Money Spent?

drra

FNG
Most of the trips I've taken have been once in a lifetime trips and the last thing I want is to second guess my gear, I consider it an investment in the trip. Like others I've accumulated enough gear over the years that I don't have to get much new gear to be ready to go (especially rifles, binos and spotting scopes - unless I do something stupid should never need to replace the ones I have).

UA_Blake

FNG
I am one of the hated “flat landers” and I want to point out that after you do the initial investment for gear, one trip a year is about the same price as being in a decent hunting club in the Southeast. For me, I would rather take 5-7 days and completely dedicate myself to hunting than hit the hunting club a couple of times a weekend. Not to mention if you pick the right hunting location there is no cell service and you can completely unplug. With that said I have probably spent $1039572920484729 on gear 😂🤑

Wrench

WKR
About 20% of our net income. We do better than average for earnings, but still have to work and feed 5 kids.

Southernhunters

Lil-Rokslider
Newbie to western hunting this year. I get this may be a personal question, but how much roughly do you think you've spent on gear/tags/fuel/everything in between. I have a great career and have been very fortunate to work close to home and make a decent living. Therefore i have been buying higher end gear and using the buy once cry once method. But its really starting to add up. Wife is okay with it so i am as well. I work a lot of OT to pay for this thing we love called hunting. Just curious on everyone else's experience

If it’s what you love to do and can afford it….do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I think some people fail to realize the entertainment or enjoyment value of this. They'd never bat an eye spending 5-10k to go to Disney and come home with a couple snapshots and gut rot.

I have been taking my kids as they get older, the land I bought is appreciating, and I guarantee I enjoy it more than the guy who's hobby is friday night dirt track racing.

Doesn't always have to make money.
Yup; the buddy I’m talking about never wanted to go moose hunting because he didn’t want to pay 50-60 dollars in gas and not get one. I guess it just was t worth it to him.

harge57

Lil-Rokslider
Let's add this up for just western hunting over the last 5 years...

250 backpack
1300 tents - backpacking and base tent.
2000 rifle
1500 bow, arrows, etc.
2000 optics
700 boots- 2 pairs
700 clothes -
400 sleeping bags, pads, etc.
500 misc. stoves, lights, knives, game bags, water filters etc.

So rounding up to 10K. In gear and I bought at least half of that stuff used.

I would imagine I could get 70% of what I paid for all this if I decided to sell it all. (That's partly of how I justify it.)

Then there are true expenses.

I have probably spent on avg.
1500 on tags, points, etc every year.

For a trip out west I usually spend.

800 in gas from TX.
500 in food

So another 3k a year minimum.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

roymunson

WKR
Yup; the buddy I’m talking about never wanted to go moose hunting because he didn’t want to pay 50-60 dollars in gas and not get one. I guess it just was t worth it to him.
Guy like that needs his type 1 fun. Go buy a motorcycle.

Newbie to western hunting this year. I get this may be a personal question, but how much roughly do you think you've spent on gear/tags/fuel/everything in between. I have a great career and have been very fortunate to work close to home and make a decent living. Therefore i have been buying higher end gear and using the buy once cry once method. But its really starting to add up. Wife is okay with it so i am as well. I work a lot of OT to pay for this thing we love called hunting. Just curious on everyone else's experience

Your order is incorrect. The correct order is tags/fuel/gear.

I’ve only been out to CO for elk twice, but it really isn’t that bad…but it also doesn’t matter too much, or at least not as much as when I was younger. I work hard, make enough, and you only get one go around.

Just consider the value proposition of each purchase and check your vanity at the door.

Good question.

I probably spend a lot less than some (most?) of the folks on this board based on how popular it seems the high end equipment is here.

Guesstimate:

Rifle- $1k
Pack - $300
Tent - $450 (for Kodiak Canvas base camp tent)
Sleeping bag/pad/cot - $200
Buddy heater/bottle - $100
Camp kitchen (stove, lantern, etc) $100
Binocs - $1000
Clothes - $500
Boots - $250
Misc. - $200

So probably about $4k +/- in gear and I can use all that for multiple years (and have).

It would be cool to create gear lists for the $1k, $2k, etc. budget every year because I know it would help some people decide. For many, this western hunting thing seems insurmountable but it really isn't. People go every year on probably $1k worth of gear and still kill things and have fun.

Good question.

I probably spend a lot less than some (most?) of the folks on this board based on how popular it seems the high end equipment is here.

Guesstimate:

Rifle- $1k
Pack - $300
Tent - $450 (for Kodiak Canvas base camp tent)
Sleeping bag/pad/cot - $200
Buddy heater/bottle - $100
Camp kitchen (stove, lantern, etc) $100
Binocs - $1000
Clothes - $500
Boots - $250
Misc. - $200

So probably about $4k +/- in gear and I can use all that for multiple years (and have).

It would be cool to create gear lists for the $1k, $2k, etc. budget every year because I know it would help some people decide. For many, this western hunting thing seems insurmountable but it really isn't. People go every year on probably $1k worth of gear and still kill things and have fun.
Your estimates are pretty modest and honestly it would be pretty hard to pare it down much farther. To get the cost down much more,you would probably need a partner to go in halves on the tent and other non personal items.

jayhawk

WKR
You would be amazed how much money can be saved buying used or waiting for deals.

For example; in 2018 before my first western hunt I bought the following used but in nee condition.

Seek Unaweep 4800 - $225
REI Synthetic 15 deg bag - $80
Nemo Tensor pad - $64

Everything above is more then double what I paid for it brand new.

I've used a $12 Etekcity IsoButane stove from Amazon since then, going on its 5th season and I use it at work throughout the year.

I hunt in wrangler hiking pants and Eddie Bauer 50% off puffy and outer shell.

My bow is an essentially brand new 2014 Elite Energy, complete bow brand new strings $400 to my door this year.

None of this has to be as expensive as guys make it. My kit is probably good for 10 years and I could buy it all again and still not be all in for the price of Sitka and brand new bows.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
This ^

It's amazing how much I've saved buying used or not buying hunting brand stuff. I've even found good stuff on Craigslist and at goodwill.

Lowg08

WKR
To be honest. I’ve been thinning down because I focused on what works best and got rid of what I wanted. I literally in 2 months have went from 7 totes to sharing one with my son. Best decision ever. I can use a 2000cubic inch day pack and pack everything I need for an all day whitetail hunt