Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44 new model

Okay all, seeing all these posts asking for drop test results has made me realize I need to share my full experience, as there is more to the story I’ve withheld for fear of the broken SWFA impacting the results but I now realize despite that, some may find my experience useful.

So I actually did drop the Maven after proofing my rig with SWFA and being pleased with the results. It was only at the end when I tried to re-zero the SWFA on my rig that I realized it was broken. I have a few videos of drops but don’t know that posting them will add much. 18” was knee height and 36” was crotch height. As a reminder, I messed up and used EVA foam + a blanket rather than a shooting mat and was on firm packed dirt/gravel at the range. My rifle/scope weights about 12 pounds, which also may have contributed to increased force. In talking to some other forum members more familiar with scope durability, they noted almost any scope would suffer a broken eyepiece or damaged turret from this amount of force, so keep that in mind as you consider my “results”.

First photo is the drop setup.

Second photo is the SWFA drop test. I used handloads that shoot around 1.5 MOA but I’m more like a 2 MOA shooter, especially without my suppressor. My orange dots are 2”. Top left is initial zero, top right confirmed this zero. Bottom left if 7 shots of drop eval. 18” x 3, 36” x 3 and 9x36”. At this point I felt the SWFA passed. Later on I shot another group to confirm the zero held in the lower right target, which was off and that’s when I realized I’d broken the elevation turret on the SWFA.

Third photo is the maven drop test. Same pattern for targets. The shot that is right and outside the lower left dot is after the second 36” drop, which was onto the windage turret. Given the “miss”, I moved to lower right target and shot 4 more shots, which are labeled. To me, it seems the erector may have bound and reset. I was running out of light so moved on to the 9x36” drops to complete the eval but after these drops I noticed the scope had rotated slightly in the rings and the elevation turret was bent and difficult to turn.

After adjusting the scope to be straight in the rings again I tried to re-zero but due to getting dark I was having trouble seeing my shots. I ended up firing 6 shots at three different aiming points to try and see my impacts but ultimately gave up. Interestingly, upon reviewing the target, I’d say those 6 shots formed an aggragate group that was within 1.5 MOA based on where I was aiming so it appears the scope may still function despite the damage to the turret.

The last photo shows what happened to my SWFA during this test, with the turret fully separating from the tube. I don’t have any photos of the maven as you can’t really tell it’s damaged. In summary, aside from a slightly bent elevation turret it still seems brand new. Windage, parallax and illumination work perfectly. Elevation seems to work but is harder to turn now due to the bend.

All said, the maven held up better than my SWFA and I am very impressed, though also a bit displeased with myself for damaging my gear due to a poorly designed drop test. I may try to get the maven out again to see if it still works but it could be a while as this month is very busy for me. Also tempted to send it in for repairs and see what their assessment is. I’ll try to update if I learn more.
Thanks for sharing your results! Looks like it shifted a bit, but the test may have been a bit rougher than the standard. I had the same thing happen to me on a test I did at home, so I know where you're coming from.
Looks like we're still in need of more data to know for certain but it's promising at least.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
As I have written multiple times- pay attention to how you are doing drops if you choose to do so. It is a very fine like between checking impact shifts if the optic or rifle, and shearing turrets and eyepieces off. An impact on hard ground (like ztc92) directly and repeatedly on the turrets, they will break on nearly every scope made.

How I do the drops is specific and comes from breaking a bunch of scopes. Drop on something that looks and feels like a golf course. Then put a 1/2 shooting mat on top. You will find out if your scope/rifle loses zero, and you won’t physically break any legit scope.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
As I have written multiple times- pay attention to how you are doing drops if you choose to do so. It is a very fine like between checking impact shifts if the optic or rifle, and shearing turrets and eyepieces off. An impact on hard ground (like ztc92) directly and repeatedly on the turrets, they will break on nearly every scope made.

How I do the drops is specific and comes from breaking a bunch of scopes. Drop on something that looks and feels like a golf course. Then put a 1/2 shooting mat on top. You will find out if your scope/rifle loses zero, and you won’t physically break any legit scope.
I’ve done some tapping with rubber mallets to try and simulate field knocks… Is this viable? Was planning on doing this with my new Maven RS1.2 during initial sight in trials.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I’ve done some tapping with rubber mallets to try and simulate field knocks… Is this viable? Was planning on doing this with my new Maven RS1.2 during initial sight in trials.

No. Scopes won’t show issues with mallet taps, but will loose zero from at rides. You are also checking the tubes ability to not minutely bend from drops. And, it’s a very different type of impact/force overall.

For most uses if a scope make/model seems to be good, then a couple single drops on the left (parallax) side from 2-3 foot on the surface I posted above will show to a relatively high degree if there are issues as most happen from the parallax side. Also, it mostly removes the chance of snapping a turret or eyepiece off.

Sandstrom

WKR

Out of curiosity how hard would it be to develop a “standardized”drop pad made out of readily available products, like plywood and foam backpacking mats and or carpet. Something that you could put over any hard surface and have repeatable results?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Out of curiosity how hard would it be to develop a “standardized”drop pad made out of readily available products, like plywood and foam backpacking mats and or carpet. Something that you could put over any hard surface and have repeatable results?

It’s actually not what you are look for. You want some give/indenting into the ground, not just a bounce.

As to the golf coarse surface reference. I'd assume we aren't looking for firmness of the green but would we be looking at fairway grass or the rough? Quite a difference there. Some of the rough would be quite cushy and some fairways still quite firm.

Wet, compacted sand is probably as close to consistent as you could get. It might not be perfect, but it’s close.

The shooting setup: property is getting sold so my bench and usual target is gone. This will have to do for now. This is a tikka with a SPR chambered brux in 25 creedmoor. Stock is an alterra that they bedded for me. Sportsmatch t084 rings with 50in/lb on bases and 25in/lb on the rings. CCCAE457-4D5D-40D2-9FC0-06CF6F696349.jpeg

Couple of “baseline” 10 shot groups. 20-30 would be better but I have not done that. There are not cherry picked; these are the only two I could find from several months ago. I can’t recall seeing a 10 shot group from this gun over 1.2”.

BFF7CEED-F0FE-422E-8552-1E1935CDA348.jpegE947F810-57EB-438E-8225-A2327EF2FECA.jpeg

Shot a bore sight, adjusted based on the reticle, then shot this group and set the turrets to zero. More shots would be ideal, but pretty confident in the zero. For reference this gun with this load shoots .8-1.2” 10 shot groups. Mostly gets shot at steel and animals.815F31B0-74D3-4319-A7D2-E717DAD940F5.jpeg

Was not set up to video. Here’s the drop setup. 1/2 thick foam mat on top of recently plowed soil. Still fairly hard which made me nervous. I did 3x drops on top, left, right sides all in a row. Height ranged from 28-32”. Chickened out on the 36” because the turrets were cutting into the mat; it seemed pretty rough lots of bouncing and vibration noises. The elevation turret slipped a half mil during the drops. Set it back to zero.

E2236B70-806A-4BDD-8D73-E916D3770D0F.jpeg

First shot. Couldn’t see it so I ran up to the target to see and took a picture.
CDFD03C0-E610-46F8-B744-0C799DD0365F.jpeg

Shot 4 more. Heart rate was up from all the movement. Starting to get a bit of mirage off my barrel. Rest is not as solid as it could be but..

C19A624E-140D-40DA-B633-73588096C12C.jpeg

Seems to have held zero. Shots are all within the expected cone for this gun/load.

Will leave this scope on and keep track over time.

Very happy with the reticle, glass, and ergonomics of the scope. Glass is very easy to get behind. It might be my favorite reticle I’ve used. The floating dot is nice, reticle is clean. Totally useable on low and high power. I need to spend more time behind it but so far there is nothing at all to complain about.

Edited to add baseline groups

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The shooting setup: property is getting sold so my bench and usual target is gone. This will have to do for now. This is a tikka with a SPR chambered brux in 25 creedmoor. Stock is an alterra that they bedded for me. Sportsmatch t084 rings with 50in/lb on bases and 25in/lb on the rings. View attachment 642349

Shot a bore sight, adjusted based on the reticle, then shot this group and set the turrets to zero. More shots would be ideal, but pretty confident in the zero. For reference this gun with this load shoots .8-1.2” 10 shot groups. Mostly gets shot at steel and animals.View attachment 642353

Was not set up to video. Here’s the drop setup. 1/2 thick foam mat on top of recently plowed soil. Still fairly hard which made me nervous. I did 3x drops on top, left, right sides all in a row. Height ranged from 28-32”. Chickened out on the 36” because the turrets were cutting into the mat; it seemed pretty rough lots of bouncing and vibration noises. The elevation turret slipped a half mil during the drops. Set it back to zero.

View attachment 642357

First shot. Couldn’t see it so I ran up to the target to see and took a picture.
View attachment 642350

Shot 4 more. Heart rate was up from all the movement. Starting to get a bit of mirage off my barrel. Rest is not as solid as it could be but..

View attachment 642354

Seems to have held zero. Shots are all within the expected cone for this gun/load.

Will leave this scope on and keep track over time.

Very happy with the reticle, glass, and ergonomics of the scope. Glass is very easy to get behind. It might be my favorite reticle I’ve used. The floating dot is nice, reticle is clean. Totally useable on low and high power. I need to spend more time behind it but so far there is nothing at all to complain about.
Heck yeah man! Thanks.

Sandstrom

WKR
It’s actually not what you are look for. You want some give/indenting into the ground, not just a bounce.

Wet, compacted sand is probably as close to consistent as you could get. It might not be perfect,
but it’s close.

Wet, compacted sand is probably as close to consistent as you could get. It might not be perfect, but it’s close.
Thanks! I hope I don’t get too many weird looks at the beach:)

4th_point

WKR
There's no durability reason not to. I tested two, @willfrye027 added a third, I know others are in the works but may not be talked about for a bit.

Whoa, killer!

You haven't proven "durability". Not trying to be a jerk, but you have a lot of eyes watching, potentially. Some with credit cards ready, others technically minded.

I don't think that your two field drops have proven much, yet.

I hope you don't get offended by this post, but this is the sort of stuff that has turned people off to the drop eval. Not formi per se, or his eval, but claims that are not founded. Yet.

The people willing to drop their scopes, and post the results, is highly commendable. Not trying to take that away from anyone.

Just need to exercise some caution with these posts!