Mismatch Camo

**** it, I’m going out on Saturday morning in cut off shorts and my slippers.
But I’ve really considering buying some white crocs, white framed sunglasses and a white flat brim hat with some trendy logo on it to add to my kit so that I can run them with the cut offs. My guess is with some fresh gear like that people will know I’m serious and be smashing the like button when I post my 37 pictures of the same deer that I just killed. And don’t worry about the meat, it will be donated or thrown away, no biggie.
My guess is if a buck manages to see me before I shoot him he will be so distracted by what appears to be a douchebag it will definitely buy me a few more seconds to make a range and wind call and dial up the turrets for that right off the road 53 yard shot I’m gonna make with my custom built man bun. Boy I tell ya those match primers made all the difference, this gun shoots .1 MOA now. (This is all meant in sarcasm, some on here struggle to see that as of late.)
I’ve worn matching camo like two times in my whole life, felt like a tool for doing it, just not my style.
I was into solid and mismatched colors way before it was in vogue.
funniest post I've read in years!

FLATHEAD

WKR
Back in Feb I killed a 33" Aoudad wearing plaid and jeans.
I will get camoe'd up when calling cats or ducks.
Not picky about my camo though, dont think I'm ever matched.

goalie

FNG
I've killed deer at under ten yards in jeans and a Carhartt jacket.

Movement. Scent. Noise.

They're all more important than color, let alone matching.

mtnhunt

FNG
I used to always wear solids with the occasional camo piece. But Ive been hearing solids are cool now ... so everything Ive been buying is camo.

Carlin59

WKR
You guys are missing the key: gaiters. They really tie the ensemble together, whether matched camo, mixed camo, or solids. Basically the woman’s handbag of the hunting clothing world.

You're best off wearing camo tops only.. the animals will think your legs are just regular old tree stumps and your upper torso will just disappear(think of it like wearing a green shirt on a green screen recording)

The best hunter I know wears whatever he wants. Sometimes camo, sometimes solids, sometimes random assortments of random colors. He kills an elk on opening day more often than not, and it's always a good one.

It will be a long long time before more animals are killed in designer camo patterns than have been killed in a flannel and jeans. Same with designer cartridges versus a good old 30-06.

(full disclosure, I hunt with a 6.5x284 norma and wear head to toe Kuiu or wool, but the flat bill makes my head hurt, and I always get solid pants so I can mix any pattern top, am I "that guy"?)

You're best off wearing camo tops only.. the animals will think your legs are just regular old tree stumps and your upper torso will just disappear(think of it like wearing a green shirt on a green screen recording)
I do this, not because I look like a stump but because I think camo pants look lame. I think I am "that guy".

jedm

FNG
I've killed deer wearing lots of different colors and camo patterns. But I do enjoy changing out my wardrobe and buying new hunting clothes every now and then.

BCsteve

WKR
I like wearing different camo patterns, I feel it breaks your silhouette better. I'm a mix of Sitka, Kuiu, Cabelas and multicam

One my buddies who tends to kill more and bigger bucks than the rest of our friends is usually wearing just about any color of T-shirt unless it’s warm which it often is in ca. then it’s whatever tank top he grabbed and blue jeans. One buddy only wears plaid button up western shirts hunting or otherwise and kills plenty. Another friend actually has a strict no camo rule on his ranch. Be quiet, be still, don’t stink too much and keep your eyes open seems to be the key to success imo. Some of the camo patterns are pretty cool looking and I have and wear various brands from time to time but I don’t kid myself that the animals don’t see me because of them.

TheGDog

WKR
3D Leafy Camo is amazing! Camo buys you extra time. Time in extra seconds before the creature realizes WTF you are before deciding to bolt. Movement is movement and if you move and they directly saw you when you moved... then you're likely busted. But he might not immediately bolt, as long as you freeze the moment you notice he's detected your movement, but eventually... he will bolt. He'll try to catch your wind first though, since he's not so sure about what his eyes are seeing. (This was in a Mexican Stand-off at about 7yds with a 3x3)

But... if it was out of the corner of it's eye that it noticed you... and you freeze... with the 3D Leafy camo on, when he (coyote or deer or bobcat) then turns your way to look, it's highly likely that if your freeze-game skills are on point, and there's at least 25-30yds tween you.... that he'll just chalk it up to "Oh, I must have just saw that leafy bush move in the breeze out of the corner of my eye." And then they'll resume travelling in the direction they were already headed.

With the 3D Leafy stuff on? Man... it's insane! I've even had a Cottontail come up to about 12" from my right foot as I sat in my Helinox style chair on a sit, ironically enough, for Rabbits. I eventually took him home with me too, when he eventually passed by and got far enough away from my sit.

I've had Doe arrive on the scene where I'm on that sit, and not see me... and not bolt until she finally fed along far enough that she got behind me, and on that day, this meant downwind of me, in order to smell the two dead rabbits at my feet... which made her bolt back into the thick.

As long as you also cover up your hands, and your face? It's amazing the difference in experiences you have while out in the field.

I will note though... that if an area you're choosing to hunt in... will have a buncha other yahoos around... if you elect to go the Leafy-suit/Ghillie-suit route... be sure to stuff at least an Orange Hat sticking up from your dropped pack on the ground beside you. Otherwise you just might find yourself one day with a 15yo girl pointing her rifle dead-on... and I mean DEAD-ON... at you from 200yds away. Nobody needs that kinda white-hot pucker-factor in their life... so be cautious about that aspect when employing concealment gear.

Usually it's never a problem as I'm usually the only one around in a place. But with fire closure and other BS, plans can change-up quickly sometimes, so just something to be aware of if you then find yourself having to goto a different area to hunt in then you planned, and you find that day there are others creepin' about around the area while you've been there since well before dawn with the 15's on the Tripod, seated nice and low and undetectable, on a slope overlooking a large FOV they then later-on start to show up in all late to the party.

Last edited:

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
You fellow sliders are some judgey sob. I could care less what other people are wearing. The main reason I like higher end hunting clothing and often times they were only available in camo is because of specific features ie windstopper, thickness, vents, pocket locations. And the best part about them is they have better cuts and think more about what you are doing in the article like bow hunting or duck hunting. My camo may or may not match and I hunt with people that may or may not match and don’t really care which way. I am joking about being judgey but you have to understand some new hunters never got to grow up watching Roger Raglin hunting. 😀