Meateater is Woke

ODB

WKR
Not even sure where to start with this article: https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/big-game/is-hunting-too-white

The modern perspective that if the racial, etc., etc., makeup of a particular activity’s participants do not match those of the population at large there is something wrong or racist or sexist or ageist or anti-this or that is pernicious and reductive. In an effort to try to add nuance, they open a can of worms so deep it will consume them if they continue.

JWP58

WKR
I don’t see anything “dangerous” about this article?

You can’t cheat the mountain

I dont really see the point of the article either...? Why must the liberal left interject race into every aspect of life?

The virtue is strong tho

Cue the meatbeaters!

Last edited:

Ratbeetle

WKR
Well that seals the deal for me. I'm done with those clowns. I'm bombarded with SJW bullshit from every angle, this is the LAST place I want that garbage spreading.

This starts with an innocent enough idea and turns into inclusion above all else. Why don't we just get straight to the point and enact affirmative action rules for hunting now. Free or reduced tags for anyone with a dark skin tone! Diversity scores now appllied to your tag applications! If you check all of the right boxes you can get better draw odds! Sorry white males, you suck and no tags for you this year.

Stop the planet and just let me off.

Not even sure where to start with this article: https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/big-game/is-hunting-too-white

The modern perspective that if the racial, etc., etc., makeup of a particular activity’s participants do not match those of the population at large there is something wrong or racist or sexist or ageist or anti-this or that is pernicious and reductive. In an effort to try to add nuance, they open a can of worms so deep it will consume them if they continue.

Sounds like you want to offended or just didn't read it and comprehend.

The article is a good one with good data and a good message. Minorities don't participate in hunting at a very high rate. Minorities will make up the majority of the population soon. A population unlikely to participate in hunting is not good for the future of hunting. The article also pointed out the lack of participation in general outdoor activities by minorities.

Maybe go pack and read the last part about inclusion.

Or maybe I did not comprehend it.

JWP58

WKR
Welp let me tell you, whoever took that survey saying only 1% of Hispanics hunt has never been to my family’s NM or AZ camp September- December.

I would venture a guess that the numbers are relative to where the majority of the different races live i.e. if you live in a large metro area, you're far less likely to hunt. A larger majority of "minority's" live in densely populated metropolitan areas, thus making hunting a less likely activity.

Or maybe it's just evil white folks keeping the minority people out.....after all who would feel comfortable walking in and around armed whiteys?!

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
Sounds like you want to offended or just didn't read it and comprehend.

The article is a good one with good data and a good message. Minorities don't participate in hunting at a very high rate. Minorities will make up the majority of the population soon. A population unlikely to participate in hunting is not good for the future of hunting. The article also pointed out the lack of participation in general outdoor activities by minorities.

Maybe go pack and read the last part about inclusion.

Or maybe I did not comprehend it.

Not hardly.

Focusing on hunter recruitment of minorities is one thing, but when you ask if an activity is "too" this or that, it has a whole different connotation. And I think it's rather shallow to look at minorities as something 'good' for hunting, as compared to introducing hunting to non-hunters so that they can share in what we consider a valuable experience for THEIR OWN fulfullment. There IS a difference, and hopefully you can see it. What if you learned that your recruitment in an activity was done to help perpetuate that activity, and not because of the value that activity gave to you?

ShakeDown

WKR
I would venture a guess that the numbers are relative to where the majority of the different races live i.e. if you live in a large metro area, you're far less likely to hunt. A larger majority of "minority's" live in densely populated metropolitan areas, thus making hunting a less likely activity.

Or maybe it's just evil white folks keeping the minority people out.....after all who would feel comfortable walking in and around armed whiteys?!

I was most definitely being facetious, because I get the feeling this thread could go South quickly. Too many white folk on this forum.

/ducks head and leaves thread.

(And to those that cannot read my attempt at humor... IT WAS A JOKE.)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
These city people that come up with this stuff don't get out enough. Take an area like the San Luis Valley in Colorado which is a very strong majority of hispanics, and most the families in that valley hunt. And their families have hunted for generations past, longer than most people's ancestors have even been in the U.S.

So do they want to force the people of color that live in the large cities out in the woods so they can get better diversity percentages in the rural areas of America?

Currently, whites make up 61% of the U.S. population; Hispanics, 18%; and blacks, 13%.

Man, one sure wouldn't know this statistic by watching TV, the news, or any other media outlet.

Wrench

WKR
I've been hunting since the late 80's. I've seen exactly 4 black hunters in my life. I've seen more 1968 blue land cruisers with Cooper discover tires than that.

I'd say it's pretty white in my area.

JWP58

WKR
I've been hunting since the late 80's. I've seen exactly 4 black hunters in my life. I've seen more 1968 blue land cruisers with Cooper discover tires than that.

I'd say it's pretty white in my area.

Well meateater inc. thinks that's a very bad thing. I'm guessing there are too many white people hunting, scaring the minority population away.

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
These city people that come up with this stuff don't get out enough. Take an area like the San Luis Valley in Colorado which is a very strong majority of hispanics, and most the families in that valley hunt. And their families have hunted for generations past, longer than most people's ancestors have even been in the U.S.

So do they want to force the people of color that live in the large cities out in the woods so they can get better diversity percentages in the rural areas of America?

Man, one sure wouldn't know this statistic by watching TV, the news, or any other media outlet.

The reductive part of this article is that trying to make a 1:1% representation of population/participants assumes ALL OTHER FACTORS ARE EQUAL! Including, the MOST important one: PREFERENCE! This is absolutely silly, and to claim there is a 'problem' in any way because of the disparity ignores the vast majority of input factors.

Wrench

WKR
Well meateater inc. thinks that's a very bad thing. I'm guessing there are too many white people hunting, scaring the minority population away.

Seems to me this is their problem as non hunters. It would be great to see some cultural change in America and have more hunters. We all know what that means, family time, time away from the city, heirloom guns....nothing bad really.

But at the same time, the opportunity for conflict just gets higher with more people.

I could GAF what anyone thinks demographically, I know what I know based on the mathematical experiences I've had.

Which is probably why I don't live in the city.

Braaap

WKR
The title of the article could be better. The big takeaway is that hunting is declining and the number of minorities is increasing, and those minorities are rarely hunters.

I'm not into the SJW nonsense and I don't think this article falls into that category. I am surprised that they want to discuss this topic though.

I could have picked a better headline

”Is hunting to white?”

Really??? click bait sells 🤷‍♂️

I guess I’m going to have to start offering apologies to all the dudes I said had their tinfoil hats on to tight when they told meateater got bought out by libs and it would change their course.. I’ve followed these guys a long time and see that change more and more as of late... maybe coincidence...I don’t think so anymore

The headline is just clickbait. The article states everything we already know. Hunters are on the decline as more people move to cities. Besides not sure you can get much whiter than Pat Durkin anyways.....

Rob5589

WKR
One of my hunting partners is black, listens to country, hunts and fishes his azz off. Yea, he gets a few odd looks, especially when we are in Afton 😁

Poser

WKR
I grew up in a rural area of SW TN where hunting was a big part of Local black culture, especially small game and rabbit hunting. There’s a certain black owned BBQ joint (that sports Michelin stars) where you will routinely see black hunters come in with deer quarters to be smoked and bags of squirrel to be made for stew. I’m not sure if these meats are for personal consumption, but I suspect that it is for a free, black only menu option.

Anyway, I think much has to do with an area’s demographics: if you live in rural WI, for example, you’ll probably be hard pressed to see a non white hunter. If you live in AZ or rural coastal GA, seeing non white hunters is likely a regular sighting. In some sense, a person who goes to bowling alleys in rural White areas without having visited Detroit or Memphis or Atlanta, might easily conclude that bowling is a “white sport” and be very wrong about that survey.

I would say that there is also the larger consideration of non White participation in outdoor pursuits in general. When is the last time you saw a non White riding a Mtn Bike or Road Bike? Rocking climbing or backpacking? Trail running? Dirtbiking? Recreational horseback riding (even though most “cowboys were Black or Hispanic and still super common in South Louisiana)? Surfing and fishing are the most significant exceptions that come to mind.

There is also a certain perception, and it’s not entirely unfair, that if you hunt, you are too poor to buy food at the grocery store, or you are rich, white, fat and otherwise bored and will spend a lot of money to hunt animals in the most enhanced and narcissistic way possible.

The reality that settles with the dust of all of this is that hunting is more difficult than ever to pursue from scratch if you don’t have the social infrastructure to support it and a Black kid from urban Detroit isn’t any more likely to seek out a hunting mentor than a white kid from the Upper Peninsula is to show up to learn the ins and outs of street basketball in the inner city.

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
A couple posts correctly identify the headline as clickbait. So that’s where we are; meateater has become a social media/ internet platform for the purposes of sustaining itself under the guise of forwarding hunting into the new millennium using the same tactics used to sell hand cream, clothes, and booze.