Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44 new model

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
Ah, it was in the "terms and conditions". Maybe not really necessary? I just follow instructions :)

1703636871113.png

Thanks for the tips. I'll probably just get multiple cards to cover the full cost and watch it like a hawk tomorrow.

I sold a beautiful rifle to get this scope, so I'm motivated to stay glued to their site so I can get a good discount haha

khuber84

WKR
I do like the scope, 0.1 mil dot is good by me for hunting, but wish it had more resolution in the horizontal wind hold subtension, 1/4 mil would be more precise rather than bracketing with 1/2 mil hashes. It'll work regardless, I'm just used to 0.2 mil stadia lines with my long range mil scopes.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I do like the scope, 0.1 mil dot is good by me for hunting, but wish it had more resolution in the horizontal wind hold subtension, 1/4 mil would be more precise rather than bracketing with 1/2 mil hashes. It'll work regardless, I'm just used to 0.2 mil stadia lines with my long range mil scopes.

.25 mils sucks. It’s breaks the bases ten system of mils and starts having the same issues that MOA does. Not only that it just adds more lines for no real gain. .5 mil is extremely simple and easy for even beginners to break down into .1 mil visually. No one is holding .05 mil increments.

khuber84

WKR
.25 mils sucks. It’s breaks the bases ten system of mils and starts having the same issues that MOA does. Not only that it just adds more lines for no real gain. .5 mil is extremely simple and easy for even beginners to break down into .1 mil visually. No one is holding .05 mil increments.
Quarter is def out the base 10 scale. I've shot mostly 0.2 mil hold scopes in competition and had no issues runnig the Mk5hd pr2 with 1/4 mil for a season, but sold it due to other reasons. If a guy is trying to hold 0.7 to 0.8 mil on an animal at 600y in a 9mph full value wind, how's he going to aim? Bracket the aim point mid way between 0.5 and 1 mil hashes. Wouldnt a 1/4 mil hash in there make a precise aim point? Or just run a locking windage turret and dial it out if you have the time. I don't shoot the volume you do, and realize and accept that everyone has different needs wants preferences in their system. I myself, would like a bit more resolution for wind holds. I just acquired a second hand Apex hunter 3-15, which has 1/4 mil hash, but also has a 1/4 mil center dot which is 0.9" at 100y, larger than I want. We will see how this scope does. I'll put it on a known accurate rig and do some tracking, rtz, and drop testing.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
If a guy is trying to hold 0.7 to 0.8 mil on an animal at 600y in a 9mph full value wind, how's he going to aim? Bracket the aim point mid way between 0.5 and 1 mil hashes.

Visually interpolating between two known points is a basic human skill. Draw two large lines side by size and a smaller one in the middle. The lift is zero, the middle is .5 and the right is 1. Everyone can immediately point out where .7 or .8 is located.

Wouldnt a 1/4 mil hash in there make a precise aim point?

Sort of. It’s also introduces a variable - quarters in a tenth based system. .1, .2, .5, or 1.0 mils are the only increments you want in a mil reticle. .1 is way to fine. .2 is fine for very high magnification scopes, it is not needed for hunting at all. .5 mil gives a very clean, open reticle that can easily be broken down to .1 mil visually. 1 mil increments are usable, but is a bit corse. With 1 mil increments, it’s very easy to judge within .2 mil, and .1 is possible with a bit of practice.

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
Quarter is def out the base 10 scale. I've shot mostly 0.2 mil hold scopes in competition and had no issues runnig the Mk5hd pr2 with 1/4 mil for a season, but sold it due to other reasons. If a guy is trying to hold 0.7 to 0.8 mil on an animal at 600y in a 9mph full value wind, how's he going to aim? Bracket the aim point mid way between 0.5 and 1 mil hashes. Wouldnt a 1/4 mil hash in there make a precise aim point? Or just run a locking windage turret and dial it out if you have the time. I don't shoot the volume you do, and realize and accept that everyone has different needs wants preferences in their system. I myself, would like a bit more resolution for wind holds. I just acquired a second hand Apex hunter 3-15, which has 1/4 mil hash, but also has a 1/4 mil center dot which is 0.9" at 100y, larger than I want. We will see how this scope does. I'll put it on a known accurate rig and do some tracking, rtz, and drop testing.

I shot mine for the first time today. Thoughts so far:

I actually wanted to go to a .5 mil reticle for hunting use. I think it’s great how hard you can hold a .2 mil reticle in competition. For hunting, I’m appreciating having a less cluttered reticle, and also a reticle that doesn’t necessarily make me want to turn it up to 15x, as most of the .2 mil based reticles do. I like this reticle…a lot. I think I’d default to 10x and could do most of my type of “hunting” shooting between 8-12x happily. With something like a mil-c, my go to NF reticle, I’m visually happiest at 12x & up.

Parallax is very forgiving.

Resolution is good, color and brightness are very good, eyebox is…as expected for the magnification and objective diameter. Similar too my recollection of the 3-12 LRHS or 3-15 SWFA. At 15x, it doesn’t feel like looking through a 5-27 ZCO or 7-35 ATACR at 15x. Physics and all.

I love that it has splined turrets vs set screws. Though, it is slightly finicky to get the turret to realign with 100 splines. The original LRHS’s only had 50 splines on the turret, but still had 100 .1 mil marks on the turret, so when zeroing half the time you had to choose an option that was .1 off what you wanted. That wasn’t awesome, but I can kinda see what they were trying to avoid now. 100 splines is still superior, it isn’t THAT fiddly.

My drop test was…okay…I was in a giant hurry today and also was somewhat ammo constrained. As such, I shoot only a four round zero, which is usually pretty close on a gun that shoots sub moa 10 shot groups regularly. I did a couple drops at waist height on each side, and tweaked the zero by .1 after. Didn’t do the due diligence to be confident that it did or didn’t actually shift its POI, never missed my 2 moa aim point after the bore sight shot. I am feeling optimistic about it rolling into a hunt this week that’ll be for elk, probably with under 500 yd engagements.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I shot mine for the first time today. Thoughts so far:

I actually wanted to go to a .5 mil reticle for hunting use. I think it’s great how hard you can hold a .2 mil reticle in competition. For hunting, I’m appreciating having a less cluttered reticle, and also a reticle that doesn’t necessarily make me want to turn it up to 15x, as most of the .2 mil based reticles do. I like this reticle…a lot. I think I’d default to 10x and could do most of my type of “hunting” shooting between 8-12x happily. With something like a mil-c, my go to NF reticle, I’m visually happiest at 12x & up.

Parallax is very forgiving.

Resolution is good, color and brightness are very good, eyebox is…as expected for the magnification and objective diameter. Similar too my recollection of the 3-12 LRHS or 3-15 SWFA. At 15x, it doesn’t feel like looking through a 5-27 ZCO or 7-35 ATACR at 15x. Physics and all.

I love that it has splined turrets vs set screws. Though, it is slightly finicky to get the turret to realign with 100 splines. The original LRHS’s only had 50 splines on the turret, but still had 100 .1 mil marks on the turret, so when zeroing half the time you had to choose an option that was .1 off what you wanted. That wasn’t awesome, but I can kinda see what they were trying to avoid now. 100 splines is still superior, it isn’t THAT fiddly.

My drop test was…okay…I was in a giant hurry today and also was somewhat ammo constrained. As such, I shoot only a four round zero, which is usually pretty close on a gun that shoots sub moa 10 shot groups regularly. I did a couple drops at waist height on each side, and tweaked the zero by .1 after. Didn’t do the due diligence to be confident that it did or didn’t actually shift its POI, never missed my 2 moa aim point after the bore sight shot. I am feeling optimistic about it rolling into a hunt this week that’ll be for elk, probably with under 500 yd engagements.

Good to hear.

TxLite

WKR
Is the parallax on the mil version in yards or meters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t think it actually matters since the yardage indicated is just a suggestion anyways. It just gets you in the ballpark.

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
Is the parallax on the mil version in yards or meters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yards I assume, but exact parallax adjustment is atmosphere dependent, so it isn’t something that can be nailed down exactly. It’ll vary more than the 10% difference between yards and meters in different conditions. And based on my VERY limited experience today, it’s forgiving enough you probably can’t tell the difference anyways.

Although not the gift card 10% off bundle deal of $994.50 (pre-tax/shipping), Mavenbuilt's Amazon store is selling the scope for $1,020. I'm tempted.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I've only shot it enough for a hasty 100 yard zero (set hard stop), 200 yard verification (0 on turret), and 300 yard verification. After using it hunting the last couple of days I'm very fond of it.

I could do without the 7.5 (?) and 10 on the outer bars. Not a major issue, just something that I won't use and would make the reticle a bit cleaner. Still, not an issue.

atmat

WKR
I've only shot it enough for a hasty 100 yard zero (set hard stop), 200 yard verification (0 on turret), and 300 yard verification. After using it hunting the last couple of days I'm very fond of it.

I could do without the 7.5 (?) and 10 on the outer bars. Not a major issue, just something that I won't use and would make the reticle a bit cleaner. Still, not an issue.
I think a real winner would be this reticle stopped at 5mil, with the thicker outer stadium of the P3L.

Don’t need the 7.5 or 10, and want those stadia bolder.

fwafwow

WKR
Here in the blacklands its all grass and dirt. So basically onto my crosstac shooting mat on the hard dirt. (ie not a plowed field)

Folded in half so 1" of foam.
Its a 12.5 lb gun with scope.

Crosstac mat
How do you like that CrossTac mat?