Montana Rifle Company Junction 308Win Field Evaluation

There aren't many people in this day and age of carbon fiber and chassis "customs" who appreciate a CRF action.
The number has probably gone down since African safaris are talked about a lot less these days, replaced with more discourse around western hunting. Having said that, some of the "custom" actions are actually CRF. American Rifle Company actions are, so are Bighorns, and some models of Defiance actions are CRF too.

Great review and a great looking rifle. I give props to the mrc for being transparent and honest. That definitely goes a long way in my book. Now we just need one in 1-8” twist 243 or 6mm creed.

I got a feeling you and I are kindred spirits. 💯

I’m not real old yet either, but I appreciate craftsmanship and the heritage of our beloved sport.
Ah, finally I know I’m not alone in the “young enough to not have fought in Vietnam but still prefers CRF” arena haha. Glad to see MRC working to make these right and have stumbled on a few like minded folks in the process.

@Imac45acp wild proposition for ya… Unknown has a presale going for Model 70 inletted Rokstok’s, they need to sell 15 to pay for the mold to then send to Stockys so they can make it happen… theres another on here that says he’ll order, and I intend to order, so that leaves 13 more for MRC to order to start to round out your rifle model line up with a short action stainless, short barreled, threaded, 1:8tw 6 creed to cover that light(ish) but accurate ‘mountain rifle’ niche :cool: …side benefit, the ball gets rolling sooner for guys like me that want a RokStok for their Model 70/future MRC(?) but feel like they need to become a grass roots organizer to get the other Model 70 fans out there to hurry up and come to the dark side of carbon/modern stock geometry. win/win? (shameless I know).
Love what you’re doing, excited for the future of MRC

@walk2112- trust me, I'm pushing for it lol. After talking with Jake in Utah and him showing me the stock, it'll happen at some point-

Too much going on here right now keeping QC up and rolling out the long actions to divert the resources right now.

@walk2112- trust me, I'm pushing for it lol. After talking with Jake in Utah and him showing me the stock, it'll happen at some point-

Too much going on here right now keeping QC up and rolling out the long actions to divert the resources right now.

I watched a couple of your videos and love what you guys are focusing on with this action. With the tolerances of the barrel interface, are you expecting that prefits or swapping between factory barrels will be possible? It seems one of the biggest boons of a Tikka is the ability to switch barrels easily and find factory takeoffs for sale relatively cheaply at times

I watched a couple of your videos and love what you guys are focusing on with this action. With the tolerances of the barrel interface, are you expecting that prefits or swapping between factory barrels will be possible? It seems one of the biggest boons of a Tikka is the ability to switch barrels easily and find factory takeoffs for sale relatively cheaply at times
Not only are the tolerances super tight, but the receiver threads are threadmilled so they're timed. I can swap barrels between 6.5 Creedmoor and .308 rifles, and not only will it headspace correctly, but the barrel engraving will also clock to the same position within a degree or so once torqued.

Technically, all our barrels are pre-fit at +.000/+.003 from SAAMI low limit once torqued to spec.

p.s. sorry about those videos, I hate being on camera like a used car salesman...

In the end, I wouldn't really care. All my rifles are used as a tool and I don't care too much about their appearance.

MRC has made very definite "appearance" choices that have nothing to do with performance, so apparently aesthetics mean something to them and their marketing. The problem is their aesthetic choices are ghetto/sophomoric at best. Too bad as it looks like they really have something legit to offer, but I'll never know.

I use my rifles as tools as well, and don't mind them getting well worn. But a rifle that starts out with crisp, clean aesthetics will still be more pleasing when well worn, than a brand new rifle that starts out looking like a rez runner...

Last edited:
MRC has made very definite "appearance" choices that have nothing to do with performance, so apparently aesthetics mean something to them and their marketing. The problem is their aesthetic choices are ghetto/sophomoric at best. Too bad as it looks like they really have something legit to offer, but I'll never know.

I use my rifles as tools as well, and don't mind them getting well worn. But a rifle that starts out with crisp, clean aesthetics will still be more pleasing when well worn, than a brand new rifle that starts out looking like a rez runner...
Aesthetics means something to me too. And I disagree with you.

That is your opinion which you are certainly entitled to, but it seems a little short sighted/sophomoric to never experience what they have to offer I.e. write them off, because you believe their aesthetics to be “ghetto/sophomoric”, in your opinion of course.

That is your opinion which you are certainly entitled to, but it seems a little short sighted/sophomoric to never experience what they have to offer I.e. write them off, because you believe their aesthetics to be “ghetto/sophomoric”, in your opinion of course.
"Life is too short to hunt with an ugly rifle." I'm only interested in synthetic/steel these days. Their offering, if not ghetto with gold bling, is pretty darn close to it...

Untitled.JPG

Last edited:
Back