Mcgowen Barrel Reviews

Sled

WKR
They should raise their prices. All the back and forth shipping will get expensive. Might as well factor it in if you don't want to do the job right the first time....or second in my case.

He shouldn’t have to fix it himself. I would call and be polite but firm in you’re expectations and request a return label to ship them the barrel and action. No FFL required when shipping it to the gunsmith and back.

Perhaps they should just start selling short chambered barrels and not advertise them as prefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I emailed them today because I spent all day in the stand but they will definitely be taking care of it on their dime! I got no answer on my email so I will call them and go from there. It’s weird how hit and miss the quality is.

So update on this, I have mailed Dan twice and left one voicemail with all the pertinent info. Zero response at all! I was polite and just explained what was going on and that I would like it resolved. So I started a complaint thingy with PayPal to see if that gets their attention. One thing for damn sure myself and everyone that asks will never do business with this company ever again !

Spook1

FNG
Hopefully they get you taken care of. I just have 1 of their barrels and it is on a lever gun but shoots ok

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
So update on this, I have mailed Dan twice and left one voicemail with all the pertinent info. Zero response at all! I was polite and just explained what was going on and that I would like it resolved. So I started a complaint thingy with PayPal to see if that gets their attention. One thing for damn sure myself and everyone that asks will never do business with this company ever again !
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but your better off taking it to a gunsmith. I paid $80 to have my headspace fixed, and I knew it was going to be correct. My friend sent his to Mcgowen, and it was still wrong when he got it back. I don't even think they did anything to his, because the headspace measured the same.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you’re better off taking it to a gunsmith. I paid $80 to have my headspace fixed, and I knew it was going to be correct. My friend sent his to Mcgowen, and it was still wrong when he got it back. I don't even think they did anything to his, because the headspace measured the same.en
Yeah I am planning on it just so I can get it shooting. Just pisses me off when you pay good money for a product and it isn’t what ya ordered. I even understand things happen, gun smiths have bad days too and things get missed. But atleast take care of the issue. Hell atleast call or email me back, I would take a email telling me to pound sand at this point!

Sled

WKR
Hell atleast call or email me back, I would take a email telling me to pound sand at this point!

You get those over the phone. You also get outlandish excuses and accusations about how it's your fault. I'd encourage you to call him early in the day before he gets busy with all the other complaints. I'm confident you'll get what you're asking for.

You get those over the phone. You also get outlandish excuses and accusations about how it's your fault. I'd encourage you to call him early in the day before he gets busy with all the other complaints. I'm confident you'll get what you're asking for.
He responded to the PayPal complaint in thirty minutes! Said he hasn’t received any messages or calls from me. I uploaded my phone log and emails with date and time stamps . Haven’t heard anything since. Now I just wanna be a pain in his ass just because. Lying sob

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
The sad part is, I would have ordered more from them if there customer service wasn't so horrible. After having to pay a gunsmith to fix the headspace, my barrel shoots really good.

Sled

WKR
The sad part is, I would have ordered more from them if there customer service wasn't so horrible. After having to pay a gunsmith to fix the headspace, my barrel shoots really good.

Simple fix is to buy a blank. Carbon6 uses McGowen blanks but knows how to run a lathe and has great customer service. In a down economy, customer service is how a business lives or dies.

Last edited:

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
Simple fix is to buy a blank. Carbon6 uses McGowen blanks but knows how to run a lathe and has great customer service. Is down economy, customer service is how a business lives or dies.
I actually thought about buying blanks from McGowen and have someone else chamber them, but I refuse to give them another dime.

Sled

WKR
Been a few years, but the couple I got from them were good.

I thought that might have been the case so I specifically asked if they had new employees. Dan said no and that barrels sometimes come out that way. Mine would not thread on the action and the muzzle needed a chase. Both looked choppy and had a strange tail on the thread that could have caused issues. Bottom line was that he did not care about the quality of his work.

Ok so update, I must have hit a nerve because they are refunding my money on PayPal but they still owe me half that I paid with my debit over the phone. If you are going to do business with them I would highly suggest doing it all through PayPal. That was the only way I was getting responses. Has anyone had good luck with preferred barrels?

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
Ok so update, I must have hit a nerve because they are refunding my money on PayPal but they still owe me half that I paid with my debit over the phone. If you are going to do business with them I would highly suggest doing it all through PayPal. That was the only way I was getting responses. Has anyone had good luck with preferred barrels?
I just ordered 2 barrels from them on black Friday. Hopefully they are better to deal with than mcgowen.

After my experience(s) with McGowan, I went to X-Caliber for my next barrel and had zero issues whatsoever.