Idaho Proposed Law Making All NR tags Go to Draw

Flyjunky

WKR
If they don't sell the tags, then they will have to raise the prices on all the tags to make up the difference.
If Idaho goes to a random draw most people think the number of applicants will go up. IDFG charges a fee for this drawing and they will be making more money, by a huge margin, over what they do now.

Last edited:

87TT

WKR
My point was that they are still going to sell the same number of NR tags whether it is to NR or let residents buy a second NR tag. I guess if they make more money from draw applicants, we can buy leftover NR tags at a discount like we used to a couple of years ago. Score!

If all elk tags that were previously "OTC" go to a draw, I'm curious if they would get classified as controlled hunts. Since you can only apply for sheep/moose/goat or controlled elk/deer this would mean everyone previously applying for sheep/moose/goat and buying OTC elk or deer tag would now have to pick between the two. It could get interesting on how that would affect some of the draw odds.

I really hope they keep the current system and implement some simple limitations like Steve O mentioned.

I'd be elated if it went to a draw. This sitting in line all day bullstuff sucks. I'd rather just log on, buy an application and be told later if I was drawn for the unit I wanted. Easy peezy. Yes I understand that its basically a draw based on where you are in line, but I've waited online with my laptop open for HOURS to find out that nothing more was available worth buying. Save folks some time in their day and just make it a real draw.

I'd be elated if it went to a draw. This sitting in line all day bullstuff sucks. I'd rather just log on, buy an application and be told later if I was drawn for the unit I wanted. Easy peezy. Yes I understand that its basically a draw based on where you are in line, but I've waited online with my laptop open for HOURS to find out that nothing more was available worth buying. Save folks some time in their day and just make it a real draw.
Agreed. And I remember the days of just buying a tag on the way to your unit even in November and buying second tags at non-res prices as a non-res... This will also be much better for ensuring you get to hunt with your friends and family and just put in as a group instead of ending up solo or guys in camp being left out cause they got a shitty spot in the online queue. I'm hoping IDFG scraps the Demeber 1 sale date this year and pushes the application period to January so this takes affect next season and not the following.

Grundy53

WKR
Agreed. And I remember the days of just buying a tag on the way to your unit even in November and buying second tags at non-res prices as a non-res... This will also be much better for ensuring you get to hunt with your friends and family and just put in as a group instead of ending up solo or guys in camp being left out cause they got a shitty spot in the online queue. I'm hoping IDFG scraps the Demeber 1 sale date this year and pushes the application period to January so this takes affect next season and not the following.
Exactly

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

TheTone

WKR
This bill passed. Now just the wait to see how the draw will be set up.
Pretty sure it did not pass, a second bill was introduced with more sideboards. In the end I think the result was the legislature let the bills sit and F and G is working on their own plan without the legislature forcing it

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
I have not been able to get in early enough to get a nr tag since 2020. Would like to see it stay the same way they have been doing it but put a 2 or 3 year gap so that if you get a tag you have to wait 2 or 3 years to be able to purchase a tag again. That may allow a better chance for all the nr trying to get a tag

Its not even the sitting in line part, its the fact that the system assigns you a random place in line. It would be one thing if it was literally first come first serve but its not. You're at the whim of a random number generator which is essentially a lottery so why not cut out the middle man and make it so?

I have not been able to get in early enough to get a nr tag since 2020. Would like to see it stay the same way they have been doing it but put a 2 or 3 year gap so that if you get a tag you have to wait 2 or 3 years to be able to purchase a tag again. That may allow a better chance for all the nr trying to get a tag
People laugh at this, but as pressure continues to go up(and tag numbers down) it wouldn't surprise me if agencies started implementing a "cool down" once you draw a tag.