Mid-size SUV or wagon options

Have you looked at an Audi A6 Allroad? 335HP twin turbo luxury wagon. AWD and a blast to drive.
Comfort like a leather Lazy Boy, fast and zippy and just enough room for good amount of gear. Higher cost to get into and higher maintenance over all. Think of it as buying that very nice Swarovski you always deserved. You only live once.
Mercedes E 63 AMG wagon, but not practical. The E450 wagons are very nice too, as are the Audi Q5,Q7.
There are good deals on used models. Lots of old rich ladies buy them and then trade them in after a few years.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Have you looked at an Audi A6 Allroad? 335HP twin turbo luxury wagon. AWD and a blast to drive.
Comfort like a leather Lazy Boy, fast and zippy and just enough room for good amount of gear. Higher cost to get into and higher maintenance over all. Think of it as buying that very nice Swarovski you always deserved. You only live once.
Mercedes E 63 AMG wagon, but not practical. The E450 wagons are very nice too, as are the Audi Q5,Q7.
There are good deals on used models. Lots of old rich ladies buy them and then trade them in after a few years.
I have definitely considered an Audi, but haven’t looked too muc at the A6 Allroad. I like the idea, as my sedan is an Audi. I’m personally not a fan of Mercedes or BMW, but with much in the way of specific reasons why.

Pn8hall

WKR
We bought my wife a Subaru Ascent which is their SUV. It gets about 23 mpg and holy cow does it have some zip to it. My daily driver is a Tundra and I absolutely love driving her Ascent. Very reasonably priced and at least around here they are still wheeling and dealing on price for new ones.

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
I would not recommend a RAV4. Finally unloaded our RAV4. Glad to send that thing down the road. Loud, ride was terrible. Things kept breaking, cheap interior.

We purchased a Mini Cooper countryman. I thought the wife was nuts for wanting a Mini Cooper, after some research we purchased one. I am pleasantly surprised. It is a fun little car.

When running errands on the weekends I’d never jump in the RAV4 even thought I should have to reduce miles on the truck. Hated that thing.

Now I look for reason to take Mini Cooper for a ride. Only had it a year so we’ll see.

Last edited:
I really like my Audi Allroad A6. I don’t consider BMW or Mercedes as there Is no dealer support here. Good luck with your search and hopefully you get to test a bunch of fun rides.

dpat

FNG
Subaru Ascent
Wife's car we took on family vacation this summer 15 hours each way with 4 adults and all our stuff had a little extra room drives great and comfortable mid 20's per gallon plus you can fold down 2nd row bucket seat and sleep in back if by yourself.
I don't want to like it as much as i do but it's a great midsize SUV

I have told the wife to look at the Ascent. I didnt realize it got such poor MPG compared to the Forester Though.

You might also look at a Volkswagen Atlas/ Atlas Cross or Sport. My wife had an Atlas and I love it. Gobs of room and plenty of power in the turbo 4 cylinder with all wheel drive. Upper 20’s for mileage too which I think is great for how big it is.

The Guide

WKR
You might want to look at the Honda Pilot TrailSport. I was looking really hard at one but got a GMC Canyon AT4 crew cab instead due to my needs and 0% financing available at the time through GMAC.

Jay

AWD Atlas. My wife had two 4 runners and just got an atlas. I haven’t taken it off road but it’s a pleasure to drive and been a great vehicle so far. I like it a lot more than either 4 runner.

I personally would not consider a RAV4 or any Subaru smaller than the Ascent as these are not what I would call a “mid-size“ suv. We looked long at hard at the Ascent but the gas mileage is honestly not impressive. It’s not as agile and nimble like it’s smaller siblings and Subaru does not scream luxury. Honda…. not an off-road capable vehicle. VW Atlas, their terrible service history is reason alone to steer clear as reliability is a major issue.

I think you will really struggle to find a “sporty mid-size off-road suv” that you would really take off road. To me, the only true “mid-size” that meets this criteria is the Mercedes G-Wagon, Land Rover Range Rover or Lexus LX. Obviously these aren’t practical nor intended to be true considerations. Besides, Land Rover has the worse reliability rating in existence (My opinion),

A not Uber expensive Mid-size would be the GMC Yukon AT4 or Chevy Tahoe Z71. Most of this is appearance package stuff that distinguishes it from its city dwelling brothers but there are some minor added off-road features. IMO ride quality is the same.

If you drop down in size from a true mid-size you get to the more sporty but some what off-road capable vehicles (interior room and cargo space start to take a hit from here down)

Porsche Cayenne
Audi Q 7 or 8; the A6 all sport has no real ground clearance. Same to be said for almost all wagons so I would nix them all.
Land Rover Defender (not reliable imo)
Volvo XC90
(I am not including BMW or Mercedes because of what was mentioned previously and imo they are not off-road capable)

Next up you lose the sportiness but add in more off-road capable:

2024 Toyota Land Cruiser
2024 Lexus GX

A little smaller and equally if not slightly more capable off road than above but even less sporty

Toyota 4Runner
Ford Bronco

And lastly a hodge podge of SUVs that aren’t sure what they are:

Subaru Ascent
Genesis GV80
Kia Telluride
Hyundai Santa Fe
VW Atlas

So…….. you have some work cut out for you. That’s why I went with a truck. If I were a camper/backpacker the above would be definite options. As a hunter, I want space and the ease of cleaning up and not having to worry about damaging the interior.

Last edited:

Tahoe1305

WKR
Kinda surprised it hasn’t been mentioned. But I bought my wife a Telluride 3 years back.

We love it. Nice on the inside. Awesome mileage (avg mid 20s). Punchy when needed on throttle. Had off road a handful of times and does fine (definitely not as good as jeep/pickup though). Definitely drives like a car and has a ton of room. I drive a late model Tahoe for comparison.

It won best mid size suv every year since it’s been out I think. You can do a 2” aftermarket lift and put AT tires on it and maybe add a tad bit more off-road capability.

I would 100% buy one for myself if I didn’t think having two of the exact same cars was boring. I’m looking hard at the new Tacoma/Landcruiser. But don’t overlook the telluride.

Fowl Play

WKR
I know you said you’re not looking for a truck. But allot of the higher end midsize trucks fit the bill of what you are looking for — GMC Canyon Denali for instance. Should test drive one, but with the larger engines, they can be fun to drive. Short bed with a nice roll up/ sliding cover — you will use it more than you think.

I’d look hard at a turbo outback. My wife has a base 2.5 and it’s a really solid car. Just slow as a snail and the engine sounds terrible, the turbo ones are much nicer on those fronts.

They are really capable cars and are extremely convenient, lots of forums have them lifted an inch or two with beefy tires and a top basket and they imo look cool as hell

tracker12

WKR
Im not worried about looks in a vehicle I want performance and reliability., My Subaru Outback just hit 222.222 with nothing but oil changes, tires and wheel bearings. It goes better than my 4x4 truck in the snow and has plenty of clearance. I know you may not like the looks but you described a Subaru in everything else you mentioned. But then again I carry my Glock everyday. lol

1brad

FNG
Only downside of a Volvo is the price. Other than that they’re perfect.

Old Dog

FNG
I'm going to have to finally replace my 2000 4 Runner. It's at 300k, probably could run it another 100k but I'm an old guy and crawling under it to work on it doesn't go well for me anymore. I'm pretty sure it will be replaced with another 4 Runner. That's all I've owned since I bought my first in 1996 and for the most I've been satisfied with each of them. The only downside for me is that they get shitty mileage. But mine have all been reliable, which for me trumps the fuel economy aspect.