Most Underrated or Undervalued Truck/SUV?

BWlongbow

Lil-Rokslider
See a few of the older Samurai Suzuki 4x4's here in Georgia which are rigged up for off-road use and hunting. Looks like it would be really good at getting into and out of tight places in the swamps. I have seen one that was setup with a flatbed.

Terrapin

WKR
See a few of the older Samurai Suzuki 4x4's here in Georgia which are rigged up for off-road use and hunting. Looks like it would be really good at getting into and out of tight places in the swamps. I have seen one that was setup with a flatbed.

I’ve always wanted a Suzuki Samurai with a VW TDI conversion. Very capable four wheel drive with a super efficient diesel engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Austink47

WKR
In the spirit of underrated and undervalued the Isuzu trooper gets my vote. May be older than you want but I had a 96 stick shift V6 4x4 that was an absolute tank. If Toyota made the same truck it would be selling for God knows what.

dkynoch

FNG
I had a 2001 GMC Yukon for 12 years that had 265k on it when I sold it and I still see the new owners driving it around. I think the GM truck platform from the early 2000's with the 5.3 liter is every bit as reliable as a Toyota. I have a 2022 Tundra now so I am not bashing on Toyota in any way.

The Yukon rode really nice off road because it had coil springs on the rear axle. They are for sale for under 5k all the time.

They are perhaps overvalued, but every toyota truck or suv I’ve owned has done extremely well. The first Gen tundra I recently sold only got stuck in sticky mud when it was buried up to the frame when I accidentally drove over a recently excavated trench that had recently been filled in before a couple inches of rain.

I don’t think it gets enough credit for being off road capable, but both generations of the sequoia are excellent. My wife drives a 2008 sequoia with 285k miles on it and it has been dead reliable and hasn’t gotten stuck. We don’t off road much, just live off a dirt/gravel road and 4wd is a necessity for when it rains or we have to drive over/around road blockages.

Bolt

Lil-Rokslider
My wife has a kia telluride, I dare not take it off road but it is fully capable. I've seen a few pictures of people lifting and adding aggressive tires, roof racks ect. Not sure what they cost now but we got ours for sub $40k and the only thing we didn't get was the fancy wheel package.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
Call me crazy but the new Mavericks are a pretty slick deal. I typically don’t buy Ford because their quality isn’t as good as it used to be but even with the cost of maintenance on those guys it’s a pretty good deal.

The only reason I didn’t buy one by now is because Ford mandated vaccines and I won’t support a company who does that.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
In the spirit of underrated and undervalued the Isuzu trooper gets my vote. May be older than you want but I had a 96 stick shift V6 4x4 that was an absolute tank. If Toyota made the same truck it would be selling for God knows what.

I’ve thought the Troppers were rugged looking SUVs but I don’t have experience with them.

My brother had a Rodeo back in the early 2000’s but it didn’t have 4 wheel drive. I don’t remember him having any issues with it. If I recall though it was a rebranded Honda Passport.

I agree with you on the Toyota badge.

Last edited:

Jarhead17

FNG
I have a 2000 Tahoe 5.3 with g80 factory rear end paid 3000 4 years ago will go anywhere . I had a 99 suburban before same rear end 5.7 engine nice because it had a huge gas tank I believe it was 38 gallons. I paid 4000 for that sold it for 4,500 both are good for getting to hunting spots.

wesfromky

WKR
Another vote for Nissan - I wish they would release an updated XTerra, but will likely be buying a frontier soon.

Also, they get a lot of flak here, but subarus do great and get very good gas mileage.

lacofdfireman

Lil-Rokslider
Hard to beat the ride off-road of an older Jeep Grand Cherokee. Those things ride so incredible off road and are super capable if you get the right one. Cheap and worth a look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro