Moose Caliber: Maine

My sister and BIL have lived in Maine for years. They have taken 7 moose and say an illuminated scope is more important than the rifle or caliber. They have said that their longest shot was 70yrds and all in dense cover. They carry a Browning micro midas with 20" barrel in 243 Win with Barnes tsx bullets.
Do you know what scopes they are using and recommend?

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting Maine moose zone 2 this year in September as a sub. I have a few different firearms choices without scratching the buy a new itch.

So what did you take for the hunt, and how did it go? We’d love to hear all about it!

Usi05

WKR
TAH" data-source="post: 3281076" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
So what did you take for the hunt, and how did it go? We’d love to hear all about it!

While waiting on OP, I leave this weekend for my hunt next week and taking my 7mm-08 as primary and .308 as secondary. Both sited at 200.

If I was flying I would just bring one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usi05

WKR
TAH" data-source="post: 3282452" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Hope you have success, and post details here.

You think shooting sticks are a necessary?? Going back and forth!

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
You think shooting sticks are a necessary?? Going back and forth!

I would bring them. Not sure which zone you’re in, but Northern Maine has big cuts, and ag fields that offer long shots. A lot are shot at close range, yet a friend has taken 2 between 250 & 300, others even longer.

Usi05

WKR
TAH" data-source="post: 3305380" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
So did you take the sticks? Did you use them?

Took a cheap shooting stick but shot bull at like 40 yards so no need to use. First shot was perfect. Second shot was also very good. He laid down and went to stand back up and put one more in for good measure.

Only one of the 7mm-08 rounds was full pass through.

Was a fun experience. You were dead on with description of potential shooting conditions. Some giant cuts (they called em chops) out there.

Hunting Maine moose zone 2 this year in September as a sub. I have a few different firearms choices without scratching the buy a new itch.

Below are my thoughts on what i have and what they are currently sighted in with

.270 (130gr Swift Scirroco 2)
.30-06 (150gr nosler ballistic tip)
7mm Remington Magnum (160gr barnes tsx)
444 Marlin (265gr corelockt or 270gr cast lead)
45-70 (405 corelockt)

My thoughts point me to using the 7mm mag initially. Granated i can change ammo, work up different loads, buy a new gun etc.
I would definitely choose the 30 06 with barnes 175 LX. The LX still has 2100 lbs of energy at 400 yards where a cor lokt is down to 1400 pounds of energy at 180 grains 400yds. You will get penetration with retention and expansion. A lot go down easy but many don't and end up way out in a mess. 30 06 in 175 LX barnes all the way. A 35 cal bullet would be better and 45 better but you don't have the range. I know everyone knows so many stories but why not use the best bullet in a shootable caliber for many conditions. Not to mention that heavy mono metal bullets absolutely deflect less in cover.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The 30-06 is easily your best option for a Maine Moose Eastern Canadian species or any species moose for that matter. Use the ballistic tips for deer though and get some Accubonds 180-200 gr range, or Nosler partition. Any bonded or good bullet will work, aim behind shoulder and dont expect to bang flop their lungs are big and take awhile to expire. If you think it will run keep shooting till down otherwise after the shot just watch it and it will fall over if you did your job.
I came to post this but you beat me to it, 30-06 with a 180g partition or accubond is a hell of a moose stopper.

I would definitely choose the 30 06 with barnes 175 LX. The LX still has 2100 lbs of energy at 400 yards where a cor lokt is down to 1400 pounds of energy at 180 grains 400yds. You will get penetration with retention and expansion. A lot go down easy but many don't and end up way out in a mess. 30 06 in 175 LX barnes all the way. A 35 cal bullet would be better and 45 better but you don't have the range. I know everyone knows so many stories but why not use the best bullet in a shootable caliber for many conditions. Not to mention that heavy mono metal bullets absolutely deflect less in cover.

I Do handload all of my cartridges and they are far from mild, I listed the projectile that I currently use for reference, I figure a good bonded or mono bullet would be preferred. I typically black bear hunt with my marlin 444p. It seems to garner the most attention compared to my 45-70. My 7mm mag was the one I was leaning towards for the trip. Synthetic stock, cerakoted, and a nice barnes 160 tsx load worked up. It seems like a clear fit choice given the potential for bad weather etc.

As to others mentioning sentimental guns, I would love to take my dads sporterized 03A3 but it has very old glass and i cannot bring myself to change it and its hard to force myself to use the old optics given that I have better optics to use. I love when I use my fathers guns but for some reason I find myself only using them in good weather. Hard to bring a pretty blued rifle with wlanut out in a downpoor when a plastic fantastic is available. My 7mm mag is a remington 700 and has a tract toric 2-12 on it. 2-12x seems like it would be a good magnification range for the environment.

I feel like I am essentially at battle inside my own brain. its pretty simple to me. All the listed cartridges will perform properly with the proper bullet and placement. It just doesnt seem that easy in my head. Id love to have some nice new pointy PRC cartridge, especially something with a moderate barrel length that is threaded, as i do not have a threaded bolt rifle for my suppressor.

As for some other comments on the sub permitee etc., it is what it is. My friend is a ME resident I am not. We both applied and he drew. Id be just as excited just to go, much less participate. This is his second bull tag and he harvested on his last draw, so he has passed the opportunity to me. I feel luck and grateful. I nonresident draw odds for moose in ME is less than 2% while Residents are closer to 8% So it can make a diference, but main is just wierd overall in how their system works. Clearly about money, residents have higher draw odd and can build bonus points, however they can only enter the lottery time. As a nonresident you can enter multiple times if you are willing to pay (you can purchase blocks of 10 entries for gods sake)
7 mm mag with barnes tsx 2-10 is excellent for Maine.