Milton

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I live in So. Cal. the threat of an earthquake is something we live with. I have an emergency generator, gas and propane, 50 gals of water, MRE's, battery/crank radio, and a lot of other things we will need to hold us over for several days. But more than any of that, the people who are in the track of Milton had better heed the warning to get out.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
Praying that there isn't immense loss of life. Seems like this could end really poorly for those that stayed.

I don't understand what the long game is for the New Orleans, Tampa Bays, etc. of the world. Basically the areas more prone to flooding that are bound to get hit by storms like this. This sounds really callous as I know people call these places home and have deep ties there - but at some point doesn't society determine that the amount of money going into rebuilding coastal areas is not worth it? There is such a mind-numbing amount of money that flows into the aftermath of these storms. I just always wonder when the average citizen will decide that the money isn't worth it, and when the market may do the same (real estate folks, hotels, restaurants, etc.). I guess there will always be a desire to enjoy the beaches, food, etc. of coastal regions, so there has to be infrastructure there, but it just seems like an inevitable cycle of re-build, destruction, repeat. Just something that I've often thought about. I don't know what the answer is...

Praying for the safety and health of all impacted by Helene and now Milton.

By that thought we should abandon all of the Western Mountain towns due to wildfires(which are semi manmade due to their logging practices/agenda but we won't get into that), or maybe places where they have mudslides annually. What about big urban cities where millions are spent on gang violence that kills more annually than all the hurricanes in a geographic area will in a lifetime. These cities were built because of their locations and business, not on tourist destinations. New Orleans is a shit hole, but the Oil & Gas industry in South Louisiana(south of New Orleans) is mind boggling how large it is and how many people it feeds and employs.

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
Any updates on the storm? I don't watch the news much.

As far as what’s being reported so far, seems like a good bit of flooding, downed trees, and downed power lines. Luckily it sounds like it didn’t generate the storm surge that was anticipated, but it still dropped 16” of rain.

Phaseolus

WKR
I’m down just north of Daytona for my Brothers wedding. Lots of rain and wind, the power is out but very little damage where my Mom lives. The center of the storm went almost directly over us after crossing Florida. Neighbors carport went flying about 2am.

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I think we will see a lot of reckoning in the next 20-30 years related to towns that proliferated naturally thru capitalism but the original inhabitants had no intention of staying long and it just got away from everyone.

300 years ago no one built their houses on the beach or in low areas. You went to the beach or went camping and then went home to your house on a hill in the middle of yard which served as a fire brake.

The insurance industry and lending industry have created this mess hand in hand.

We live and work on barrier islands. There is a town to the east of us that's under water called Morris Island. There's another town to the southeast of us that's under water called Eddingsville. I believe this will happen again but it takes a while to play out. We have the machinery to do beach renourishment and move inlets now but if the inhabitants lose interest in these activities or run out of money or if they stop issuing permits for these tasks, its game over.

A lot of those towns in NC ruined by Helene started as logging decks that haphazardly turned into big towns that probably shouldn't be there or be as developed as they are.

Rich M

WKR
Woke up this morning after sleeping thru, err surviving Milton. Still have power.

Glad this thing went pretty easy on most folks. Those in low lying areas and who got nailed by tornadoes will have a diff story. God bless them.

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
It passed to the north of me. Some tornados around my place but no damage to my house. Crazy how many tornados popped but it happen’s.

Got real lucky it weakened to a cat 3. Still no joke but could’ve been lot worse for folks in Tampa.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Yes, thankfully it didn't bring a ridiculous amount of storm surge that was anticipated. Also since the hurricane weakened before landfall and that it shifted south it probably didn't do as much damage as it could have. The tornados appeared to cause a lot of damage though.

TaperPin

WKR
I guess there will always be a desire to enjoy the beaches, food, etc. of coastal regions, so there has to be infrastructure there, but it just seems like an inevitable cycle of re-build, destruction, repeat. Just something that I've often thought about. I don't know what the answer is...
It took me a while to wrap my head around the economics of it, coming from a construction background of building things to last 100-200 years it seemed silly to rebuild in a place that will surely get wiped out again.

Our oldest ended up in the outer banks and we were looking at buying a condo near the beach - the thing that impressed me was how nice communities look after a hurricane and all the rebuilding. After looking at historical trends and local building codes it eventually sunk in that property owners factor in the anticipated lifespan of their buildings as being much more limited than other areas. It’s just a fact of life in the worst areas every ten years it’s likely that even a new building built to current codes will require significant repairs, and in 20 years it’s likely to be totaled, and anyone assuming a beach house will last 30 years is kidding themselves. That makes beach front properties less attractive to retire in, and better suited as vacation rentals that pay for themselves quickly. Owners of income properties there seem to think of wiped out areas as opportunities to just build more rentals.

Some people will build in flood planes even if it makes no long term sense, but they do what they can afford and it must be human nature to have a short long term memory.