Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44 new model

Duh

WKR
Anyone know when these are coming back in stock for the Mil version? I just went on the website and can’t even sign up for in stock notifications.

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
Would we expect the RS3.2 to have a similar durability to the RS1.2? I would assume so but curious if anyone knows better than I do.

I like that the parallax is a bit stiff. Keeps it from ghost turning. Usually find a sweet range on my scopes and let it be unless I'm going over 10x and 1k+ yds.

But, I do have man, or more specifically - working man - hands.

Last edited:

GoatPackr

WKR
Where are you guys buying this scope. Is it Maven direct only or is it something available through vendors?

Kris

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
Would we expect the RS3.2 to have a similar durability to the RS1.2? I would assume so but curious if anyone knows better than I do.
From what I’ve heard is that Maven says all their scopes are held to the same quality standards even though RS 1.2 is definitely more robust than their other lines. I was curious as well if the RS 3.2 got the same upgrades that the RS 1.2 got. Hopefully Form will get one in his hands soon

Unckebob

WKR
My first question is how visible is the reticle at lower magnifications against a busy background.

My first question is how visible is the reticle at lower magnifications against a busy background.
It's very good. The light to heavy reticle line at 5 mils in all directions from center gives it a quick aim center box at low X. And it's lit; not necessary for function at low X with this reticle, but there if you like it.

SouthPaw

WKR
Its excellent at low power in all field conditions I've encountered thus far.

five bull elk at 780 yards, freezing misting rain, 6x mag (rifle/phone is leaning):

elk 750yds 6x.jpg

Same, at 12x:

elk 750yds 12x.jpg

FWIW, on that hunt I slipped and fell while hiking downhill with rifle in hand. The entire weight of my upper body braced by the scope ocular and windage on a slope. Kept hunting, killed an elk at 275 yards 3 days later, packed out and drove home 800+ miles then checked zero:

rs1 zero check.jpg

After hunting and shooting a bunch with this scope, I hope Maven puts this same reticle in a 2.5-10, 3-9, or similar without the illumination/parallax knob in a shorter package to cut weight to 20-21oz. The tool-less turrets, zero-stop, capped windage, short throw knob, are all well executed features. It would be the perfect hunting scope IMO.

After hunting and shooting a bunch with this scope, I hope Maven puts this same reticle in a 2.5-10, 3-9, or similar without the illumination/parallax knob in a shorter package to cut weight to 20-21oz. The tool-less turrets, zero-stop, capped windage, short throw knob, are all well executed features. It would be the perfect hunting scope IMO.

This^^^. Come on Maven, make it happen!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Well... I've been a bit more absent from Rokslide than normal the past 2 or 3 months. Between family, work, activities, scouting/camping, hunting, and shooting I haven't had much in the way of free time since the holidays. I do have a pretty hefty update on two of the RS1.2 scopes that I've been using exclusively on my Tikkas...

My Tikka .223 and Tikka .260 both use the RS1.2 MIL variant with the SHR MIL reticle. They are both mounted with UM Tikka rings onto a Stockys VG2 stock. High Desert bottom metal and factory trigger springs backed all the way out. Action screws are torqued to 65" lbs and ring caps/bases are torqued to 5" lbs over UM posted specs. Blue Loctite is used for ALL screws as well. Barrels are completely free floated as they are Sendero barrel channel stocks with factory Tikka barrels. Recoil lugs have been Loctited in and tapped in with a hammer. I've done my best to eliminate as many variables as possible on the rifles.

I hit a "trip" counter on both my Jeep and truck and have been keeping track of the amount of miles the rifles/scopes have spent riding in the back seat of both vehicles.

They have been in the Jeep backseat area for a total of 2,450 miles which is mostly farm field roads, county maintained roads, desert roads, washes, and rough country on off road trails to access canyons/mountains etc. I do a lot of scouting/camping and tons of shooting days out in the Jeep. Both rifles are used on those trips, as lots of shots are taken at predators and varmints. I also do a lot of long range/quick target acquisition practice while out in the desert/canyons/mountains. The Jeep is great in that both rifle butt stocks can be wedged into the back/bottom of the drivers seats wth the fore-ends wedging into the back seat. Usually my backpack is laying underneath to also help support the forened and part of the barrels. It takes a decent tug to get them loose but they are able to ride like this with no issue...

Jeep Seat.jpg

They have ridden in the backseat of the truck a total of 6,750 miles and have been in and out of the following states... Mexico, Arizona, New Mexico, California, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, and Minnesota. The rifles are along for all of the trips which has been a mix of work travel and travel for shooting/scouting. This is mostly highway miles for the truck, but probably 15% of the miles are on forest service roads and private ranch roads (bumpy). In the truck they normally ride with a vest/jacket combo underneath and then are normally each covered in a jacket or sleeping bag/blanket of some kind. When on the forest service and ranch roads the cover jackets comes off for quick access and shots on predators and varmints etc. they sit like this basically...

truck seat.jpg

In general I am quite nice to my gear but shit does happen when they are used often. There have been dozens of light knocks and bangs but I have done ZERO in the way of any real "drop testing". I leave that to folks who know what they are doing in that realm. Both rifles/scopes have fallen on the side of the scope from bipod height multiple times. The worst knock being when a young hunter bumped it over onto a rock off the bipod straight onto the turret. They've been in all sorts of weather and different terrains/elevations etc. Shots and kills/target hits from 10 yards to 1,300 yards with both rifles and all yardages in between. A total of roughly 3,500 rounds out of the .223 and 2,500 out of the .260 (based on ammo inventory stacks in my gun room depleting).

I'm mostly posting this all to say the following...

I have not once made any horizonal or vertical corrections to the "zero" of either scope. After thousands of miles in vehicles, thousands of dead critters (the .223 killed 400 ground squirrels on one ranch in Northern California in one day alone), dozens and dozens of "zero checks", dialing to unknown amounts of vertical MIL clicks, zooming in and out countless turns, the list goes on... I haven't had to mess with these scopes or rifles one bit.

Thanks to all the testers here and to @Formidilosus for posting his results in the running Q&A thread for this model scope. So far so good for me personally, let's hope it continues!

Dobermann

WKR
Well... I've been a bit more absent from Rokslide than normal the past 2 or 3 months. Between family, work, activities, scouting/camping, hunting, and shooting I haven't had much in the way of free time since the holidays. I do have a pretty hefty update on two of the RS1.2 scopes that I've been using exclusively on my Tikkas...

My Tikka .223 and Tikka .260 both use the RS1.2 MIL variant with the SHR MIL reticle. They are both mounted with UM Tikka rings onto a Stockys VG2 stock. High Desert bottom metal and factory trigger springs backed all the way out. Action screws are torqued to 65" lbs and ring caps/bases are torqued to 5" lbs over UM posted specs. Blue Loctite is used for ALL screws as well. Barrels are completely free floated as they are Sendero barrel channel stocks with factory Tikka barrels. Recoil lugs have been Loctited in and tapped in with a hammer. I've done my best to eliminate as many variables as possible on the rifles.

I hit a "trip" counter on both my Jeep and truck and have been keeping track of the amount of miles the rifles/scopes have spent riding in the back seat of both vehicles.

They have been in the Jeep backseat area for a total of 2,450 miles which is mostly farm field roads, county maintained roads, desert roads, washes, and rough country on off road trails to access canyons/mountains etc. I do a lot of scouting/camping and tons of shooting days out in the Jeep. Both rifles are used on those trips, as lots of shots are taken at predators and varmints. I also do a lot of long range/quick target acquisition practice while out in the desert/canyons/mountains. The Jeep is great in that both rifle butt stocks can be wedged into the back/bottom of the drivers seats wth the fore-ends wedging into the back seat. Usually my backpack is laying underneath to also help support the forened and part of the barrels. It takes a decent tug to get them loose but they are able to ride like this with no issue...

View attachment 697020

They have ridden in the backseat of the truck a total of 6,750 miles and have been in and out of the following states... Mexico, Arizona, New Mexico, California, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, and Minnesota. The rifles are along for all of the trips which has been a mix of work travel and travel for shooting/scouting. This is mostly highway miles for the truck, but probably 15% of the miles are on forest service roads and private ranch roads (bumpy). In the truck they normally ride with a vest/jacket combo underneath and then are normally each covered in a jacket or sleeping bag/blanket of some kind. When on the forest service and ranch roads the cover jackets comes off for quick access and shots on predators and varmints etc. they sit like this basically...

View attachment 697021

In general I am quite nice to my gear but shit does happen when they are used often. There have been dozens of light knocks and bangs but I have done ZERO in the way of any real "drop testing". I leave that to folks who know what they are doing in that realm. Both rifles/scopes have fallen on the side of the scope from bipod height multiple times. The worst knock being when a young hunter bumped it over onto a rock off the bipod straight onto the turret. They've been in all sorts of weather and different terrains/elevations etc. Shots and kills/target hits from 10 yards to 1,300 yards with both rifles and all yardages in between. A total of roughly 3,500 rounds out of the .223 and 2,500 out of the .260 (based on ammo inventory stacks in my gun room depleting).

I'm mostly posting this all to say the following...

I have not once made any horizonal or vertical corrections to the "zero" of either scope. After thousands of miles in vehicles, thousands of dead critters (the .223 killed 400 ground squirrels on one ranch in Northern California in one day alone), dozens and dozens of "zero checks", dialing to unknown amounts of vertical MIL clicks, zooming in and out countless turns, the list goes on... I haven't had to mess with these scopes or rifles one bit.

Thanks to all the testers here and to @Formidilosus for posting his results in the running Q&A thread for this model scope. So far so good for me personally, let's hope it continues!
This is one of my favourite Rokslide posts all year.

Don't show Form those photos of the rifles, though - he might suggest you're babying them ...

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
This is one of my favourite Rokslide posts all year.

Don't show Form those photos of the rifles, though - he might suggest you're babying them ...
I took off the old vet wrap, wiped them down, and reapplied new vet wrap for the photos not gonna lie. Gotta keep em looking and feeling fresh, plus the vet wrap gets pretty nasty after a few weeks.

Dobermann

WKR
I took off the old vet wrap, wiped them down, and reapplied new vet wrap for the photos not gonna lie. Gotta keep em looking and feeling fresh, plus the vet wrap gets pretty nasty after a few weeks.
I wasn't meaning so much how they looked, but that they'd ridden on soft seats with padding around them, instead of in a truck bed with tools and other crap dumped on top! :)

I’m having frequent issues with casings bouncing off the knurling on the windage cap and back into the action. Even with UM high tikka rings. Issue seems to go away with the cap removed. Anyone replaced the cap with something low profile and smooth?

Juan_ID

WKR
I’m having frequent issues with casings bouncing off the knurling on the windage cap and back into the action. Even with UM high tikka rings. Issue seems to go away with the cap removed. Anyone replaced the cap with something low profile and smooth?
What caliber? I’ve not had that happen while shooting with t084’s on 223 or 6.5. Maybe you could sand the knurling off to get the clearance you need?