Mixing several 1 lb containers different lots

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
Okay, may draw a lot of fire here. I have never done this, but have been told people do. Lets say you have 10 1lb containers of 7828 ssc and not all are from the same lot number. Which is what I have. Are you better off mixing all of them, and then placing back into the containers. Or, just chasing the groups from lot to lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
I usually don’t alter the powder charge between containers unless I’m at top end pressure, so I don’t think it matters. I mix just to consolidate powders into one larger jug since the mixture won’t likely be consistent anyway.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You can if you want to, nothing wrong with it. Alot depends on how fast you'll shoot through 10lb of powder? Assuming you won't shoot that out in a matter of months and have a few that are the same lots I'd load based on the lot and when the time came to get into the next lot test the velocity and tweak that load as needed. If all 10 were a different lot that's another story.

EdP

WKR
I don't think you would see any change lot to lot for normal hunting distances (not PRS, not benchrest, etc). So, if I am wrong about that, there is still nothing wrong with mixing. May not be necessary but sure won't hurt anything.

If going on a hunt I like to practice with the load I intend to take. Then load a box of 20, check zero and adjust if needed. That should still leave 15 or so to take on the hunt. One or two to check zero once at the hunt location and you still have plenty for the hunt.

For benchrest or PRS, mixing seems like a good idea.

Dmoua

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t mix but I also stopped buying 1lb bottles.

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
The only downside to mixing I can think of is that you'll be opening sealed powder containers and exposing the powder to atmospheric moisture. Not a big deal if you live somewhere dry, but less than ideal if there's high humidity. Some dessicant packets in the powder containers and taping the lids would help the powder longevity.

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for your responses!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk