Maybe the Idaho NR System isn't so Unfair

OP
IdahoBeav

IdahoBeav

WKR
12% have gotten a tag every year, which is sizable and very vocal in opposition to changing the system.

I would personally lean towards a draw but Idaho is the absolute worst. I might understand it if there wasn't 49 other states that do it better. Idaho could incorporate any of those systems and be light years ahead of thier current cluster.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk
And 63% got tags only one year of the four.

I was not aware that 49 other states offer general capped NR tags for mule deer and elk.

Lawnboi

WKR
Nobody thinks it takes 100 laptops, except for people who don't know better. It only takes 1 to have tons of spots in line FYI.

Luck is not a factor and has nothing to do with the fairness of a draw.
This is exactly why it’s a load of crap. You have a single person taking up hundreds of places in line cause he can sit on a computer and has tech smarts.

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
If they would keep people from getting a tag every year, say every 3 years ,it would be easier for the people that have not had a chance yet. Three years would keep 36000 or so people out of the waiting room.

They need to clean up the bots/multiple logins/proxy purchases.

If they could do that, the system is not so bad.

Number 10,000 in line? Maybe you pick up a whitetail tag this year instead of a very popular mule deer unit. Or, you say no thanks.

Personally have been able to get tags 2/2 years, so have buddies, without being in person or cheating. We are just realistic and pick lower demand units….same strategy as being able to have a tag every year in draw states.

Archer86

WKR
I think at a minimum they should make nr choose, you get a general tag or you get to apply for limited quota but you don't get both. If they keep the current system

Chad E

WKR
I think the concept of the current system works fine. I actually prefer having options compared to a draw with one or two choices. That being said all the loop holes need to be fixed. A significant portion of them could be totally solved by online only sales(eliminating the pay to play retailers, the outfitters dropping 10k when they already have set aside tags etc)and requiring a login to enter the que (eliminating all the bots, proxy and multiple devices). Allowing two tags to be purchased for each spot in line so guys could have a partner would also eliminate one of the main gripes.

OP
IdahoBeav

IdahoBeav

WKR
Taxes, death, and guys whining about state F&G depts on Rokslide

The thread OP is just factual information showing that a widely-held belief involving tag distribution is not true.

I'm not against a draw for the NR tags, and I'm not an advocate for the current system, but consider this. Under the current system, you are out $0 if you don't get a tag. A draw is pay to play, whether it's the $195 + $18 app/species, or it's a new special reduced license fee or increased app-only fee, other state's fees indicate that you'll be spending over $100 just to enter the draw.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

j_volt

WKR
Taxes, death, and guys whining about state F&G depts on Rokslide

The thread OP is just factual information showing that a widely-held belief involving tag distribution is not true.

I'm not against a draw for the NR tags, and I'm not an advocate for the current system, but consider this. Under the current system, you are out $0 if you don't get a tag. A draw is pay to play, whether it's the $195 + $18 app/species, or it's a new special reduced license fee or increased app-only fee, other state's fees indicate that you'll be spending over $100 just to enter the draw.

Thanks for sharing it, but I think many readers interpret that data differently than you do. No one thinks EVERY tag is going to the same people every year. People think that a select handful of tags (let’s say about 12% of them) are going to the same people every year. That’s the problem.

I don’t believe that there is a strong chance I’ll draw a Diamond Creek elk tag if the system changes, but at least I will have a chance (which is not the case now).

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
That is a lot of speculation. However, if we take it at face value, it's still a very small % of people that were able to do it in each of the last 4 years.

Yes. The people that cheat. They are screwing the rest of us. You should have to log into YOUR portal to get in line. ONE chance not hundreds. In person you should be able to buy your tag and maybe an immediate family member or two.

Idaboy

WKR
Comments aside...would you expect any different data?....it's seems quite useless data, other than its difficult to get a tag with each consecutive year....yes many people try to use multiple log in, have someone buy for them, pay guides/people under the table to get in line etc,.....but I guess I am missing the point, conspiracy theories aside.

Yes. The people that cheat. They are screwing the rest of us. You should have to log into YOUR portal to get in line. ONE chance not hundreds. In person you should be able to buy your tag and maybe an immediate family member or two.
This... seems like having to log in to YOUR portal, and only allowing one, would clean up a lot quickly.

ez_willie

WKR
Thanks for sharing it, but I think many readers interpret that data differently than you do. No one thinks EVERY tag is going to the same people every year. People think that a select handful of tags (let’s say about 12% of them) are going to the same people every year. That’s the problem.

I don’t believe that there is a strong chance I’ll draw a Diamond Creek elk tag if the system changes, but at least I will have a chance (which is not the case now).
Exactly. It’s annoying logging into 50 browsers and still not getting a number under 2k when you needed a number under 200 online to have a chance at a DC tag. I’m not paying an outfitter $3500+ just for the tag and I keep getting outbid by outfitters to get first in line at vendors.

OP
IdahoBeav

IdahoBeav

WKR
Exactly. It’s annoying logging into 50 browsers and still not getting a number under 2k when you needed a number under 200 online to have a chance at a DC tag. I’m not paying an outfitter $3500+ just for the tag and I keep getting outbid by outfitters to get first in line at vendors.
50 browsers? So, you're "cheating", too?

ez_willie

WKR
50 browsers? So, you're "cheating", too?

If you ain’t cheatin you ain’t trying. A few short years ago they made you log in to get in que, why not any more? Just give the outfitters all the tags/welfare they need like every other state and make it fair for the rest of us that want to hunt on our own.

I was 1850 this past winter and by the time I was through the queue there were 10 elk zones already out of A tags. Blew my mind.