Montana to allow landowners to hunt without permits?

Couldn't read the article without subscribing or signing up for the newsletter.

Got the cliff notes?

OP
Bowhuntone

Bowhuntone

Lil-Rokslider
Way I read it is if passed a landowner could hunt on owned property with out a permit. Was started with intent of allowing hunting in the reservation lands but as written would not be exclusive to tribal lands. It would benefit someone who owned land in a hard to draw limited entry unit with sheep the most. But it would take control from fish and game on population #’s in limited draw units

finner

Lil-Rokslider
The way I read it is one specific legislator wants to hunt his land and can't because he bought land on a reservation. So he's trying to change laws for the entire state with zero regard for the ripple effect.
Sounds like that legislator needs to do more research next time he buys property.
This is exactly the case. He's purposefully poached deer on the reservation to try and force the issue, and has had his local representative bring forward bills in the last two legislative sessions to legalize hunting on fee land within reservations. Thankfully, both have been shot down before they gained any real traction.

This proposal is even more broadly worded and dangerous for MT game management. Additionally, it would likely have the effect of prompting the tribes to shut down their cooperative agreements with FWP. For CSKT, where this dingus lives, that would shut down all upland and waterfowl hunting access for nontribal members. The CSKT have already put forward this argument to the Attorney General, see the legal notes section.

Just more pork barrel politics in MT. Let's screw over public land hunters and disregard decades of cooperative, collaborative work and relationship building because it suits the interests of a few very loud citizens with too much time on their hands.

BigBird69

FNG
I don't see a problem with it as long as it's just the owner or immediate family who is hunting. Why shouldn't I be allowed to hunt my own land?

BigBird69

FNG
Under your frame of mind, the land owner owns and manages the wildlife as well... not a great situation me thinks.

Selfish, short-sighted, and detrimental to hunting in general.
What's selfish about it? The animals are living off my land. I can manage my land better than the government and I can guarantee I care more about it than some weekend warriors hunting public land for a couple of weeks a year.

Fordguy

WKR
What's selfish about it? The animals are living off my land. I can manage my land better than the government and I can guarantee I care more about it than some weekend warriors hunting public land for a couple of weeks a year.
Are they on your land? Yes, on your land all the time? Maybe. Are they your animals? No. Not until you slap a tag on one.

I'd step back and think if you would really like our wildlife and hunting managed by private landowners... if you come to the same conclusion, then I suppose we disagree on how we think that would work out for hunting and the average hunter.

The north American system of management is the reason we have as much opportunity as we do. This effort essentially tries to circumvent that system for reasons based in greed in my opinion.

Slippery slope. Should a rich guy be able to buy up a bunch of land next to Yellowstone, draw in the animals and then shoot them all because it’s his land? Can I take out a whole herd of bighorns that walk through my property?

If it’s my land I should be able to bait. If it’s my land I should be able to use machine guns and dynamite.

Unfortunately it all comes back to the almighty dollar, IMO. People with money think money should give them privileges and opportunities that people without money don’t have.

Under your frame of mind, the land owner owns and manages the wildlife as well... not a great situation me thinks.

Selfish, short-sighted, and detrimental to hunting in general.
Whats wrong with that? If he decides he wants animals he fosters habitat and a sustainability model, if he doesn't then he doesnt and he has no animals

S.Clancy

WKR
The way I read it is one specific legislator wants to hunt his land and can't because he bought land on a reservation. So he's trying to change laws for the entire state with zero regard for the ripple effect.
Sounds like that legislator needs to do more research next time he buys property.
That is pretty much how we do it here. Same with that degenerate "crossbow in archery season" guy

Alder_

Lil-Rokslider
Animals have legs and move.
Sometimes they’re on his property sometimes they are not.
What if the doe on the neighboring property comes into heat and “his” buck wanders onto the neighbors property and gets shot?
He’s worked so hard for HIS deer.

This is literally the privatization of wildlife and utter horseshit.