Meateater is Woke

Sorry dude, I think Charles Post took that spot when Sitka kicked him loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man. I just strolled over to Mr. Post's Insta to see what that curious little fella's up to. He wrote this un-ironic sentence 5 days ago:

"Out there,caspian terns, murres and pelicans whizzed by, peeling around me as I gently rolled with each rib of landward corduroy. Some days, dolphins or flotillas of sea otters suddenly appeared like corks popping up to the surface, eyes wide. A quick shared glance, then we'd go about our respective maritime business."

I need to get on another level if I am competing with Mr. Post. Mushrooms? LSD? DMT? I'm open to all performance enhancing options.

lif

WKR
Oh man. I just strolled over to Mr. Post's Insta to see what that curious little fella's up to. He wrote this un-ironic sentence 5 days ago:

"Out there,caspian terns, murres and pelicans whizzed by, peeling around me as I gently rolled with each rib of landward corduroy. Some days, dolphins or flotillas of sea otters suddenly appeared like corks popping up to the surface, eyes wide. A quick shared glance, then we'd go about our respective maritime business."

I need to get on another level if I am competing with Mr. Post. Mushrooms? LSD? DMT? I'm open to all performance enhancing options.
That’s an insult to drugs

brsnow

WKR
I would mention if you ever get a chance to volunteer to take city kids, especially low income kids to the wilderness for fishing or camping the response is amazing. They are beyond excited. It is almost hard for them to believe the outdoors exist. Extremely impactful for all involved.

LandYacht

WKR
I would mention if you ever get a chance to volunteer to take city kids, especially low income kids to the wilderness for fishing or camping the response is amazing. They are beyond excited. It is almost hard for them to believe the outdoors exist. Extremely impactful for all involved.

Can’t believe this isn’t the tenor of this thread.

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
Can’t believe this isn’t the tenor of this thread.

Yes, and imagine how much positive traction meateater would have gotten had they actually written an article about true outreach, and not ridiculous hand-wringing, pearl-clutching, critisicm.

There was a fantastic article in Garden and Gun a while back about a black ornithologist... Talk about rare... was a GREAT article that covered all the bases. Worth looking up.

16Bore

WKR

Or maybe take some low income backwoods hillbilly’s downtown to a skate park, basketball court, tennis court, art museum, football game etc, etc...

It’s always “come to my world” but seldom, “let me see yours”

brsnow

WKR
Or maybe take some low income backwoods hillbilly’s downtown to a skate park, basketball court, tennis court, art museum, football game etc, etc...

Get the program started and I am sure you will have the support.

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider

This, not many people like getting out of their comfort zone and I can think of no more uncomfortable thing than hunting, unless of course we are talking Texas air conditioned "blind" hunting where you pull right up to it on the side by side.

Jokes aside I have attempted to recruit friends and family , both white and non white, to go. My brother in law went one time and posted some pictures to Facebook. His family gave him such a hard time he has never went again despite the fact that he had a huge smile on his face the whole time. That was a Louisiana deer and pig hunt so plenty of excitement. Even though its all OTC and tags are cheap trying to sell the idea of a Midwestern white tail hunt to a non hunter is an extremely hard sell, I cant say anyone has ever taken me up on the offer to go regardless of race or color. They always have something better to do than go sit in a tree stand or blind and freeze, go figure. :rolleyes:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So how does Meateater know that most whites hunting aren't associating as minorities? That isn't difficult to do if you pay any attention to media or the internet. Just by paying attention you'd think that LGBT's make up 60% of the population, blacks make up 70%, and straight whites are by far the minority.

And if you go further with actual reality numbers.........real true conservatives make up less than 30% of America, so I'm already the minority in America and I'm a hunter.

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
I was thinking the same thing. As soon as they went to a weekly podcast, the material became diluted to a point I'm frequently just not interested.

I so much preferred the feel of rinella when he was based in NY, wore cobbled together clothes and seemed like he was having fun and not trying to create some sort of fine-tuned media machine. Dunno, maybe this was his plan all along, but like he even said in a show, you can’t guess where you’ll be in 10 years.

And I think dumping a season’s worth of shows at one time, then filling in the space with podcasts and stupid videos with staff yuk-yuking has a certain lifespan. Just drip out a show every once in a while and write a book worth reading every few years and call it good. All the strategic partnerships and whatnot sterilizes what was once a very good thing.

brsnow

WKR
It may also be that city folk come to the country when all the white men are at elk and deer camp to chase lonely tails of a different sort. I know a group that alternated between WI and MI each year. Suits with an orange hat. Apparently the lady folk don’t all stay home when the men are in the woods.

The major issue I have with this sort of article is the part about bringing up someones skin color.

Who cares! I don't give a crap what color your skin is and it makes no difference to me.
If you are a good dude you are a good dude.

The only way we will be able to keep the race issue out of the headlines is when we stop making a big deal out of color of skin. The problem is there are so many institutions that make their money from race tension and making sure there is always a controversy. Lets drop it and put those people out of business.

My one black hunting buddy saves tons of money on face paint and camo masks...that is annoying. I don't see them bringing this up in the media...they have an unfair advantage with their skin tones.

Rinella is or leans somewhat liberal. His wife is a NYC girl. It is what it is. I am annoyed by the BS too but we need guys like Rinella to connect with the antis and uninformed.

We're not in the 1970s driving around with gun racks anymore, even though that was an awesome time and I'd take it back in a second.

Gobbler36

WKR
My favorite part about this is clearly the comments... the reading comprehension skills and the ability to see the statistics and come up with a completely inaccurate assessment of them is pretty funny.

Yes we get it there are areas where a few hundred Mexicans hunt... the other 36 million don’t.

And this is our problem we are supposed to fix?
Hell no if someone doesn’t hunt it’s not my problem, and I could care less I don’t care what color they are