Mcgowen Barrel Reviews

Ordered a 6CM Savage prefit from them for my wife last month. Looking forward to seeing how it preforms this fall.

Sled

WKR
I received the 20” 1-8 270 Win barrel the other day. It looks great. Threading on both ends look good, direct thread suppressor adaptor threads on nicely, chamber and bore look great. If it headspaces and shoots, I’ll be happy.

I'm glad they fixed those threads for you. How's the barrel shooting?

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
Welp, here is an update.

Got my action and barrel back, six weeks later, not 6 days, it closed on no-go. I have no idea why I checked it. What if didn't have gauges?

Anyway, I thought about for a bit and called my not so local gunsmith. He told me to run it down. I considered the possibility that my gauge had been dropped, so I wanted to double check before I called Mcgowan.

I drove a hour and nine mins to his shop and gave it to one of their smiths. His guys came back out after about fifteen min and confirmed it had excessive headspace, his words, “ it’s dangerous to shoot.” While I was standing there processes the whole thing, the owner asked me if he could look at the barrel. He asked me to look w his flash light at the chamber, it had concentric circles scored in it. He said whoever did the work didn’t clean their reemer after each pass. Lol. He also had me look at my muzzle threads, there was a ding on them. Double lol. He was in disbelief how a barrel could have been shipped in this condition.

I called right after I got in the car for my return trip home, and as things would have it Brian answered, a super nice guy, he immediately offered a refund or spin me up a whole new barrel. At first considered letting them run it again, but after thinking it over I called Brian the next day and told him would just rather have my money back. He told me Dan was out of work do to a sickness and he would have him start the process when he got back.

On Monday, I got an email that said once they got the barrel back w the “ supposed discrepancy” he would refund the money. So I sent him an email w pictures of the chamber, muzzle threads and video of the of it closing on no-go, and a complete retelling of my trip of an hour and nine mins to the closest gunsmith, w his assessment.

This is where it gets fun, I called yesterday, and got Dan. The conversation went south immediately. Dude blamed me, the smith and whoever he could think of for the problem. At one point he said , “we check head space before they leave.” 6 times in row, like a little kid. He legit just kept repeating it.😂😂😂. Keep in mind I’m laid up in bed sick as dog w a fever. The conversation was like a twilight zone episode. My fever is spiking and this crazy dude is lying and accusing me all manor of stuff. One of the funniest exchanges was, he said, “you have no business trying to put the barrel on yourself.” I retorted, y’all installed it w my action.” *crickets* Ya just can’t make this stuff up. He also said my gunsmith was probably just out of school and his had 30 years experience.

The whole experience was like watching a train wreck about to happen while on mushrooms, I’m there watching but it ls not me. My fever is raging and this loon is going nuts on the other end of the line. What he is saying is so bizarre. I don’t know how to respond. And I cant just hang up because something interesting is about to happen. 😂😂😂. I’m trying to process this guy who has utter contempt for the safety of his customers. I’m that customer, but it’s not me. Wild stuff.

ohh, one more gem. He said he was gonna put me in a list, I would be barred from being able to buy barrels from them again. I simple said, “that’s not nice.” 🤦‍♂️ Chooo chooo , all a board the crazy town express,

Last edited:
Welp, here is an update.

Got my action and barrel back, six weeks later, not 6 days, it closed on no-go. I have no idea why I checked it. What if didn't have gauges?

Anyway, I thought about for a bit and called my not so local gunsmith. He told me to run it down. I considered the possibility that my gauge had been dropped, so I wanted to double check before I called Mcgowan.

I drove a hour and nine mins to his shop and gave it to one of their smiths. His guys came back out after about fifteen min and confirmed it had excessive headspace, his words, “ it’s dangerous to shoot.” While I was standing there processes the whole thing, the owner asked me if he could look at the barrel. He asked me to look w his flash light at the chamber, it had concentric circles scored in it. He said whoever did the work didn’t clean their reemer after each pass. Lol. He also had me look at my muzzle threads, there was a ding on them. Double lol. He was in disbelief how a barrel could have been shipped in this condition.

I called right after I got in the car for my return trip home, and as things would have it Brian answered, a super nice guy and immediately offered a refund or spin me up a whole new barrel. At first considered letting them run it again, but after thinking it over I called Brian the next day and told him would just rather have my money back. He told me Dan was out of work do to a sickness and he would have him start the process when he got back.

On Monday, I got an email that said once they got the barrel back w the “ supposed discrepancy” he would refund the money. So I sent him an email w pictures of the chamber, muzzle threads and video of the of it closing on no-go, and a complete retelling of my trip of an hour and nine mins to the closest gunsmith, w his assessment.

This is where it gets fun, I called yesterday, and got Dan. The conversation went south immediately. Dude blamed me, the smith and whoever he could think of for the problem. At one point he said , “we check head space before they leave.” 6 times in row, like a little kid. He legit just kept repeating it.😂😂😂. Keep in mind I’m laid up in bed sick as dog w a fever. The conversation was like a twilight zone episode. My fever is spiking and this crazy dude is lying and accusing me all manor of stuff. One of the funniest exchanges was, he said, “you have no business trying to out the barrel on yourself.” I retorted, y’all installed it w my action.” *crickets* Ya just can’t make this stuff up. He also said my gunsmith was probably just out of school and his had 30 years experience.

The whole experience was like watching a train wreck about to happen while on mushrooms, I’m there watching but it ls not me. My fever is raging and this loon is going nuts on the other end of the line. What he is saying is so bizarre. I don’t know how to respond. And I cant just hang up because something interesting is about to happen. 😂😂😂. I’m trying to process this guy who has utter contempt for the safety of his customers. I’m that customer, but it’s not me. Wild stuff.

ohh, one more gem. He said he was gonna put me in a list, I would be barred from being able to buy barrels from them again. I simple said, “that’s not nice.” 🤦‍♂️ Chooo chooo , all a board the crazy town express,
That is wild!

I'm glad they fixed those threads for you. How's the barrel shooting?
I haven’t shot it yet. The bolt just barely closes on my go gauge, but factory ammo chambers fine. The engraving for caliber etc is almost 180* out, upside down and on the wrong side of the action. Not very confidence inspiring. Need to mount up a scope and see how it shoots.

If had found your post about this particular barrel prior to ordering, I probably wouldn’t have ordered it. But hopefully it shoots, looks like I’m stuck with it regardless. Sounds like all issues would be everyone’s fault but Mcgowans 😂

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
Dan is an a-hole. I'm sure they can't get any good help because of him. Especially if he talks to his employees like he does his customers.

My 6cm shoots great as well. But I had to pay a gunsmith to fix the headspace. I do think they have good barrels, just crappy machine work and customer service.
I agree and I hate dealing with Dan. I have 2 barrels from them now that shoot good. I have one more barrel with them and then I am probably done pressing my luck.

Lil-Rokslider
My 6cm shoots great as well. But I had to pay a gunsmith to fix the headspace. I do think they have good barrels, just crappy machine work and customer service.
My 6 creed barrel shoots great after have the same gunsmith as kswaterfowl fix it. I will never deal with Dan again, buy at your own risk.

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
I’m still stuck at home. I keep cracking up at the exchange I had w Dan the more I think about it. At one point. I suppose it was the fever/sickness, I may or may not have looked around for a dude ready to jump out w a hidden camera. 😂 He is hurling bizarre and incongruous statement, mixed w threats to hang up. You know, a guy jumps out and says “ you’re on candid camera.” it was so surreal.

On a serious note. I’ve dealt with some interesting people over the years, Dan is right up there. Truth be told, I can’t imagine living like he does. Can a person like that have anybody their close to? Can the poor guy have friends? Who would want to subject theirselves to that long term? Fo-realz’, I hate it for him. I’ve prayed and will continue to pray he sees there is a better way.

slowelk

WKR
Based on @Old-Cat and others negative experiences I wouldn't buy a McGowen or a CarbonSix.

I can't recommend PVA enough. Three prefits, three shooters for me. They now offer carbon for the weight weenies too :)

Lil-Rokslider
Based on @Old-Cat and others negative experiences I wouldn't buy a McGowen or a CarbonSix.

I can't recommend PVA enough. Three prefits, three shooters for me. They now offer carbon for the weight weenies too :)
I have two CarbonSix barrels and would not hesitate to buy another one. McGowen makes a good blank, but I would never have them chamber another barrel for me.

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider

Well, to be fair as is said above, my issues have been w their chambering services. As far as the barrel goes I really don't know. Mines not safe to shoot.😂

The one of the many cuckoo things about my experience is my barrel was in better shape the first time I received it as a prefit. Yes it was short chambered and not timed, but the chamber itself and the muzzle threads looked cleaner the first go around? Go figure.