Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44 new model

axeforce6

WKR
Tight eyebox and a reticle that you can’t use the holdovers on lower magnifications. I haven’t spent a ton of time with one but thats what i remember shooting my buddies.
Correct. The only complaint I have with my NX8 series scopes.

I felt like the eye box was overly critical and the parallax adjustments were fickle. I'm no optics analyst but it was less comfortable to look through than a 4-16 atacr which uses the same exact glass. Since the drop tests started I've bought and used swfa 6x,3-9,3-15,5-20,1-4 Bushnell lrts 3-12,4.5-18, lrhs2 4.5-18 DMR3 3-21, night force nx8 4-32, atacr 4-16 atacr 5-25, trijicon credo 4-16, ten mile 3-18, maven RS 3.2 5-30. I noticed that the scopes that had lower magnification ranges were easier to get a good image and typically more comfortable to look through. The same seems to be true for longer scopes. This probably doesn't matter at a rifle range but when you're in a compromised shooting position trying to spot impacts it matters. Or if you're trying to track a moving animal through trees. That is the appeal of the fixed power Scopes. They just work well.

Yep, it seems a huge zoom ratio and short length scopes come with real compromises:

-tight eye box
-finicky parallax and shallow depth of focus - I.e. you’re more likely to have parallax error and image out of focus unless you make tiny little corrections with parallax. I’ve also had one where it seemed the reticle was frequently fuzzy and not sharp
-possibly narrower FOV

All the finickyness ain’t worth the compromises.

If 4-6x zoom ratio and a little extra length can mitigate those compromises I’ll take that every single time! I’ll concede that I’ve very little experience with nx8 but the worst scope purchase I’ve ever made was a march 3-24x52 and I’ve been sour towards that type of scope ever since.

I don't think I would ever really need 15x, so my personal preference on this Maven scope of it holds zero would be 3-9 or 3-12. However, the masses want higher mag. I'd take 4-15x over 2.5-15x considering the compromises mentioned

OP
Dioni A

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Shoot2HuntU
I don't think I would ever really need 15x, so my personal preference on this Maven scope of it holds zero would be 3-9 or 3-12. However, the masses want higher mag. I'd take 4-15x over 2.5-15x considering the compromises mentioned
I take most of my long shots around 10-12x magnification but I like having a top end somewhere between 16 and 20 for target verification. If your going back and forth from spotter to rifle it can cost you. 4-20 is the sweet spot for me. 2.5-15 is totally usable though.

4th_point

WKR
I'm fine with 5 mil under center and would prefer it, along with three thick pickets.

However, I suspect that marketing people would balk as it would be remenistant of the old mil dot reticle.

ElPollo

WKR
So I went back and compared this to my favorite reticle (SWFA mil-quad). The SWFA has 10 mills of drop and 5 mils of wind. Haven’t ever used that much but can’t complain. The major difference is that the outer crosshairs (or pickets in 4th_point’s language) are about 3x as thick on the SWFA. If I could change one thing on the Maven reticle, that would be it.

Dobermann

WKR
What is the perceived benefit of this scope over LRHS2? RS3.2? Tenmile? SHV?

Assuming it works, that $1200 range has competition.
As one (minor) data point, my LRHS 3-12x44 weighs 26.4 oz / 748 g (same as stated weight of the RS1.2). It weighs 26.74 oz / 758 g with the sunshade.

I only have an actual weight for my LRTS 3-12 of 27.55 oz with sunshade. Assuming the sunshades are the same weight, then my LRTS would be 25.21 oz bare, so about 1 oz lighter than the RS1.2.

Like I said, only a minor data point, but just recording it here for comparison for those to whom it matters.

Assuming the RS1.2 passes the drop test (and a few other samples do as well, so it becomes a known quantity, like the SWFAs and Elite Tacticals), then reticle and eyebox, as others have said, will be the main differences.

To me, the SHR-MIL seems to have taken some good aspects from the SWFA ret (bold main crosshairs), the Bushnell Elite Tactical G3 ret (uncluttered tree), and the Minox THLR ret (open square, not doughnut) and come up with something that, on screen at least, looks pretty useable for field work.

RWT

WKR
Reticle is almost perfect and if it survives the drop test it will be a shout between this and the SHV.

sndmn11

WKR
Biggest benefit is industry awareness and adjustment to our niche preference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strictly on the information they are aware of the drop tests then, and trying to replicate? The reticle has been around for 4-5 years. The revamped RS3.2 I think was released 7 months ago, and nobody noticed.

With LRHS2 and the Trijicons available, maybe even with new SWFA models, and my preference the SHV, it's an interesting scope but a hard sell when it doesn't win on weight or price. I don't think any of the scopes I've mentioned are hard to get behind or finicky.

...and it's no secret I'm a big Maven fan.

I would like to get one, or an RS3.2, and toss it around.

OP
Dioni A

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Shoot2HuntU
Strictly on the information they are aware of the drop tests then, and trying to replicate? The reticle has been around for 4-5 years. The revamped RS3.2 I think was released 7 months ago, and nobody noticed.

With LRHS2 and the Trijicons available, maybe even with new SWFA models, and my preference the SHV, it's an interesting scope but a hard sell when it doesn't win on weight or price. I don't think any of the scopes I've mentioned are hard to get behind or finicky.

...and it's no secret I'm a big Maven fan.

I would like to get one, or an RS3.2, and toss it around.
The biggest gripe with any of the scopes you mentioned is that they all have a lousy reticle. One of the issues I have with all of the Bushnell variants is that the turrets are too large to run it low on a tikka action. Brass will hit and fall back into the action. The trijicon is nearly perfect but the reticle leaves something to be desired. SWFAs are great scopes but lack some of the features that people have gotten used to and appreciate The SHV just lacks a good reticle and is a bit heavy.

If this maven holds zero it will check pretty much every box for me. There's a couple things I would like to be slightly different but they're all very minor.

Yep, it seems a huge zoom ratio and short length scopes come with real compromises:

-tight eye box
-finicky parallax and shallow depth of focus - I.e. you’re more likely to have parallax error and image out of focus unless you make tiny little corrections with parallax. I’ve also had one where it seemed the reticle was frequently fuzzy and not sharp
-possibly narrower FOV
NF specifically has a reputation for tight eyeboxes, is that why?

sndmn11

WKR
The biggest gripe with any of the scopes you mentioned is that they all have a lousy reticle.

If this maven holds zero it will check pretty much every box for me. There's a couple things I would like to be slightly different but they're all very minor.

I hope it does work.

I do think the reticle in any of these scopes is over thought. Any of us who are intelligent enough to recognize the value in zero retention testing, can hunt with any of these reticles mentioned without issue. I liked this Maven reticle in the RS3s I had. I only still own SHVs and SWFAs, and they get used by hunters of various knowledge levels without issue.

I hope several of us can get hands on these .2 Mavens and vet them, and I hope they work.