Mcgowen Barrel Reviews

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Yeah, thats what I had bought. Weird they wouldnt use the same blank for all the 300's.

I agree that they should use a 1-10” at a minimum, however, what bullet do you want to shoot that won’t stabilize in the 1-11”?

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
Preferred offers a "Lite" contour which they said is a copy of the Tikka Lite Contour. I was debating about getting a .22 creedmoor barrel from them. They only offer their 22 Cal's in 3R twists. I read somewhere that the 3 grooves can cause problems with bullet blow ups in fast twists? Not sure if that is true?

My gunsmith had good things to say about the X-Caliber blanks.

Jimbee

WKR
I also sent a picture to McGowen of my brass from a prefit chamber. Crickets for 2 weeks now. They were also less than helpful when I called with some questions prior to ordering. Both prefit McGowens I've use have been very accurate. That being said I recently helped order 2 prefits from Preferred Barrels. Their customer service was WAYYY better. If the barrels are as good and I won't order from mcgowen again.
You ever get a response? I didn't. My barrel is at a local gunsmith currently.

Tullis94

WKR
I never did either. The rifle shoots really well so I'm not going to worry about it. I won't buy another one though.

Jimbee

WKR
I never did either. The rifle shoots really well so I'm not going to worry about it. I won't buy another one though.
Mine shoots fine also. I'm not going to throw a fit, but I probably won't order from them again.

rootacres

WKR
I had a 7 WSM barrel from them. I fought it a little bit to get to a sub MOA load. I bought this barrel because the Proof I really wanted at the time was going to take too long to get. I shot a bull with the McGowan. I got home, listed the barrel and ordered a Proof. I now have a 22" 7 SAUM that's 1/2 MOA when I do might part. With all the viable options out there why order another barrel from McGowen (if you're going to order another new barrel)?

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
Yeah. I am definitely on the fence with the Mcgowen as time goes on and I get more responses.
My gunsmith said he likes "X-Caliber" blanks. They don't seem like they are too outrageous price wise. Part of my problem is I am a cheap a**, and I need to learn when to fork out extra money.

z987k

WKR
Ya, I was going to order a McGowan on the next rifle, but I'm really not sure now.

I have been playing with different loads in mine now over the past few weeks and it shoots most loads under an inch. I can't complain.

I was wondering what you guys have experienced with Mcgowen barrels.

I bought a 7 SAUM from them. My load development with 162’s resulted in 3-shot groups that were over 2”.

I tried 184’s and ended up with 3 shot groups that were barely under an inch.

I had expected better performance from a “custom” barrel. However, my expectations may be unrealistic.

I would like to hear some others guys experiences lately, because I am debating about ordering another barrel from them.
Meh.

Try X-Caliber. ;)

Tullis94

WKR
Ya, I was going to order a McGowan on the next rifle, but I'm really not sure now.
I cannot complain about the barrel itself. It has been very accurate. Actually it has probably been the easiest load development I've ever done. It is the customer service that I am not happy with. Dan, the guy that answers the phone and emails hasn't been helpful at all in my experiences with him.

I cannot complain about the barrel itself. It has been very accurate. Actually it has probably been the easiest load development I've ever done. It is the customer service that I am not happy with. Dan, the guy that answers the phone and emails hasn't been helpful at all in my experiences with him.
Yeah, I'm very satisfied with the accuracy and workmanship on my barrel, also. But I have do agree with your assessment of Dan. He is not very personable or helpful, and probably isn't the best fit for his position.

I got a prefit from Mcgowen. Had the barrel threaded 5/8x24. I couldn't make up my suppressor or a muzzle brake to it. They would thread on about halfway and lock up. I talked to McGowen and Dan said the CNC probably cut it to shallow. I had to ship it back on my dime. The barrel was there for a few days before I got a call from Dan saying nothing was wrong with it.

He said I was probably trying to install something with 1/2x28 threads. After I explained again that it would thread on part way and asked how something 1/2x28 would make up about 0.25" on something threaded 5/8x24, he said he would have them check again.

I got it back yesterday. The packing slip said multiple people checked it. And it's crazy but now everything makes up fine.

I'm disappointed/irritated about a few things.
1. Dan said the CNC probably cut it to shallow when I first told him my issue. Yet I had to ship it back on my dime.

2. They had the barrel for a few days before they even tried to screw on a thread protector. I mean how hard is it to check?

And 3rd I know for a fact they had to of done something. Yet according to McGowen nothing was wrong. Whether the shop hand fixed it and told Dan nothing was wrong or Dan is lying to me I'm not sure. I just know I tried multiple times and the suppressor and brake kept locking up in almost the same place. Yet after I get it back the suppressor threaded on fine first try.

In my opinion which is worth very little since I'm not a machinist. It seemed to me that when they knocked the point of the thread down so it's not sharp, there were tiny balls of metal still connected to the threads. The threads didn't feel smooth. I should have taken a pic and zoomed in but I didn't. Now I don't see the metal and the threads don't feel as rough.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
Now that you mention the threading, I remembered I had issues with my threaded muzzle as well. I asked for 1/2x28 threads. I was unable to get several 1/2x28 muzzle brakes to work. I actually ended up having my smith chop it and rethread it. That was after sending it back once to Mcgowen because the barrel didn't headspace properly.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
Now that I think about just the issues I had with headspace and the barrel threading for a muzzle brake, on top of all your guys issues, I am going to go a different route this time.