Minimalistic

How many of you all have pulled away from the gear heavy side of the outdoors and tried to get back to the basics? If so, what changes have you made? I am in the process of doing this and so far its been pretty eye opening!

bsnedeker

WKR
My pack gets lighter with almost every backcountry trip I take! The saying "you pack your fears" is very true. I used to carry stuff for about any contingency, but the more comfortable I get with being deep in the backcountry and the more my I hone my skills as an outdoorsman I just continually drop stuff. I'm only about 5 years in to this stuff and I feel like I'm getting her dialed in, but I still have a ways to go I think.

Poser

WKR
I think a big part of figuring out what is comfortable. If a newby goes full bore ultralight out of the gate, they will invariably make gear mistakes. If a newby skimps and goes too excessive, they will be loaded down and often turned off. I think it’s best to start a bit conservative and keep dialing it in over time.

As my gear continues to evolve, I have gotten more interested in reducing bulk than weight, though weight does tend to be a by product.

OP
E
I think when we talk minimizing.....we limited it to what is in our pack. I am talking about the total amount of outdoor gear you own. I remember having one shotgun, one rifle, and a bow. I look back on that time and man did I have a blast! The gear has made these hobbies stressful. We spend more time questioning our purchases than we do actually enjoying the sport we love. Sorry to preach but it is just something I have noticed more and more in my group of hunting/fishing buddies.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
I understand what your talking about. I first started rabbit and hare hunting I had carhartt double faced pants, green lacrosse insulated rubber boots, two dogs, my work jacket and a Mossberg 500 with a slug barrel for deer and a bird barrel for everything else. Including coyote, for, duck, goose and of course rabbit. Also had a 30-30 and a Marlin .22

Now there's a shotgun for hare, a shotgun for coyote, one for deer, an encore pistol for cottontail, rubber boots, pac boots, insulated hikers, dog tracking equipment, wool pants, under armour pants, the list goes on and on!!

the old days, I could shoot that Mossberg like it was an extension of me. It's what I carried for every game season. Now I need to practice to be proficient with every one I hope to use and I just don't have enough time for it all!!!

So I have really started downsizing all my gear and getting back to the basics. slowly but surely, If I haven't used it in two seasons, it gets sold.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
Way back when we did not have the option of buying most of the stuff they have right now. Many folks only had 1 rifle and 1 shotgun and it was fine. Can still be fine if you can resist the latest super duper marketing we have these days or the forums telling you exactly what to buy that you don't need.

Stress tho - why the stress? That's the crazy part.

I'm not afraid to upgrade my stuff from time to time - with good reason of course. ;)

OP
E
Yup, I have a two season limit as well. The best part is being able to give some of the items away to new hunters or hunters in need. It seems to eliminate the "what a waste of money" feeling. :)

16Bore

WKR
Measure twice, cut once. Think 5 times before you buy.

Been on that path for a spell and not looking back. It’s like taking a big dump. Less clutter = a clear mind.

80% return on 20% effort. Just keep that in mind. You’ll find yourself reverting back to the same stuff you had in your younger years.

You can go deep into a lot of rabbit holes, the good thing is when you get out, you still know what you learned and it matters more that junk.

I went from “what can I get?” to “what can I get away with?” Pretty fun.

bsnedeker

WKR
I also downsize my gear on a regular basis. If I haven't used it in a year it goes up for sale. I do that with pretty much everything in my life though so it's just second nature.

Minimalist is a constant work in progress for me. I’m getting better every trip out though. I cut back on my kill kit, then my cook kit. I had a possibles bag that had duplicates of everything so that got restructured. Then my first aid kit was minimized to treat actual issues I’d encounter in the woods. I use a warmer quilt and layer at night with the layers I was bringing. I also quit using shit that could break easily, like air mats and bladders. I was pretty minimalistic in the military because everything your issues is freaking heavy, so I went with I’m gonna be comfy attitude and was always wore out. Now I’m back to being minimalistic, but I’m way smarter and my gear is a shit ton better.

Laramie

WKR
Hunting - yes! I do 99% of my hunting with a 12 year old bow, 15 year old pump shotgun and a 12 year old rifle. The rest of my gear is similar. I tend to buy one new/upgraded item per fun hunt that I go on. Last hunt it was a new range finder. Most of my gear is streamlined and I rarely have the need to go buy much. I do like to shop for outdoor gear but I rarely buy unless I'm convinced it will make a significant difference in the field.

Fishing - nope. I buy quite a bit of new fishing gear yearly but I still keep it all fairly cheap.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I try to stay between thruhiker and Boy Scout zones. Do my best to stay out of doomsday prepper territory.

1 rifle, bow, pistol, rod, tackle box. Two packs, one is a day bag for hiking and travel the other is for hunting and backpacking. They really don’t overlap at all.

carter33

WKR
I think a lot of the worrying over gear and wanting the latest/greatest stems from people not being able to get out and enjoy hunting and the outdoors as much as most of us would like or as people used to. I know that is true for me.

Tinkering and finding side pursuits that are part of hunting like long range shooting sorta fill the void so to speak.

I honestly think if I was able to get out more I’d be focused on planning/scouting for those trips and spend less time over analyzing gear and spending more money than necessary.

I think a lot of the worrying over gear and wanting the latest/greatest stems from people not being able to get out and enjoy hunting and the outdoors as much as most of us would like or as people used to. I know that is true for me.

Tinkering and finding side pursuits that are part of hunting like long range shooting sorta fill the void so to speak.

I honestly think if I was able to get out more I’d be focused on planning/scouting for those trips and spend less time over analyzing gear and spending more money than necessary.
i think this is spot on. I'm stuck at work way too much when i'd rather be glassing up critters so i fill that giant void by browsing hunting forums and looking at gear reviews and google earth.

Rich M

WKR

Excellent - does seem like you hit the nail on the head.

I used to work with a guy who was obsessed with fly fishing, real easy to talk w him and he knew the jargon. He just NEVER went - maybe once or twice a year. I took him bass fishing and we caught a dozen or so - you'da swore I gave him a $million$ he was so happy. Then I moved down here and found out he was down on vacation - tried to get him to drive 3 hours to enjoy some of the fun salt water fishing we have. Haven't had a chance to talk to him since (20 long years) - nice guy - hopefully he figured out a way to enjoy himself instead of just the distraction of it all.

Not that distractions are all bad - I go from one to another and it seems to help keep me grounded. It is fun planning and prepping but but but - sometimes you just gotta go and do it.

WCB

WKR
I don't know what category I fall into....I like to have the gear needed to do the things I want when I want. I don't buy the latest and greatest or little gadgets just to have them, but I have the gear to do things properly.

I have a few guns but some are hand me downs. And I varmint/predator hunt and save pelts so I have a couple guns for that. I have a couple fly rods...one heavy for streamers or bass/pike. a couple different spinning/bait casters....nothing over board maybe 6 total. I just want to be able to do what I am doing correctly.

I've definitely seen it too many times that the "1 rifle" guy or the one of anything guy has a hunt or trip "wrecked" by not having a back up...who the heck brings one gun to a hunt hours from home? on the other hand I had clients bring 4 rifles, 3 packs, and 3 pairs of boots for a horse pack elk hunt... I try to stay somewhere in the middle

16Bore

WKR
Here’s a thought. Could anyone fit all of there possessions in an area 10x10x10?

Interesting goal to have...

TxxAgg

WKR
Here’s a thought. Could anyone fit all of there possessions in an area 10x10x10?

Interesting goal to have...

does that include things like fridges and couches? Or just personal items like clothes, toys, computer, guns?