Most fun bird to hunt?

Dog or no do? My reccemendstions differ. For fun I like guns and chukar with a dog, without a dog easiest is probably grouse or quail, it’s all fun in my book!

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
Spring turkey: If you are sitting in a blind you are doing it wrong.

In the fall: Ruffed Grouse. (Northern WI) Hits the perfect balance of effort to reward, nice shotguns, tradition, and dog work.

Pheasants are by far my favorite. Really like working the dog in shorter vegetation where I can watch her put the puzzle together and freeze the bird. I'm in it for the time with my English Setter. Duck and Goose hunted through my youth but completely lost interest as big game/pheasant hunting consumes my fall/winter.

yfarm

WKR
When I was young, I was a duck hunter with no thought of time. Sitting for hours for a few seconds of shooting
When I was middle aged, pheasants and quail were my prey, walking for hours on cool blue sky days
Now I am old and like nothing better than pass shooting doves, more shooting in an evening than several months of duck hunting or a week of pheasant hunting. Humbling at times when you think you have it all figured out. Only downside is feeling sweat running down your back while you stand in the shade.

Attachments

• IMG_2380.jpeg
    IMG_2380.jpeg
    548.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2382.jpeg
    IMG_2382.jpeg
    471.3 KB · Views: 12

GSPHUNTER

WKR
When I was young, I was a duck hunter with no thought of time. Sitting for hours for a few seconds of shooting
When I was middle aged, pheasants and quail were my prey, walking for hours on cool blue sky days
Now I am old and like nothing better than pass shooting doves, more shooting in an evening than several months of duck hunting or a week of pheasant hunting. Humbling at times when you think you have it all figured out. Only downside is feeling sweat running down your back while you stand in the shade.
I agree with the types of hunt you do now days. I absolutely love your choice of hunting companion. I have owned eight GSP's, Lost my last on last Oct 5th. Sadly he was the last one I will ever own. I'm told old to try training another GSP. and I don't want some else dog. Hunting without a dog just isn't the same. :(

yfarm

WKR
I was in the same boat after my last lab died. Hunted pheasants with a friends Vizsla after a lifetime of labs, harassed the bh about another bird dog and found this rescue living wild in a junkyard at 5 months old. First couple of months was rough, sent her to a trainer for 3 months, she called at one month and said come get her won’t work. Hunted her on pheasants at 14 months and was a little nervous with the guns. Would not retrieve birds just tennis balls. Lives in the house, kept working with her, this year the switch turned on, is a dove maniac. Sits next to me, watches my swing and hears the gun go off and is like a lazer straight to the bird and back to me. Finds cripples, caught one 2 days ago flying 3 feet off the ground. Crawls under huisache bushes for cripples. Has invigorated my bird hunting, get another dog you are never too old. Will never get any dog but a gsp, intelligence and drive is amazing. Just took me 70 yrs to learn it. Lots of rescue gsps on Tx gsp group on fb. Save a dog and find joy as I did.