Military service late in life

dkell

FNG
It’s a young man’s game. It is pretty easy to become disillusioned quickly once you realize that it is often not a meritocracy, but who can play the Machiavellian game the best. I wasn’t interested in doing so. It was a great foundational life event as I was a young kid who needed the discipline and experience.

I wouldn’t do it at the point you are at in your life. Taking care of your family and kids is worth far more than a stint at this point in America. You can have a life of service without putting on a uniform.

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
There’s plenty of your age guys joining Okc fire. You can get 25 in and retire with a good pension and serve people in between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H
Thanks for all the comments. They're much appreciated. Yes, although I am interested and want to join, it would be a long process to think through it all with my family, even the NG or Reserves

Just because you want or have the desire to serve - does not mean that you will even qualify (long long list of perquisites). I’m not saying that to dissuade you, but being honest with you.

Just because you get a package started doesn’t mean that you are actually “signed up”. There’s a point when everything is approved that you literally sign that blank check. Have them start your package so you get a realistic assessment if you’d qualify and what job you’d qualify for.

Recruiting is like dealing with a used car salesman. Just realize that up front. Some of what they tell you is fact and some fiction.

Find out the physical fitness standards - and test yourself to see if you truly are “on the mark” for those tests - and BTW - don’t do them when you want to do the tests. Do them when you are sick and/or had a bad night of sleep when the conditions outside are subpar.

I’m a Marine and have a handful of good friends that wanted to serve but were disqualified for varying reasons.

For a realistic assessment of yourself - look at other ways to serve. Civilian mariner. Military contract support. DLA (Def Logistics Agency). Training support. Whatever. I realize that most people don’t appreciate support networks - but they do serve a purpose and are just as important.

Truly - good luck. Not easy decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macintosh

WKR
Its something I've thought about. My dad was SOF pre/early vietnam era and he both drilled into me much of the good parts, but also really turned me against military service with the bad parts. Consequently I never served in the military. Any second thoughts I've had came after I was already past maximum age to join, but I have found other ways to give back. If you want to serve there are other ways to be a crucial member of your community and an asset to your country, a few of which have been mentioned. Volunteering or a career in some of those fields could be a viable option that, equally importantly, would allow you to also be there for your family.

I made the conscious decision 10 years ago when my son was born to put him and his needs ahead of my own needs and career goals. I still live by that decision today.

IMO this country would be way better off if more people put their childrens needs ahead of their own. Thats my two cents on the topic.

I can’t imagine going enlisted at 37. Unimaginable really. As many have said, it’s a young man’s game. I went in the Marines at 17 years 9 months. My dad was 36 when I joined. You’d be older than him when I went in. Once I got to the fleet, we had a few guys in their uppers 20s - and it was a bit of a culture shock even for them. We saw them as old men. They just were always a bit on the outside looking in.

There is a vast difference between who you are (and the &@$? you’ll put up with) from 18 to 37. Enlisted, you have to put up with a lot of it. It’s pretty much all you do your first enlistment.

There’s bound to be a pretty significant difference between active duty in the USMC and the NG, but I still can’t even imagine going in at 37. You just have too much life experience to be naive enough to deal with entry level enlisted bull crap.

Another way of indirectly serving your country and former servicemen is to join and volunteer for the Wounded Warrior Hunt Programs.

Recruiting injured vets, getting tags donated, guiding wounded warriors for free, attending and speaking at VFW dinners, etc, etc…Lots of ways to serve, use your outdoor skills, and have fun at the same time.

Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

WKR
I could go deep into a list of why I don't think its a good idea to enlist at 37, but the simplest answer is recovery.

You might be in great shape, surely better than some recruits, but the reason it's a young man's game is they recover faster. You're going to get hurt, beat down, worn out. An 18 year old wakes up the next day charging for more. Day after day. They disregard potential long term injury effects because they are invincible and unconcerned with anything long term.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Advice from a real life army loser: I was an infantry officer, airborne, air assault, ranger tab. I declined going to rasp 2 to deploy with a platoon I was going to lead in AFG. Ended up divorced and left active to join 19th Group SF. If you want my advice take it or leave it.

I loved the men I was able to serve, and serve with. My NCOs, fellow junior officers and some soldiers were some of the best people I have ever met. We had some awesome and not so awesome times together. When I left the military was rapidly adopting progressive leftist ideals and forcing them down everyone’s throats, one of my reasons among many for leaving. Others including serving the military industrial complex and basically throwing the lives of some really great Americans down the drain in the name of military adventurism and lining the pockets of political hacks, senior officer shills that become consultants. AFG was a war that was fought and won in 6months and then we stayed for 20 years with no real plan, no real goals, it left lots of people I know and admire wounded, maimed, or dead. For what? Oh and did any top brass get in trouble for spineless leadership? No, did any GO’s get fired? No the army is not your grandfathers army. Band of brothers exists at the company level and below. The army is machine that will use you, destroy your body, your family life, and then toss you aside. I still consider myself a patriot, but I do not see anything worth joining. If we had a real threat arise I would be at the front of the line ready to fight, but while our Gov goes around getting us in BS conflicts I wouldn’t take part in that.

Also next thing: no one really cares about your service. No one cares how badass you are or were once you leave. It might get you an “ oh that’s cool” or a nod from a fellow veteran but deep down no one gives a shit.

You are making a big choice for you and your family, if you must maybe look at 19 th or 20th group, rest of NG is pretty fubar. Feel free to ignore this or tell me I’m an idiot hope this helps

CHGray

FNG
Classified Approved
Stroking my 18th year of service and I’m 38 years old. My advice if you want to serve is to join the reserves and take advantage of Title 10 opportunities. They can be $ lucrative and give you the sense of service to nation you’re looking for without the permanent commitment or separation from your family. Starting a new active duty career at this age is not something I would advise anyone to do.

TaperPin

WKR
In any physically demanding career there are some old guys who never leave, or come in late in life and dont mind competing with younger guys low on the totem pole - even enjoy working young guys into the ground - that works until it doesn’t.

Combat vets we hired, especially the guys serving before hummers were reinforced and phased out, would sometimes ask why I went so far out of my way to help them out with the new career - I’d say, because the military got more out of you than you’ll ever get out of them. Good guys.

Families that struggle with ptsd or tbi from military service would encourage you to do something else more family friendly, but also know it’s sometimes a natural human drive that‘s not arguable and all they can do is just hope for the best.

Later in life it’s good to be able to reflect on your choices and priorities and have few regrets, whatever that is for you.