf7cf682d7fd205b8d03c19.jpg

How many times a year do you want to use it and for how many years?

May want to consider renting when needed. It does not make much financial sense dropping $30K+ (for example) on a high-mileage vehicle to only use it 2-3 times a year for hunting.

The 2005-2019 Nissan Frontier (D40 - 2nd generation) is my pick. Very reliable, easy to work on, and significantly cheaper than a Toyota Tacoma. The only downside, not as many aftermarket options as a Tacoma, if that’s your thing.

Fordguy

WKR
This spring I bought an 08 Nissan frontier with just over 100k on the odometer- it's been a decent small pickup, gets around pretty much anywhere I want to go and gets ok mileage depending on what I'm doing with it (maybe 20 mpg). Only issue is that the fuel gauge doesn't work- so I keep track of the mileage and fuel up every 250 miles or so (even though I'm sure I could drive farther on a full tank). It's a 4 cyl and I used it to tow a trailer with 2 of my motorcycles across 5 states with no issues.
The older nissan frontiers get a bad rap for transmission/coolant leaks, but that's only a concern with the automatic transmission. With few exceptions, I've always preferred a manual.

How many times a year do you want to use it and for how many years?

May want to consider renting when needed. It does not make much financial sense dropping $30K+ (for example) on a high-mileage vehicle to only use it 2-3 times a year for hunting.
Maybe if you use toro, but I couldn't imagine going the places I hunt on thin highway tires and without properly fitted chains.

I've thought about this. Finding a place that rents Maybe f150 would be the most likely.
Buying my own set of tires and wheels/chains then swapping them on.

But my luck id have a set of tires sitting there the next year and couldn't find an f150

1st Generation Tundra/sequoia imo
Simple, reliable, capable, as easy to work on as they get, big enough without being to big.
My biggest gripe is a 22 gallon gas tank. I don't necessarily mind the 15 mpg but the tank is just to small.
Then we built a 7x14 enclosed trailer. It tows fine but wholly crap. Dropped me to about 8.5 towing.

I love the tundra and can't afford a newer truck so the trailer may have to go.

I for sure won't take it on long trips I don't think. Just to expensive.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Late 90's AWD RX300. My buddy picked me up in one and I sort of looked at it like, what the hell are we taking onto these nasty forest service roads? It handled it WAY better than my pickup. Lots of room in the back, comfortable, heated seats... I fell asleep which I rarely do in vehicles.

Late 90's AWD RX300. My buddy picked me up in one and I sort of looked at it like, what the hell are we taking onto these nasty forest service roads? It handled it WAY better than my pickup. Lots of room in the back, comfortable, heated seats... I fell asleep which I rarely do in vehicles.
What do you do if you actually kill something though? Besides tires thats a major problem for me with cars/suv roof rack/ small trailer?

Do you just not hunt archery season? Were not really allowed to skin the face in Oregon and im not putting a tick infested cape inside.

N.ID7803

WKR
The Nissan Titan. Cheaper than a Toyota and in my opinion just as reliable. Has a 100k factory warranty. Unfortunately, Nissan is discontinuing the Titan due to lack of sales. Ive owned 2 Titans and a Frontier and all 3 I would buy again.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
What do you do if you actually kill something though? Besides tires thats a major problem for me with cars/suv roof rack/ small trailer?

Do you just not hunt archery season? Were not really allowed to skin the face in Oregon and im not putting a tick infested cape inside.
He has this storage rack/box thing he made that goes into the hitch receiver. Has room for a large cooler then strap down the rest on top of the cooler. We both killed deer, no issues.

If I can fit the following in a rented Corolla you guys should be able to fit a hell of a lot more in larger and more spacious vehicles:
* Three broken down Nebraska whitetail; all meat, one cape, one skull (all fit fine in the trunk)
* All hunting gear including full-size Pelican case (backseat)
* All work gear (backpack, laptop, carry-on) (passenger seat)

Ticks? Double-wrap in trash bags and tape shut.

Pack like a sheep hunt and you'll have plenty of room for dead critters.