Most fun bird to hunt?

87TT

WKR
Probably not where you live but chucker beat all those others for hard.

hobbes

WKR
Turkeys are my preference. I'm not sure where you got the idea that turkey hunting is done from a blind but I've hunted them for over 30 years and only once let someone talk me into sitting in a blind. I never sit decoys. You've been fed a line of bull by folks that do hunt that way.

My preference over a bird dog in the fall and winter months is pheasants, but I've hunted bobwhites, sharptail and huns over a pointing dog. They are all fun and the same dog, gun, vest, ammo, truck, etc canne used for all.

Waterfowl are fun as heck and are likely plentiful in more locations but I think probably cost the most, as far gear goes, to hunt.

One shotgun can be purchased to hunt any of them. Just adjust ammo as necessary. A versatile dog can do any of it but I'd prefer a versatile or lab for phez, a traditional pointing breed for quail, huns, and grouse, and a lab for waterfowl, but that's all preference and there's a pile of differing opinions. No dog necessary for turkeys.

Turkeys will cost the least to get into unless you listen to the load of bull you'll hear on necessary gear. You need a shotgun (needed for all), camo, boots, a call or two. It's the madness that follows that costs you.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
They're all fun, your wife is cruel for making you pick only one 😉

Some bird hunting can be done with little expense. I duck hunted for several years with a $300 shotgun, 12 decoys and a canoe. Had a blast and did very well. But, that has led into several thousand $$ for another boat, blinds, decoys, new shotgun, dog.......... Still have allot of fun but find myself getting a little to critical about details and that takes some of the enjoyment away. Sometimes, simple is better.

For me, it's about geography. Out upland hunting here is crap so it's waterfowl or travel hundred of miles to hunt. I have hunted pheasant a few times and would give up all my waterfowl gear in a heartbeat to be able to hunt wild pheasant near home.

Also, if you are really interested in bird hunting (aside from Turkey) a dog will at some point be on the list. Big expense when you look at a dog over it's life, lots of time for training needed. But so worth it.

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
I know the least fun. Those effing chukar bastards. Run to the top of the mountain, fly to the bottom, run right past you while you’re heading down the mountain after them.

Idamuley

FNG
My favorites are chukar and California valley quail in the states. Wild Chukar are quite a challenge to hunt but are very rewarding and hold well for a pointing dog once you split up a covey.

Hard to beat quail hunting with a good dog, or turkey hunting from the ground with calls

Lease fun has to be forest grouse!

Fowl Play

WKR
What is the most fun bird to hunt? Looking to get into hunting birds but wife won’t allow me to buy multiple gear. Turkey and duck you sit in a blind all day. Is quail the only bird you go out actively looking for?
Shotguns are extremely versatile. A good 12 gauge will allow you to hunt every species of bird. Then you can find out what you find is you’re favorite. Love bird hunting, but find myself doing quail, turkey, and waterfowl the most. If you don’t like sitting, quail is probably your best bet. Buy a good 3” chamber auto loader 12 gauge to start and you’re set for life if you so choose.

I would put turkey hunting in the category of an active hunt, and less of a sitting in a blind type of hunting. Quail and Grouse are a blast to hunt, especially with a good group of guys and some good dogs. I grew up waterfowl hunting and am partial to it. I'd suggest, as other have, to get a decent 12 ga shotgun and find some buddy's who would let you tag along on some different styles of hunts, or pay for a few guided hunts and find what you enjoy the most.

Fogalo

Lil-Rokslider
This should be prefaced with “when you get in ‘em”…

But where’s the love for early teal?? That’s a great hunt. Honestly any waterfowl where you’re where they want to be, nothing like having them cupped and committed

Axle

FNG
Do you like to walk a lot? How about yelling at your buddy’s dog that just busted a covey of quail 100 yards away after you spent the last 3 hours wading through weeds and brush? If that sounds fun, you should come do some upland bird hunting with me!

Actually hunting pheasants/quail with a good pointer is just incredible! And a bad dog is incredibly frustrating.

Ducks- If you just want to shoot birds-around here jump shooting ponds is the cheapest and easiest way. It’s pretty fun, you don’t have to get up early, and you don’t even need camo.
It’s cool to watch them drop in to decoys. Breaking ice to set decoys in the dark, then freezing your butt off for 3 hours without shooting one single time; well that’s less fun.

Turkeys-I would say the thrill in this for me is having them respond to your call and gobble all the way in. They don’t always do that though-sometimes they show up without making a peep (and sometimes they run the other way when I’m calling…)

I don't know anything about where you are at but here I love grouse hunting without a dog even. Some you don't notice and don't fly till your stepping on them and your heart races... And calling in turkeys is a blast well calling in any animal but for birds I love turkey. I don't sit in a blind though.

puppyhat

FNG
Personally, I hunt in upland game birds like pheasant, quail, grouse, chukar and wild turkey and waterfowl like ducks and geese, are excellent choices. I think all these are fun bird to hunt.

Rich M

WKR
North east, New England region
When we started turkey hunting, we'd go after gobbling birds - blinds didn't get popular for years. Blinds are cheating.

You can jump hunt ducks, blind hunt, pass shoot.
You can field hunt geese - pretty boring until a big flock of geese decides to work the decoys and commit.

You have Pheasant hunting - try that, it is fun. They are neat when they cackle and come up in front of you.

Quail is fun if there are enough birds around to hunt.

Ruffed grouse is another bird you have opportunity at - basically you walk thru overgrown clear cuts, alder swamps, and raspberry patches, pausing frequently and the birds scare the hell out of you when they explode up. You'll see a flash of brown and it'll be gone. Hunting those things gave me great shot reflexes.

My fav is ducks, followed by pheasant/grouse. I don't have or use a dog - there is a pausing cadence you get into that will spook the birds. Pheasants were always stocked birds - grouse wild.

I never dove hunted but the guys down here in the south love it.

Last edited: