Mcgowen Barrel Reviews

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
Talley up two more mcgowen barrels with headspace issues. A friend of mine and I both bought 6 creed prefits from mcgowen, and both close easily on no go gauges. I called them and they told me to take it to my gunsmith. And they threw a fit because my friend asked for a return label to send it back to have it fixed. They said they would send him one, but he still hasn't received it.

Talley up two more mcgowen barrels with headspace issues. A friend of mine and I both bought 6 creed prefits from mcgowen, and both close easily on no go gauges. I called them and they told me to take it to my gunsmith. And they threw a fit because my friend asked for a return label to send it back to have it fixed. They said they would send him one, but he still hasn't received it.

If you don't mind me asking, what actions were your prefits for?

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I was thinking about going that route, which is why I asked.
It wouldn't have been a big deal to me if they were willing to fix it, and not be a complete a$$. I would highly suggest looking elsewhere. My next one will probably be from preferred barrels or patriot valley.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
I guess I was pretty lucky then. They fixed mine pretty quick. I started a thread, and replied to an older thread, regarding Preferred Barrels. The recent feedback has been a lot more positive. I am going to buy a 22 Creed from them.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/preferred-barrel-tikka-prefit-experiences.285041/

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
Im surprised they were willing to fix it. He didnt even offer to fix mine. From what I've seen lately it looks like preferred has worked the bugs out, and producing good barrels.

Sled

WKR
I’ve got one. It shoots well considering I chambered it myself. They cannot follow directions when you order a barrel. In my case the fluting didn’t end as specified, in others they blow the contour dimensions. The service after sale was dismal. I won’t order another one but I certainly cannot say that it’s a bad shooter.

I have had 2 bad experiences with them. When I ordered a 270wsm and got a 270win I called to let them know what happened and I got a rude response that it was how I ordered it and that's what I got. I then reminded him that I was looking at my order confirmation email that clearly stated WSM. Dan gruffly said to send it back and he'd take care of it. I pressed my luck and asked for him to please check the threading before the new one ships out because it was pretty rough. Long story short, the next one was worse and he gave me a story that they sometimes just come out that way. To his credit, after much defensive posturing he gave me a full refund. It's been more than a year and they're both still available on their site:

If you do choose the WSM, the tennon threads are rough and won't spin on an action without a wrench. The muzzle end was pretty rough too.

Edit: on further inspection it seems someone else rejected the WSM barrel too. It was re-cerakoted to armor black from cobalt.

Sled

WKR
I got a prefit from Mcgowen. Had the barrel threaded 5/8x24. I couldn't make up my suppressor or a muzzle brake to it. They would thread on about halfway and lock up. I talked to McGowen and Dan said the CNC probably cut it to shallow. I had to ship it back on my dime. The barrel was there for a few days before I got a call from Dan saying nothing was wrong with it.

He said I was probably trying to install something with 1/2x28 threads. After I explained again that it would thread on part way and asked how something 1/2x28 would make up about 0.25" on something threaded 5/8x24, he said he would have them check again.

I got it back yesterday. The packing slip said multiple people checked it. And it's crazy but now everything makes up fine.

I'm disappointed/irritated about a few things.
1. Dan said the CNC probably cut it to shallow when I first told him my issue. Yet I had to ship it back on my dime.

2. They had the barrel for a few days before they even tried to screw on a thread protector. I mean how hard is it to check?

And 3rd I know for a fact they had to of done something. Yet according to McGowen nothing was wrong. Whether the shop hand fixed it and told Dan nothing was wrong or Dan is lying to me I'm not sure. I just know I tried multiple times and the suppressor and brake kept locking up in almost the same place. Yet after I get it back the suppressor threaded on fine first try.

In my opinion which is worth very little since I'm not a machinist. It seemed to me that when they knocked the point of the thread down so it's not sharp, there were tiny balls of metal still connected to the threads. The threads didn't feel smooth. I should have taken a pic and zoomed in but I didn't. Now I don't see the metal and the threads don't feel as rough.

I still have pics of mine. Probably looked like yours

z987k

WKR
Well I was going to order a Mcgowen for the next build, but I'm reading way too many problems to bother.

Lil-Rokslider
I am the friend with the other 6 Creed Tikka prefit. Dan was a complete A$$ when I called him about the return label he promised me last Thursday. My headspace was .0055" past a go gauge. Dan said this is why they recommend that a qualified gunsmith should install their barrels, not someone doing them in theri kitchen or garage. I told him the pre-fit means no gunsmithing required and the other 7 Tikka barrels I have all interchange. He pretty much said he wouldn't discuss it any more.

Lil-Rokslider
I have an issue and have to send a barrel back. It’s their problem. They said it was probably because of their machining. But I have to ship it back on my dime. They’ll “take a look at it”.

Kinda pisses me off.
They told me to ship mine back and they would fix it. I told them I already paid for shipping once, it is on them this time. That's when I became the problem. Their customer service sucks so far. I finally got a shipping label late yesterday, hopefully they get it turned around fairly quick.

Last edited:

gbflyer

WKR
I am amazed that any of the barrel builders have the confidence in someone else’s receiver, especially one that is mass produced, to supply a shouldered pre-fit. Any that do better have a pre-printed return label in the box and smile when someone has a problem. Like someone mentioned above, if they sell it as such, it better work.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I am amazed that any of the barrel builders have the confidence in someone else’s receiver, especially one that is mass produced, to supply a shouldered pre-fit. Any that do better have a pre-printed return label in the box and smile when someone has a problem. Like someone mentioned above, if they sell it as such, it better work.
Almost all barrel manufacturers provide prefits now.

slowelk

WKR
I'd expect increased frequency of issues with McGowen. I'm guessing they are not prepared for the increase in demand that they've experienced.

slowelk

WKR
Eventually he won't have to worry about much demand the way he treats his customers.

Yes, those things can certainly fix themselves.

LRI is one that quickly figured out how to scale and keep their quality. I wish they contoured and threaded prefits!

Patriot valley has been great too. I have two of their shouldered Tikka prefits and both headspaced perfectly and are shooters. Their lightest contour (Bartlein 3B) is heavy for a hunting rig though. On my next I may inquire about a lighter contour with a muzzle flare.

Last edited:

Lil-Rokslider
LRI is making replacement bolts for Tikka actions. That in itself tells me that Tikka has very repeatable and close tolerances.

Beaverdog

FNG
+1 on the incorrect headspacing. 6 creedmoor on a tikka action. i ended up renting a hand reamer from 4d reamer rentals and finishing it myself.

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the incorrect headspacing. 6 creedmoor on a tikka action. i ended up renting a hand reamer from 4d reamer rentals and finishing it myself.
Mine is reamed too deep. They need to take about .003" off the shoulder to fix it.