Maven B1.2 vs B.6 / 8X vs 10X

What would you recommend?

• B1.2 8x42

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • B.6 10x50

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • B1.2 10x42

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Paypal me your $ and hold onto the borrowed binos!

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

josiahv

FNG
I'm honing in on my first pair of binoculars. I live in Western CO and have been borrowing some 10x42 Bushnells. I will be using them primarily for elk hunting during rifle season. I have a tripod I could use for longer glassing sessions, but imagine I'll use them handheld much of the time. After reading a lot of reviews and poking around a number of threads here, I'm leaning towards investing in either Maven B1.2 or B.6.

I have the 8x42 B1.2 and 10x50 B.6 (as well as the C1 in 10x42) in for testing with Maven's demo program. I'm extremely impressed with both B models and am having a hard time making a decision between them. The B.6 doesn't seem unwieldy by any means, but I'm trying to decide between the FOV of the 8x42 and the magnification of the 10x50. I do like the compactness of the 8x42, but don't find the 10x50 unwieldy by any means. Obviously the B1.2 comes in a 10X and the B.6 in a 12X, but I do really enjoy the brightness of ones I have in
to demo.

I have B1.2 8x42, SLC 10x42 and B6 12x50. I prefer the B1.2 out of them.

But if I only had 1, the B6 10x50s might be the best bridge between all fo them. Youre just going to have to spend time behind both and see what works for you.

I will take the B6s when Im also taking a small tripod, but your right, in hand the B6s feel a lot like older 10x42 used to feel in size/length. Mine fit perfectly in a Marsupial Small non enclosed perfectly.

At 1 point I had the B1.2 in both 8 and 10, and to me the 8s were the sweet spot for that bino.

If I had 1 pair, Id go with 10x. 2 pairs 8x and 12x. Choose your own adventure.

Pic of the B6s in a Marsupial small harness:

Attachments

• B505A951-9BDF-49D3-B24F-34943053753A.jpeg
    B505A951-9BDF-49D3-B24F-34943053753A.jpeg
    513.2 KB · Views: 51

rideold

WKR
I started out hunting elk in southwest Colorado in 2015 (late to the game!) with a pair of 8x42 Nikon Monarch 5 binos. They did the job but I always felt like I was missing things. I was given the advice to buy a nice pair of 8x42's because it wasn't the magnification that was the problem is was the glass. Be that as it may I really felt limited with the 8x for western CO. Everyone has their way of hunting and preference but for me the 8x felt like a limitation. I was all set to go with some Maven 10x42 but was concerned about loosing that much exit pupil so I started looking at 10x50's. Pretty hard to beat that magnification and lens combination in my opinion. That said, when it was all said and done and I had saved up the money to upgrade I ended up with the B.6 12x50's. I don't see myself going back. They do everything I want in a single pair of optics. So, that doesn't really answer your question since I ended up outside your choices....if I had to stay inside your choices I'd go for the 10x50's.

axeforce6

WKR
I used my B6 10X50's this season in Wyoming. I appreciated the extra power and the wider field of view. The are super crisp. I was really impressed with them. We we're glassing mule deer out to 1500 yards or so. I have used them in the woods here in Tn and don't regret the extra power. I may end up picking up a small set of the B3's 6x for bow season.

I have the B1.2 10x42 and the B2 9x45. Both are great. I've looked thru Conquest, some Leica's, Leupolds, vortex.

I picked these up for hunting elk and mule deer in the Craig, CO area. I like the B1.2 better when stacking or doing alot of walking as they are smaller. I take my 9x45 when sitting and glassing.

The guide and my friend in CO can get whatever glass he wants and has had lots of different ones sitting around, thus why I got to look thru so many!

His primary glass is the 9x45's. He also bought his grandson some C3's!

Another hunter had a pair of Leica, can't remember the model he said they were about $2,800. We were glassing 2 eagles sitting in a tree from camp. He like both the Mavens better than his, said they were a a bit sharper and liked the color better.

But the guides son didn't like the Mavens and said just the opposite. Just shows everyone's eyes are a bit different.

I really didn't see a big difference in the 8 vs 10 x. In TN the 8 x would be best, in CO I like the 10 x.

sndmn11

WKR
I had the 10x B1.2 and my wife had the 8x, I swapped mine out after one weekend and we now both have the 8x. The 10x is fine, but the 8x is outstanding. I believe that the 10x50 B6 would likely work similarly for me because the eye relief and exit pupil are really close.

OP
J

josiahv

FNG
I have B1.2 8x42, SLC 10x42 and B6 12x50. I prefer the B1.2 out of them.

But if I only had 1, the B6 10x50s might be the best bridge between all fo them. Youre just going to have to spend time behind both and see what works for you.

I will take the B6s when Im also taking a small tripod, but your right, in hand the B6s feel a lot like older 10x42 used to feel in size/length. Mine fit perfectly in a Marsupial Small non enclosed perfectly.

At 1 point I had the B1.2 in both 8 and 10, and to me the 8s were the sweet spot for that bino.

If I had 1 pair, Id go with 10x. 2 pairs 8x and 12x. Choose your own adventure.

Pic of the B6s in a Marsupial small harness:
This is extremely helpful info. Thank you. I'm still pretty torn, but the 8x42 probably has a slight lead.

OP
J

josiahv

FNG
I had the 10x B1.2 and my wife had the 8x, I swapped mine out after one weekend and we now both have the 8x. The 10x is fine, but the 8x is outstanding. I believe that the 10x50 B6 would likely work similarly for me because the eye relief and exit pupil are really close.
They feel really close for sure. I think the 8x just feels a little more crisp to me.

I have a pair of the b2 9x45. They are my main pair and since my backup is the lowly diamondback 10x42, I always use my b2.

I've never felt hindered by their size and weight. They're a touch bigger and heavier than the b6.

I'd go with the b6.

I have a pair of 1.2 in 10x42 love them glassed alot of stuff out about a mile with them

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I have the B2 11x45. They’re awesome. It was a good choice for me. The 9x45 would be a solid choice for you I would think based on your post.

OP
J

josiahv

FNG
Well, just to add to the confusion, the B2 9x45 sits right between your two main choices...

I have a pair of the b2 9x45. They are my main pair and since my backup is the lowly diamondback 10x42, I always use my b2.

I've never felt hindered by their size and weight. They're a touch bigger and heavier than the b6.

I'd go with the b6.

I have the B2 11x45. They’re awesome. It was a good choice for me. The 9x45 would be a solid choice for you I would think based on your post.

I feel like the B2 9 x 45 is definitely up my alley, but I think the size has been a little bit dissuasive.

I guess I should have included them in my demo :)

OP
J

josiahv

FNG
Do you use binoculars mounted on a tripod?

How often (percentage of glassing time)?
I have not in the past, but I recently purchased a lightweight tripod for this purpose and have been testing it out.

It's hard to say what percentage I'll use it in the future, but it will probably depend a lot on the hunt (and what magnification binoculars I settle on).

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have not in the past, but I recently purchased a lightweight tripod for this purpose and have been testing it out.

It's hard to say what percentage I'll use it in the future, but it will probably depend a lot on the hunt (and what magnification binoculars I settle on).
If you plan on using the tripod a lot, I think the B.6 could be beneficial, as a steady hold is needed for most viewers to get the most out of the resolution potential of 10x and up binoculars.

However, it seems you find the 8x B1.2 a little crisper in general use, and that is likely due to the 8x being more stable when handholding. Many people in blind tests have indicated they feel like they can see MORE detail with an 8x than a 10x When handholding. If you think you will spend most of your time handholding them, the 8x sounds like the ticket for you, and tripod mounting 8x will still offer a boost in performance when you find the occasion. The 8x will provide a much wider view as well.

I have used the 10x B1.2 and 12x B.6 side-by-side, and preferred the view from the B1.2 generally. It is a well corrected design and I would expect similar results from the 8x.

OP
J

josiahv

FNG
If you plan on using the tripod a lot, I think the B.6 could be beneficial, as a steady hold is needed for most viewers to get the most out of the resolution potential of 10x and up binoculars.

However, it seems you find the 8x B1.2 a little crisper in general use, and that is likely due to the 8x being more stable when handholding. Many people in blind tests have indicated they feel like they can see MORE detail with an 8x than a 10x When handholding. If you think you will spend most of your time handholding them, the 8x sounds like the ticket for you, and tripod mounting 8x will still offer a boost in performance when you find the occasion. The 8x will provide a much wider view as well.

I have used the 10x B1.2 and 12x B.6 side-by-side, and preferred the view from the B1.2 generally. It is a well corrected design and I would expect similar results from the 8x.
Thank you! This is an extremely helpful perspective. It seems like 10X is the default for western hunts, but I really like that 8X B1.2