Maven B1.2 vs B.6 / 8X vs 10X

What would you recommend?

• B1.2 8x42

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • B.6 10x50

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • B1.2 10x42

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Paypal me your $ and hold onto the borrowed binos!

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
Hi! Curious if the 9x45 form factor holds up to longer treks for instance on a hike, do you usually carry them on your person for extended times?
I have a pair of the b2 9x45. They are my main pair and since my backup is the lowly diamondback 10x42, I always use my b2.

I've never felt hindered by their size and weight. They're a touch bigger and heavier than the b6.

I'd go with the b6.

While running sounds intense! Thanks for the info! Deciding between this form factor and 8 x 42s. The extra mag is tempting if they are still somewhat ergonomic hand held

I’ve owned the B1.2 8x42, B2 9x45, B6 10x50, SLC 10x42, SLC 8x42, Victory SF 10x42, SFL 8x40, and numerous others. Of the Mavens, I find the B6 10x50 the cherry of the bunch. To my eyes it is optically a bit easier and offers a more saturated / easier view than the B1.2 (the extremely short focal length of the B1.2s creates some optical challenges), and the B6 is also a more compact and easier handling unit than the B2 9x45 even though they are a 50mm. I’ll be so bold as to say IMO the B6 offers one of the best value / performance propositions in its price range.

In the 8x vs 10x debate, most guys assume more magnification is better (a growing number are also going to 12x). Personally, I‘m not a fan of 12x for handheld use. For the forest or mixed terrain, I reach for my 8x all day long. For the west, or a combination of field and tripod duty, I’ve found a 10x most useful.

I’ve owned the B1.2 8x42, B2 9x45, B6 10x50, SLC 10x42, SLC 8x42, Victory SF 10x42, SFL 8x40, and numerous others. Of the Mavens, I find the B6 10x50 the cherry of the bunch. To my eyes it is optically a bit easier and offers a more saturated / easier view than the B1.2 (the extremely short focal length of the B1.2s creates some optical challenges), and the B6 is also a more compact and easier handling unit than the B2 9x45 even though they are a 50mm. I’ll be so bold as to say IMO the B6 offers one of the best value / performance propositions in its price range.

In the 8x vs 10x debate, most guys assume more magnification is better (a growing number are also going to 12x). Personally, I‘m not a fan of 12x for handheld use. For the forest or mixed terrain, I reach for my 8x all day long. For the west, or a combination of field and tripod duty, I’ve found a 10x most useful.
Spiral....

I've had several of the Maven in "cart" over the summer. Could you opine on the Abbe prisms vs the Schmidt and what the view looks like between the B2 and B6?

Like the OP....I really wanted to try the 9X45. But most reviews say opt for the B6.

I have Meopta 12s that are new to me and I'm 85% off a tripod. Love them. I just want a back up pair with less Xs to round out.

Spiral....

I've had several of the Maven in "cart" over the summer. Could you opine on the Abbe prisms vs the Schmidt and what the view looks like between the B2 and B6?

Like the OP....I really wanted to try the 9X45. But most reviews say opt for the B6.

I have Meopta 12s that are new to me and I'm 85% off a tripod. Love them. I just want a back up pair with less Xs to round out.
Hi Jesse,

Let me start off by saying that IMO the B1.2, B2, and B6 are all high performing binoculars, and offer great value/$. In this thread I was just highlighting some of my observations and preferences in comparing the 3.

The question you pose is a bit more complex than it appears as the B2 and B6 designs are very different. Let me break it down:

Abbe-Koenig vs Schmidt-Pechan Prism designs: This an extremely over-simplistic and non-technical summery.

The AK design is older and simpler design which has fewer reflective surfaces (all internal) that are at a steeper angle (usually 60 degrees). It offers the advantages of higher organic transmission and less distortion (requires less correction) than other roof-prism designs. It also allows the binocular objectives to be slightly off-axis often creating somewhat of a more 3D effect that some find more pleasing. All else being equal (it rarely is) the AK design will be brighter and more saturated than an SP design. Zeiss is often credited for depth of development with this system. The main disadvantages are due to the steeper angle of the reflective surfaces this dictates a longer focal length and usually a larger overall binocular. The legendary Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 were AKs, todays Swarovski SLC 56mms are SLCs, Vortex Razor UHD-II, and Maven B2 are all AK - I’m certain there are many others.

The SP design has more reflective surfaces and also includes refractive surfaces (both internal and external bending of light). These surfaces are at a shallower angle and while still very effective add more imperfections to the image than their AK siblings. However, with advances in optical designs, phase-correction, dialectic coatings, ED and flourite glass have effectively addressed many of these disadvantages to the point where many of the inherent advantages of the AK design have been significantly reduced. The drive to SP was primarily driven by the market demand for more compact binocular designs and lower manufacturing costs via mass production. AKs are still mainstream in larger objective designs - just look through an 8x56 SLC and be greeted by a very bright and deeply saturated image.

OK, back to the B2 9x45 vs the B6 10x50. While both have Maven’s solid build quality and a 5mm exit pupil they are very different binoculars. The B2 is very big, a bit heavy, and I personally did not care for the handling. I was very fond of the 9x45 configuration (9x is a bit unique) and it offered a very pleasing and saturated image with good colors. The colors were noticeably more saturated than the B1.2 and about on par or a smidge better than the B6. However, since this was one of their earlier designs I think Maven may have over-relied on the inherent advantages of the AK prisms as they just weren’t quite as bright as I expected, and I don’t feel that they were able to get the B2 image to its full AK design potential. Don’t get me wrong, they are still a great bino, but I expected a smidge more wow from them, especially for their bulk. When I first received the B6 I had serious doubts as it was very compact for a 50mm glass. But I was very surprised with the bright and deeply detailed image. Still think my Zeiss SF is better, but I’m not feeling undergunned when using the B6. Overall image comparison B2 vs B6 - detail and resolution are quite close, the B6 is brighter (assuming from better glass, coatings, and upgraded SP prisms), and the B2 may have a smidge better color saturation. Overall I find the B6 a bit more optically satisfying and significantly better handling. If I would have a general gripe about the Maven image it would be with color saturation. They could certainly improve there - ex the Maven colors are no match for my new Zeiss SFL (very deeply saturated and naturally toned). Maven could improve there.

Sorry for the very long-winded response but the question was a bit more complex than it may have appeared. Also, I’m sure some others may have different opinions of these binoculars.

Last edited:
Thank you. Wasnt a direct HiJack and maybe the OP got something out of it. I've read all the same as you've posted. But I've never had "Hands On". Or I didnt think I had....and AK prism experience.

I do own a 15X56 SLC. Original owner. Think I bought them in 2013. I believe they are Non HD...sucks. I didn't know these are AK prisms.

I'd often heard of the Kidney Beaning effect. Or Flat Field effect. I assumed it was some alternate earth shattering image type I just HAD to see first hand.

I glass 85% off a tripod. When I first bought the 15X56 SLC I thought I was a glassing God. I am very good. But even out West....sometimes they're almost too much. Or I just couldn't fit them in my "style". Too much to hunt into a spot in a chest harness and glass random spots on approach. They were dedicated tripod/glassing pad optics.

I have done much better with a 10 or 12 for all around and add a Spotter. But I've done it both ways.

I think this helps me make a decision....be B6 10X50. I am 51. I like bright and clear. I am not sure I care too much about abberation or true/correct color.

Fun Guy

FNG
I have run the 8x42's for the past two seasons in SW Montana and love them. The animals really pop. There are occasions when I can't get enough detail so I have to bust ouy the spotter. I ran 10x42 Vortex pre Maven and definitely find more game with the B.1.2 8x Mavens. I may add the B6 12x50's for more heavy tripod hunts.