Money Spent?

EvanG17

FNG
Newbie to western hunting this year. I get this may be a personal question, but how much roughly do you think you've spent on gear/tags/fuel/everything in between. I have a great career and have been very fortunate to work close to home and make a decent living. Therefore i have been buying higher end gear and using the buy once cry once method. But its really starting to add up. Wife is okay with it so i am as well. I work a lot of OT to pay for this thing we love called hunting. Just curious on everyone else's experience

Tahoe1305

WKR
I’ll throw an estimate out:

Gun setup: $1k
Binos: $2k
Spotter: $1k
Tripod: $400
Sleep setup: $400
Tent: $400
Boots: $300
Pack: $400
Clothing: $600 (this could go triple easy).
Misc (kill kit, stove, etc): $1k

Gear total: $7.5k

Tags vary… out of state likely $1k.
Plus travel expenses.

It’s not a cheap initial investment if you start with higher end gear. But then just tags and travel (if you are disciplined enough not to try new gear….)

Edit: you could easily double that estimate with Uber high end stuff. I’d say this cost is for very good stuff but not the “best”.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Don’t want to add it up. So far the only things I think I truly needed to spend money on was boots, backpack, optics, and gps. Should have taken the money I spent on other items to go on more trips
It hurt a bit added it up in the time you posted this. I’m a tad ashamed now….I’ll get over it quick though ;)

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll throw an estimate out:

Gun setup: $1k
Binos: $2k
Spotter: $1k
Tripod: $400
Sleep setup: $400
Tent: $400
Boots: $300
Pack: $400
Clothing: $600 (this could go triple easy).
Misc (kill kit, stove, etc): $1k

Gear total: $7.5k

Tags vary… out of state likely $1k.
Plus travel expenses.

It’s not a cheap initial investment if you start with higher end gear. But then just tags and travel (if you are disciplined enough not to try new gear….)

Edit: you could easily double that estimate with Uber high end stuff. I’d say this cost is for very good stuff but not the “best”.
^ What he said. Except I bought crappy gear first, then mid level gear, now I buy good gear. I also hunt bow/rifle big game and upland, turkeys and ducks. So it's more like 5k a year for 7 years. Double if you count the dog, vet bills, truck, hunting related truck maintenance. I could hunt the rest of my life with what I have, but I'll find 5-10k worth of stuff I "need" for the foreseeable future. Thankfully it's more like ammo and taxidermy nowadays.

Elkbelch

FNG
Whatever it takes, it can be done on an ultra low budget or first class. Clothing with a camo print or fancy antler design will certainly cost more. A gun can be several thousand or $400. Same for bows. I wouldn’t skimp on footwear or glass if you are setting up camp it can be a whole lot. I still have and use most of the items I first purchased in 94. I traded two hand guns for a Montana Canvas wall tent and still use it.

Shawn

It’s funny how the outdoor industry has been so successful in marketing stuff to us. My poor, high school self killed just as many animals as I have later in life. Wearing a backpack that I got for free for opening a bank account and using a 30 dollar Stansport pack frame when I made the first trip back to my usually broken down ‘72 Chevy . Military surplus camo, an old Forest Service sleep pad and sleeping bag was all I needed. Man, sometimes I miss that guy!

OutHeavy

FNG
You're going to spend as much as you can afford to spend. There's always going to be something faster, lighter or a new place to venture. My advice is to set a budget for yourself each year and then try to abide by it. After a few years you'll have everything you truly need and then it's just chasing new experiences and dialing in your gear to where it's most functional and comfortable to you. If this becomes something you're truly passionate about then don't fool yourself by thinking "Once I spend X amount of dollars then I should be good". Moderation should keep you out of debt..maybe...

grfox92

WKR
You would be amazed how much money can be saved buying used or waiting for deals.

For example; in 2018 before my first western hunt I bought the following used but in nee condition.

Seek Unaweep 4800 - $225
REI Synthetic 15 deg bag - $80
Nemo Tensor pad - $64

Everything above is more then double what I paid for it brand new.

I've used a $12 Etekcity IsoButane stove from Amazon since then, going on its 5th season and I use it at work throughout the year.

I hunt in wrangler hiking pants and Eddie Bauer 50% off puffy and outer shell.

My bow is an essentially brand new 2014 Elite Energy, complete bow brand new strings $400 to my door this year.

None of this has to be as expensive as guys make it. My kit is probably good for 10 years and I could buy it all again and still not be all in for the price of Sitka and brand new bows.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
As a lifelong hunter already had a bunch of stuff already but did budget $10k to do 3 diy western hunts starting in 2017.

Will end the quest somewhere around $12k spent on 2 diy and 1 guided hunts (estimating $5k+ For guided).

The WY 90/10 talk is why i signed up for guided speed goats in 2023 instead of diy.

The $12k is soup to nuts w gear, optics, tags, travel, etc. Mid-level gear. Could pack up and go hunt tomorrow without buying any more stuff.

The prices do add up quite easily and with this inflation, things will be higher than just a few years back.