Montana knife company

Hey guys , looking for some reviews on the MKC , looking at the Blackfoot 2.0 . They look and sound great but wanting to hear from people who are using them. Tia and God bless!

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
I own the Blackfoot 2.0 and it is great (I actually own two because I “needed” the Magnacut version. You can’t go wrong. Perfect design (seemed small at first). Will do multiple animals between sharpenings. Has forever warranty and will sharpen and clean as much as you want just send it back to them. My friends always want to use it when we are out. It’s great. Have used it on deer, elk, bear, birds, etc

OP
Silvercreek1999
I own the Blackfoot 2.0 and it is great (I actually own two because I “needed” the Magnacut version. You can’t go wrong. Perfect design (seemed small at first). Will do multiple animals between sharpenings. Has forever warranty and will sharpen and clean as much as you want just send it back to them. My friends always want to use it when we are out. It’s great. Have used it on deer, elk, bear, birds, etc
My biggest question/concern is whether I can do a whole elk without resharpening . I use an outdoor edge replacement blade knife and went through 6 blades on 1 elk .

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys , looking for some reviews on the MKC , looking at the Blackfoot 2.0 . They look and sound great but wanting to hear from people who are using them. Tia and God bless!
See sticky above for more info on the MKC 2.0.
I was able to use this knife on a bighorn sheep about a month ago and it performed very well. My only real negatives on it were the handle does get slippery when wet (someone else also experienced this) and I like some serrations on the back of the blade so your thumb or index finger has a bit more control especially when caping which you can certainly do with this blade shape. Both those are just a personal preference for me........no deal breakers.20230830_111834.jpg20230830_111915.jpg20230830_114154.jpg

Randy

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
My biggest question/concern is whether I can do a whole elk without resharpening . I use an outdoor edge replacement blade knife and went through 6 blades on 1 elk .
Yes, I was able to last fall. I do use a separate knife to remove the legs at the joints because I found that is an easy way for me to dull knives

Yes you can, including joints. I’d hold out for the magnacut version.
I’d pay attention to how you are cutting though, it shouldn’t take 6 blades to do anything.

Dbaer282

FNG
I don’t have the Blackfoot but own the Speedgoat and Stoned Goat…. All high quality blades with great customer service ! Highly recommended!

I’ve watched the owner for what seems like a while now after I caught the episode where he was on forged in fire along with his success following it. He is a very knowledgeable bladesmith and puts out a good product. I wouldn’t hesitate to add one to your pack.

Very positive experience with MKC so far. I used cheaper knives and havalons for years and got tired of constantly reshaping and replacing blades. I was very intrigued by the MKC knives.

2023 season: Caped and quartered two elk and four whitetail deer with MKC blades this season. 1/2 with the stonewall skinner the other with the whitetail knife. You can certainly do a whole elk with either blade but save the bone popping work for the end to avoid dulling the blade or use another knife if you can.

The stonewall worked awesome on the elk but I found too big for a whitetail deer. (Or more likely I am not skilled enough with a big blade to not poke holes everywhere with a smaller animal). If they do a release of the stonewall with magnacut that is my preference, but the standard blade does well and responds very well to a quick touch up on the sharpener/strop. I’m very glad I have it for large animal breakdown.

My favorite is the whitetail blade with the jimping on the back for grip and the magnacut blade is ridiculously sharp and durable. The first time I used it was gutting two whitetail and it was a hot knife in butter, so smooth sharp and easy.

Hopefully this helps! If they come out with a boning knife I will be looking to get one.