Montana pref points heads up, don't be like me.

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanted to give a heads up about Montana's preference point system. As a lot of you know you can only carry up to 3 preference points and must not skip years or you lose them. Well, I purchased a PP in 2020, 2021, and was planning on purchasing one in 2022 in order to go into 2023 with 3 points. Well, when I went to purchase #3, i found that I had zero PPs. Apparently the only way to obtain a 3rd preference point is to apply with 2 and miss the draw...then the following year you purchase the third point and apply same year. (Per the very helpful and friendly lasy at Montana FWP) Anyone else run in to this? I'm going to reread the info on the website and see how its worded. Not sure If I fell victim to policy changes or just lack reading comprehension skills.

So the way to apply for a general hunt in MT: Purchase preference point in 2023 (elk or deer or both), purchase preference point in 2024 and apply for the general tag at that time in 2024. You will be applying with 2 preference points. (you CANNOT carry those 2 PP into 2025 if you did not apply to hunt). If you strike out in 2024, you can purchase a PP and apply to hunt with 3 points in 2025.

Sidebar: Learning how to navigate each state's website, rules, regs, hunt planners, ect can be frustrating as you know. Each year it gets easier and easier the more familiar you get. I find Montana's hunt planner map to be cumbersome and mostly worthless (maybe its me?). They have a strange system. BUT, I get very good help on the phone. My call was answered immediately and I spoke with a friendly and knowledgeable representative. If you are having trouble, give them a call.

Last edited:

OH_Tony

FNG
Yup, they changed the language in the regs last year I believe. Which sucks because everyone that had that plan lost at least $50 worth of points. They should have been "grandfathered" in until that point was used IMO. On top of that they doubled the cost of the points. Planning to be out there again in 2023, which will more than likely be my last MT hunt unless they change their system. When you compare their point prices and tag prices with other states, it just doesn't seem worth it anymore.

OP
Neckbone

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
Yup, they changed the language in the regs last year I believe. Which sucks because everyone that had that plan lost at least $50 worth of points. They should have been "grandfathered" in until that point was used IMO. On top of that they doubled the cost of the points. Planning to be out there again in 2023, which will more than likely be my last MT hunt unless they change their system. When you compare their point prices and tag prices with other states, it just doesn't seem worth it anymore.
Yeah, between the cost and the frustration of making heads or tails of the regs/system....there are plenty of other states out there. Ive never been to MT, so I def want to make at least one trip for a hunt. Probably just do a general deer tag to cross it off the bucket list.

I currently have 2 pref and 2 bonus points. Was unsuccessful in a group tag draw this year 2022, so I think I can pick up 2023 points and apply again in 2024 (with 4 points), but someone tell me if I’m interpreting the rules incorrectly.

OP
Neckbone

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have 2 pref and 2 bonus points. Was unsuccessful in a group tag draw this year 2022, so I think I can pick up 2023 points and apply again in 2024 (with 4 points), but someone tell me if I’m interpreting the rules incorrectly.
You cannot have any more than 3 preference points. I edited my original post, check out what I added...

When did u purchase your points and apply? what years?

OP
Neckbone

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
Being a resident, I don't know much about preference points but I certainly agree that the mt fwp website is a frustrating mess. Anytime I have to apply for anything I can count on at least 45 min of my life going away.
Difficult even for a resident.. sheesh.

You cannot have any more than 3 preference points. I edited my original post, check out what I added...

When did u purchase your points and apply? what years?
Interesting. Bought a point in 2021, applied unsuccessfully in 2022. Was under the impression the new regulations stated you have to apply at least every other year for a tag in order to not lose your points.

If you don't apply in 2023 you will lose your preference points. The new rule can be read as every other year, but is being enforced as every year to not lose preference points. I learned the hard way.

The way I understand it bonus points don't expire and there is no maximum.

OP
Neckbone

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
From what I understand if you skip at all you lose all preference points. (Which go towards drawing general tags). You do not lose bonus points (which go towards limited entry hunts).

To make use of your PPs, you will need to apply for a 3rd PP and whatever general tag you have points for in 2023 or you lose it all.

Do you have deer or elk PP?

KHNC

WKR
Just wanted to give a heads up about Montana's preference point system. As a lot of you know you can only carry up to 3 preference points and must not skip years or you lose them. Well, I purchased a PP in 2020, 2021, and was planning on purchasing one in 2022 in order to go into 2023 with 3 points. Well, when I went to purchase #3, i found that I had zero PPs. Apparently the only way to obtain a 3rd preference point is to apply with 2 and miss the draw...then the following year you purchase the third point and apply same year. (Per the very helpful and friendly lasy at Montana FWP) Anyone else run in to this? I'm going to reread the info on the website and see how its worded. Not sure If I fell victim to policy changes or just lack reading comprehension skills.

So the way to apply for a general hunt in MT: Purchase preference point in 2023 (elk or deer or both), purchase preference point in 2024 and apply for the general tag at that time in 2024. You will be applying with 2 preference points. (you CANNOT carry those 2 PP into 2025 if you did not apply to hunt). If you strike out in 2024, you can purchase a PP and apply to hunt with 3 points in 2025.

Sidebar: Learning how to navigate each state's website, rules, regs, hunt planners, ect can be frustrating as you know. Each year it gets easier and easier the more familiar you get. I find Montana's hunt planner map to be cumbersome and mostly worthless (maybe its me?). They have a strange system. BUT, I get very good help on the phone. My call was answered immediately and I spoke with a friendly and knowledgeable representative. If you are having trouble, give them a call.
Its a truly crap system. I just dumped my points and didnt apply when i discovered this. Bonus points are what you want to get , not PP's. Bonus points carry over year to year. Having to draw a Gen tag, then apply for LE and then ask for a refund on GEN if no LE is just too much trouble. I just wont hunt montana. Its not the state it used to be due to predators and poor management anyway.

OP
Neckbone

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
So you CAN just buy a point (preference) the first year, and apply the 2nd and 3rd?
You can buy a PP for the first year. Second year you can buy a point but u must apply that year as well, or you lose it all. You cannot buy a PP first year, buy a PP second year, and buy a PP 3rd year and apply

Montana don't want no DIY hunters like you no more so they changed the system to benefit them outfitters.
The most overpriced deer tag in the west is a Montana NR tag for the public land hunter. Happy I quit playing their losing game. Outfitters everywhere are rejoicing that this apex predator and his band of assassins are off the MT landscape and they're hoping you give up too so they can feed their families since guiding/outfitting needs to be a full time job (or at least pay like a full time job).

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
Let’s not forget when you guys are wasting your money on bonus points that you will need to draw the general tag(with pp) before you can draw your limited entry units, so plan accordingly lol

OH_Tony

FNG
Yeah, between the cost and the frustration of making heads or tails of the regs/system....there are plenty of other states out there. Ive never been to MT, so I def want to make at least one trip for a hunt. Probably just do a general deer tag to cross it off the bucket list.
It's a beautiful state with some awesome country to hunt. I highly doubt you'll ever regret using your points and going hunting. But their system is anything but simple and logical.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Montana don't want no DIY hunters like you no more so they changed the system to benefit them outfitters.
The most overpriced deer tag in the west is a Montana NR tag for the public land hunter. Happy I quit playing their losing game. Outfitters everywhere are rejoicing that this apex predator and his band of assassins are off the MT landscape and they're hoping you give up too so they can feed their families since guiding/outfitting needs to be a full time job (or at least pay like a full time job).
Wyoming is about to blow Montana out of the water on tag fees