Montana Rifle Company Junction 308Win Field Evaluation

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Shot the test rifle yesterday. Have a feeling it will be a new Rokslide fave.

Bolt runs at least as smooth as the Tikkas I’ve been shooting, doesn’t bind. I didn’t care for current bolt handle design, for my taste not enough clearance between thumb and scope, something about not holding the shaft and focusing on the knob might help…

Stock is pretty, but not as function as the Rokstok or my rigged Tikka. Anyone need a M70 Rokstok?

Needs detachable mags for my purposes. I’m told that might be a thing.

Better in function than any of the R700s I’ve messed with. People are going to like this one.

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
Shot the test rifle yesterday. Have a feeling it will be a new Rokslide fave.

Bolt runs at least as smooth as the Tikkas I’ve been shooting, doesn’t bind. I didn’t care for current bolt handle design, for my taste not enough clearance between thumb and scope, something about not holding the shaft and focusing on the knob might help…

Stock is pretty, but not as function as the Rokstok or my rigged Tikka. Anyone need a M70 Rokstok?

Needs detachable mags for my purposes. I’m told that might be a thing.

Better in function than any of the R700s I’ve messed with. People are going to like this one.
Thanks for the feedback/info. I'm extremely interested in these MRC 2022's and it's nice to see they seem to be 'doing it right'. Top of my list for future rifle acquisition currently.

Also leaning harder and harder everyday towards pre-ordering a Model 70 RokStok, only have two temporary hold ups right now:
1) would like a little trigger time behind one of my Tikka RokStoks just to verify/confirm my configuration plans still make sense (shouldn't be long now)
2) I think I'm going to have to try and rally 14 other people to pre-order for Short Action M70 so we can do it all at once, kick off the mold purchase, thereby shortening (or at least making more certain) the timeline to having one 'in hand'. Anybody interested?

Imac45acp

FNG
Keep in mind, the 2022 receiver isn't an exact clone of the M70- Due to the modular recoil lug the shelf at the forward action screw is .070" deeper/lower than a standard M70 inlet. Everything else is the same. Short/Long action bottom metal "should" be common, but I can't guarantee without seeing an actual Winchester print.

All the guns are stainless under the Cerakote, and we just installed another blast cabinet to do a satin naked finish. I think we're up to 15 blast units in the facility now. I'm a big fan of process dedicated blast cabinets to mitigate media cross contamination.

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
Keep in mind, the 2022 receiver isn't an exact clone of the M70- Due to the modular recoil lug the shelf at the forward action screw is .070" deeper/lower than a standard M70 inlet. Everything else is the same. Short/Long action bottom metal "should" be common, but I can't guarantee without seeing an actual Winchester print.

All the guns are stainless under the Cerakote, and we just installed another blast cabinet to do a satin naked finish. I think we're up to 15 blast units in the facility now. I'm a big fan of process dedicated blast cabinets to mitigate media cross contamination.
That's great to hear - would the non-cerakoted, bead blasted action be available without gold bolt bands and gold trigger shoe?

Grumman

WKR
That's great to hear - would the non-cerakoted, bead blasted action be available without gold bolt bands and gold trigger shoe?

I agree. I would love to see a Kimber Ascent style bolt handle/knob or an engraved bolt knob option like many customs have. The gold is lost on me and I didn’t care for it in person. I really did like the other features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grumman

WKR
My LGS got the first of their Montanas in. They had this exact model on display today. Fit and finish was well done and the wood was very nicely figured. The bolt had ample clearance in the stock cut, looks like that was changed since the reviewed rifle. If it had a shorter barrel and a bolt handle that wasn’t so fugly I would have bought it today. All the guys in the store really liked the rifle. Nice to see them in the wild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Ian from MRC sent an AI bottom metal and new trigger spring. The new spring is a noticeable improvement in feel- no creep at all now. The bottom Metal will be great, but the inlet is different and the stock will need to be inletted and bedded.

IMG_9064.jpeg

Rails and magazines hanging off from them like dogs balls
How to ruin a nice classic rifle
🤣
At least put it in plastic or something

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Rails and magazines hanging off from them like dogs balls
How to ruin a nice classic rifle
🤣
At least put it in plastic or something

Magazines aren’t classic?

Doesn’t take much looking to see that history rejects that notion-

IMG_9065.jpeg

IMG_9066.jpeg

IMG_9067.jpeg

IMG_9068.jpeg

IMG_9069.jpeg

There were even horizontal magazine contraptions-
IMG_9070.jpeg

DBM’s are better in every functional way. This rifle is to be used for 10,000 rounds- that ain’t happening top loading 5 at a time.

Is that a new DBM offering, and is it Win Model 70 compatible ?!?
I have a few FN SPR & Win 70 with older CDI Gunworks version using AICS magazines, but no longer available... thanks!!

- Edit to apologize in advance if it's inappropriate to ask about 'Win 70 compatibility' in a MRC discussion, I'm just excited to see possible solution!

Last edited:

Imac45acp

FNG
Stealthgoat- that is a CDI M70 unit. We got quite a few with the purchase of the old company. They were shipped unassembled, and for the life of me I can't locate the release paddles and springs. They may be hiding in a pallet of the old MRC tactical stocks, but I haven't had the chance or need to do a deep dive search.

As you know, CDI closed after Jeff's passing, so this won't be an MRC option. A dbm is in the works for the future, but it's a ways off (which will fit an M70 too). I just machined up a quick replacement paddle and sent this one out so Form can run rounds through the gun without getting carpal tunnel 😆. Would personally love to see this rifle wearing a RokStock at some time- hint hint.

Btw- I personally take no offense talking about M70 compatibility. If anyone has any specific questions, you can always pm me. That goes for questions/ issues on the old MRC guns as well. We can't warranty or service them, but always help out when we can.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Is that a new DBM offering, and is it Win Model 70 compatible ?!?
I have a few FN SPR & Win 70 with older CDI Gunworks version using AICS magazines, but no longer available... thanks!!

- Edit to apologize in advance if it's inappropriate to ask about 'Win 70 compatibility' in a MRC discussion, I'm just excited to see possible solution!

Ian responded above.

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
Stealthgoat- that is a CDI M70 unit. We got quite a few with the purchase of the old company. They were shipped unassembled, and for the life of me I can't locate the release paddles and springs. They may be hiding in a pallet of the old MRC tactical stocks, but I haven't had the chance or need to do a deep dive search.

As you know, CDI closed after Jeff's passing, so this won't be an MRC option. A dbm is in the works for the future, but it's a ways off (which will fit an M70 too). I just machined up a quick replacement paddle and sent this one out so Form can run rounds through the gun without getting carpal tunnel 😆. Would personally love to see this rifle wearing a RokStock at some time- hint hint.

Btw- I personally take no offense talking about M70 compatibility. If anyone has any specific questions, you can always pm me. That goes for questions/ issues on the old MRC guns as well. We can't warranty or service them, but always help out when we can.
Just in case you haven’t seen, we’re gathering up/starting to coordinate M70 Rokstok preorders here: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/model-70-rokstok-commitment-poll.359078/page-2#post-3659069
Just a couple little tweaks to inlet depth behind recoil lug make M70 inlet fit MRC as I recall? Maybe we can make your MRC+RokStok dreams come through sooner yet!

Side note: @Imac45acp, you rock. Excited to see all that’s in store for MRC’s future… and someday my future with a RokStok’d MRC