Moose weather - what is warm?

Here’s the first AK bull we’ve ever got. Time stamp is September 5th at 4 PM. We called an approx 60” bull right to camp the next morning. It was HOT this particular year. We called for a pick up 3 days early because of meat concerns. Granted, we didn’t have a clue what we were doing.

IMG_9078.jpeg
For 2 bulls, we carry 3 sets of game bags. Change them out often if needed. TAG bags dry quickly even in overcast/rain granted they are hanging under a tarp and there is a small breeze.

Edit to add: this bull was glassed and he was up and moving at about 2PM. Took a couple hours to make a plan and get in position. The largest bull I ever saw outside the park was a few years ago at 1pm and it was bluebird and 65.

Last edited:
OP
ddavis_1313
Sounds like everything you've got is spot on. One more thing via meat preservation... remember that the ground is a big heat sink. I've used Larry's meat cache technique a few times, which was basically putting quarters on top of a series of larger rocks so that the rocks pull heat from them and they also have air flow underneath. Simple tarp over top to keep sun and rain off, and this has worked great. Much preferable to sinking meat in trash bags, even if you had to use logs or something else instead of rocks.

I will keep that in mind. That is another method I’m considering but not sure of the rock situation on the river we will be floating. I watched Larry’s videos and saw how he does this and uses the tarp above the meat to create a tunnel that allows airflow through the cache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ddavis_1313
1-2 days for liver preservation IF refrigerated (39-43F). Can be frozen and preserved for 9 mo to 1 year.

Unless you got a bull the day before you leave the field, I wouldn't chance organ meat for longer than 2 days.

Does organ meat include heart as well?

OP
ddavis_1313
Here’s the first AK bull we’ve ever got. Time stamp is September 5th at 4 PM. We called an approx 60” bull right to camp the next morning. It was HOT this particular year. We called for a pick up 3 days early because of meat concerns. Granted, we didn’t have a clue what we were doing.

View attachment 757288
For 2 bulls, we carry 3 sets of game bags. Change them out often if needed. TAG bags dry quickly even in overcast/rain granted they are hanging under a tarp and there is a small breeze.

Edit to add: this bull was glassed and he was up and moving at about 2PM. Took a couple hours to make a plan and get in position. The largest bull I ever saw outside the park was a few years ago at 1pm and it was bluebird and 65.

Thanks for sharing! That gives me hope!

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
yes, but autolysis rates vary from organ to organ. I've kept heart for 5-6 days in cool and cold weather (<42F throughout). Speaking of heart only here: After I squeeze and milk all the blood out of the muscle and chambers through the large vessels, hang it top down to foster draining for a day. Eat what you want until day 3, then dissect the large vessels and fillet the heart in half to expose the chambers, then trim away any remaining connective tissue. This sheds source spoilage concerns, improves ventilation and helps dry the edible meat. Treat the heart like your tenderloins from then on until you're sensing it's time to let it go.

OP
ddavis_1313
yes, but autolysis rates vary from organ to organ. I've kept heart for 5-6 days in cool and cold weather (QUOTE]

Thanks! Fried heart is hard to beat! I’m hoping we have one down by the 13th. Sure would make for a great 39th birthday dinner!

Sometimes it being warm, which causes the moose to bed most of the time, works out to your favor. Plenty of hunts we found one bedded in the glass, and he stayed right there until we arrived. I will say gutting a moose when its warm enough for the bugs to be out really sucks though. Bring a head net. Once they are fired up, all the normal rules and assumptions go out the window.

I am close to heading out as well and the temps are definitely warmer this year then the previous two trips. In 2020 Sept 5th we had a hard frost that morning. We certainly will be giving it hell though no matter the temps!

OP
ddavis_1313
Sometimes it being warm, which causes the moose to bed most of the time, works out to your favor. Plenty of hunts we found one bedded in the glass, and he stayed right there until we arrived. I will say gutting a moose when its warm enough for the bugs to be out really sucks though. Bring a head net. Once they are fired up, all the normal rules and assumptions go out the window.

I’m bringing 4 head nets. Two for backup! Lol

OP
ddavis_1313
444145fb4d99e6cb352a2201b7e3adfc.jpg

2a89f3e6a5438f962954fa5bc2dd1c12.jpg

Checked zero today. Glad I did. Was a touch off. Once I got left and right dialed in (took one shot) I fired what is shot 1. Double checked on the adjacent target and fired shot 2. Yup, money. Dialed 2 mils up and fired shot 3. I can’t dial it any closer.if I go down I’ll be on the opposite side of the line where the black dot is.

I’ll take 1/4 MOA in a 30 cal magnum 9.5# hunting rifle.

Wife shot hers. She’s within 1/4” of bullseye. I’ll probably go shoot it again Saturday and make any adjustments needed. We were rushed by the range master bc they were closing and she felt like she may have pulled the shot.

444145fb4d99e6cb352a2201b7e3adfc.jpg

2a89f3e6a5438f962954fa5bc2dd1c12.jpg

Checked zero today. Glad I did. Was a touch off. Once I got left and right dialed in (took one shot) I fired what is shot 1. Double checked on the adjacent target and fired shot 2. Yup, money. Dialed 2 mils up and fired shot 3. I can’t dial it any closer.if I go down I’ll be on the opposite side of the line where the black dot is.

I’ll take 1/4 MOA in a 30 cal magnum 9.5# hunting rifle.

Wife shot hers. She’s within 1/4” of bullseye. I’ll probably go shoot it again Saturday and make any adjustments needed. We were rushed by the range master bc they were closing and she felt like she may have pulled the shot.

Good luck buddy!

Cowbell

WKR
Thank you kindly!!!! Sunday at 6 am is our departing flight out of Bush Intercontinental in Houston! Should be in anchorage around 1 pm.

Where's home? We live two hours north of Houston and headed to anchorage on Thursday.

AKDoc

WKR
Regarding the concern with temperatures during your Alaska hunts....

As hunters, we all know...all too well...that Mother Nature holds the wx cards. She deals us what we get regardless of our hunting zip codes, and she can be especially brutal up here.

Go with the flow...as best as you can be smart, not impulsive...shoot wisely when the bull is on dry ground and not near water and when he's within a reasonable distance from the take-out point..and above all else be mindful and absolutely responsible with your meat care.

The leaves are turning up here and nite-time temps are going down. The very best to you all for safe and wonderful hunting adventures!

Last edited:
OP
ddavis_1313

As hunters, we all know...all too well...that Mother Nature holds the wx cards. She deals us what we get regardless of our hunting zip codes, and she can be especially brutal up here.

Go with the flow...as best as you can be smart, not impulsive...shoot wisely when the bull is on dry ground and not near water and when he's within a reasonable distance from the take-out point..and above all else be mindful and absolutely responsible with your meat care.

The leaves are turning up here and nite-time temps are going down. The very best to you all for safe and wonderful hunting adventures!

30 hours until wheels for us! Can’t wait to be in the far north again!!!

OP
ddavis_1313

Out of curiosity, what are the typical mid sept hi/low temps in Alaska?

AKDoc

WKR
Alaska is a HUGE state, and our temps greatly vary based upon the many geographical regions that comprise Alaska.

It's best to narrow down your question to a specific area/region, and then research the wx histories for that location. NOAA wx is a good resource for historical data and current forecasts. It's my go to.

OP
ddavis_1313
Alaska is a HUGE state, and our temps greatly vary based upon the many geographical regions that comprise Alaska.

It's best to narrow down your question to a specific area/region, and then research the wx histories for that location. NOAA wx is a good resource for historical data and current forecasts. It's my go to.

Thanks!

VernAK

WKR
Concerning the organ meat discussion:

I've never saved moose live even though I like beef calf liver.

One of my hunting partners is a DVM and MD and while breaking down a very large old bull, he was giving us some anatomy lessons that were all very interesting. I was removing the kidneys for a native friend and the discussion then turn to liver flukes and we decided to open the liver. After a knife slash, the liver internals began to ooze and flow slowly......WTH? Doc figures that the uric acid from the bulls drinking cow urine probably has an adverse effect on the liver and may be a reason the bulls life span is half of the cows life span.

It's a plausible theory to consider as you fry some liver in camp.