Maybe the Idaho NR System isn't so Unfair

OP
IdahoBeav

IdahoBeav

WKR
I disagree.

There are too many way to tip the scales in the current state. Make it a real draw. I won't find that unfair if I do not draw knowing I had the same chance as everyone else.
Very few of successful tag purchasers have a better chance than you, and a random draw is not fair. Some will have great luck, and others will never get a tag. With the current system, you have the opportunity to travel and try for an in-person sale, which greatly increases your odds.

I think people are confusing "unfair" with "frustrating", and the system certainly is frustrating.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
likely one of the veryyy few who has bought a nonresident Idaho elk tag for 30 consecutive years and over 10 yrs had two tags. That is all I have to say about it🤣

OP
IdahoBeav

IdahoBeav

WKR
likely one of the veryyy few who has bought a nonresident Idaho elk tag for 30 consecutive years and over 10 yrs had two tags.
How do you store the 100 laptops that you log in with?

j_volt

WKR
Very few of successful tag purchasers have a better chance than you, and a random draw is not fair. Some will have great luck, and others will never get a tag. With the current system, you have the opportunity to travel and try for an in-person sale, which greatly increases your odds.

I think people are confusing "unfair" with "frustrating", and the system certainly is frustrating.
How is a random draw not fair?

Perhaps the state of Idaho should just hide the tags on public land and you have to go find them.

180ls1

WKR
How do you store the 100 laptops that you log in with?

Nobody thinks it takes 100 laptops, except for people who don't know better. It only takes 1 to have tons of spots in line FYI.

Luck is not a factor and has nothing to do with the fairness of a draw.

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
The problem with their system is is you can’t guarantee tags with a buddy. Hunting has always been a social event and they make it almost impossible

180ls1

WKR
I would like to see those stats displayed in the most sought after elk zones. Not all tags are created equal.

Exactly.

This is likely where the greatest discrepancy and corruption is. Not with the mass lower quality tags that never sold out until a few years ago.

OP
IdahoBeav

IdahoBeav

WKR
Idaho has a completely random controlled hunt process for residents. Some people draw a trophy tag multiple times. Other people go 20 years without getting the tag. They both desire the tag equally. One guy gets it multiple times, the other never. That is not the definition of fair.

180ls1

WKR
Idaho has a completely random controlled hunt process for residents. Some people draw a trophy tag multiple times. Other people go 20 years without getting the tag. They both desire the tag equally. One guy gets it multiple times, the other never. That is not the definition of fair.

So that totally random system is "not fair" but the system with known corruption (proxy, inside buyers) "isn't so unfair?"

Got it, lol.

OP
IdahoBeav

IdahoBeav

WKR
I would like to see those stats displayed in the most sought after elk zones. Not all tags are created equal.
How is IDFG supposed to know what tags the hopeful buyers are targeting? A survey popup after login? Most people have a plan B or even plan C tag in mind.

OP
IdahoBeav

IdahoBeav

WKR
So that totally random system is "not fair" but the system with known corruption (proxy, inside buyers) "isn't so unfair?"

Got it, lol.
There isn't a fair and unfair. It's on a spectrum. Life isn't fair, but the Idaho NR OTC tags are spread out pretty well. There aren't a lot of guys getting it every or even most years.

541hunter

WKR
It appears we are confusing what is fair and what is equitable. A random draw is the definition of fair in which everyone has the same odds. The draw being equitable would recognize that some people have worse “luck than others” and somehow compensate for that in a way that ensures people who have not drawn have better odds like a point system.

I am not advocating for anything here just merely point out an observation.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
12% have gotten a tag every year, which is sizable and very vocal in opposition to changing the system.

I would personally lean towards a draw but Idaho is the absolute worst. I might understand it if there wasn't 49 other states that do it better. Idaho could incorporate any of those systems and be light years ahead of thier current cluster.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

OP
IdahoBeav

IdahoBeav

WKR
My point is that you say this is working based on the data but don’t have any points of comparison.
I never said that it's "working", only that it is doing a good job at distributing the tags fairly in terms of repeat hunters receiving tags over the last 4 years. The consensus seems to be that it's mostly proximity residents and buddy-buyers that are getting most of the tags. This is not the case.

As for years prior to 2021, there are other factors that come into play. Some of these include an extreme increase in demand, unit specific deer tags, and a new computer system for sales. You can't compare numbers from 2016, 2008, etc. with the last 4 years. It would be impossible to get similar results given the change in demand alone.

elkliver

WKR
There is already a Draw whether they want to call it that or not. It's just not a very well run Draw and there are methods of cheating the Draw. and then the Draw system crashes. Refusing to admit they have created a very poorly run system that turns an OTC tag into a Draw system is laughable. Or I guess technically, parts of it are OTC and parts are Draw depending on how you try and buy your tag although even if buying in person, you may be standing behind the person purchasing 50 tags. And for most, you have the issue of zero chance of hunting as a party.