Montana pref points heads up, don't be like me.

It’s weird now. If you don’t buy point and just enter normal poll you might get drawn every year. You have a slightly better chance in the normal pool. But if your in the point pool now you might have to wait every other year now. I was drawn this year and used my points. So I will buy points starting next March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
You will be applying with 2 preference points. (you CANNOT carry those 2 PP into 2025 if you did not apply to hunt).
This is so perplexing, I absolutely would've done what you did if I was preparing for a MT hunt. At least you still have a chance of drawing next year with 0 preference points.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our website sucks, it's sucked for 20+ years. I worked for the outfit for 24 years and I still have great difficulty finding what I'm looking for. The search engine is almost worthless.

I feel for nonresidents trying to get the information they need if residents can't even navigate the site (n)

I had bought two points. One year money was tight and I didn't make my donation. The next year, I just forgot. So I lost the points and decided to donate elsewhere.

I had bought two points. One year money was tight and I didn't make my donation. The next year, I just forgot. So I lost the points and decided to donate elsewhere.

Allot of states are like this and it sucks. I lost points in Iowa and Colorado cause medical issues and could apply.

Wyoming is about to blow Montana out of the water on tag fees

I’m assuming guides site on the board who make the decision? Agree the prices for the deer tag has sky rocketed so high. This year I noticed not as many people hunting where I go. I remember doe tag was $75 and now $150. Buck tag around $700. It’s allot. A moose tag in alaska isn’t that much.

WildBoose

FNG
A lot of Western states are making it hard for us "Oosers" (as we are known the the waterfowl world) to come and hunt in their states. I guess I understand it, maybe??? But we are already paying much more to play than residents, as we should I suppose....but by continuedly make it harder? I cant help but think some of those states are going to shoot themselves in the foot when it comes to out of state money coming in via hunters.

A lot of Western states are making it hard for us "Oosers" (as we are known the the waterfowl world) to come and hunt in their states. I guess I understand it, maybe??? But we are already paying much more to play than residents, as we should I suppose....but by continuedly make it harder? I cant help but think some of those states are going to shoot themselves in the foot when it comes to out of state money coming in via hunters.

Game board here is controlled by the guides. The state thinks they will profits from the guides money, but most of the guides are non resident and live to the lower 48 to continue guiding after our season is done here in Alaska. So they take their money they made with them.

What makes it hard is now for the middle class who loves and what’s to enjoy the outdoors. Guides and outfitters have caused so much pressure that states have reduced and raised the prices to where it’s almost hard for the middle class hunter to travel to another state and hunt.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
The only way to get 3 deer or elk points in MT is to hunt with an outfitter. Those folks get to buy an extra.

I planned to stockpile deer points until I burned my max sheep points on a ewe tag. Not going to work. I stopped applying for everything in MT but sheep. They don’t want my kind there.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’m assuming guides site on the board who make the decision? Agree the prices for the deer tag has sky rocketed so high. This year I noticed not as many people hunting where I go. I remember doe tag was $75 and now $150. Buck tag around $700. It’s allot. A moose tag in alaska isn’t that much.

Those buck tags are getting ready to go to $1200 in the special draw in WY, almost $2k for elk. As long as people keep paying it, they'll keep charging it.

Those buck tags are getting ready to go to $1200 in the special draw in WY, almost $2k for elk. As long as people keep paying it, they'll keep charging it.

It sucks that hunting has become a business and that elite and rich have driven the price up. Outfitters and guides one of the reason why middle class are being unable now of days to hunt other states.

Erict

WKR
The only way to get 3 deer or elk points in MT is to hunt with an outfitter. Those folks get to buy an extra.

It is true that those hunting with an outfitter can purchase an additional $100 PREFERENCE POINT at the time of license application. It is not true that the only way to get to 3 is by hunting with an outfitter.

The worst part of this whole fiasco they created is not being able to plan out a year or two in advance by banking PREFERENCE POINTS.

It is true that those hunting with an outfitter can purchase an additional $100 PREFERENCE POINT at the time of license application. It is not true that the only way to get to 3 is by hunting with an outfitter.

The worst part of this whole fiasco they created is not being able to plan out a year or two in advance by banking PREFERENCE POINTS.
It made it easy for me. Now I don't apply at all

Clarson757

Lil-Rokslider
I’m planning to apply for 2023 deer/elk combo. Mostly want to deer hunt but the cost difference to put in for the deer/elk isn’t all that much more if I’m making a trip out of it. Has anyone got any recommendations on what draw units are worth applying for as a non-res if I end up pulling the general tags?

Was just in/ around Bozeman for a week. Lots of windshield time in the units south of Bozeman and Livingston. Couldn’t keep the wheel straight because there was game everywhere I looked. Told my wife I have to hunt here and so it begins. Saw some good stuff in the Gallatin but I haven’t spent a ton of time looking into each unit harvest rates.

MFWP system is a true mind f*ck to understand. Here’s to trying 🍻

Last edited:
15 years here and I still don’t understand the regulations. Every year I say it’s like Montana is having their first hunting season. The tagging system is an absolute joke. Printer paper tags and an app that sometimes works. 😤

I’m planning to apply for 2023 deer/elk combo. Mostly want to deer hunt but the cost difference to put in for the deer/elk isn’t all that much more if I’m making a trip out of it. Has anyone got any recommendations on what draw units are worth applying for as a non-res if I end up pulling the general tags?

Was just in/ around Bozeman for a week. Lots of windshield time in the units south of Bozeman and Livingston. Couldn’t keep the wheel straight because there was game everywhere I looked. Told my wife I have to hunt here and so it begins. Saw some good stuff in the Gallatin but I haven’t spent a ton of time looking into each unit harvest rates.

MFWP system is a true mind f*ck to understand. Here’s to trying 🍻
By game do you mean MILFs in yoga pants?

One more caveat that I think someone brought up else where, if you go into it with zero to try and take advantage of the 25% pool, if not drawn you can’t buy a preference point that year. So the following year you either go into it with zero, or buy a point and be in no man’s land with 1 point, and hopefully draw with 2 the next year………. Is that correct?