Matt Rinella Speaks to Pope and Young

Gobbler36

WKR
Yeup. How many people watch the YouTube shows or see Instagram posts about some influencer's trip and then type "Kodiak DIY", "Kotzebue Caribou", "Haul Road", "Unit XYZ pronghorn", etc. into their google machine and it takes them right to numerous public Rokslide threads at the top of the results that hand feed them. And then when a place like Kodiak needs to limit tags because of the influx it's all the fault of greedy residents or influencers. How often do we see in the FNG thread someone say "did a google search about (insert tag or animal) and saw the wealth of info here and decided to join." Someone writing up a trip report on RS could very well be what takes Joe Public from interested in a hunt because of seeing an influencer doing it to pulling the trigger because everyday guys on rokslide are doing it and giving them the step by step. I'd say most of the time when I google stuff hunting related, Rokslide is at least one of the top 3 results.

To be clear as a member, I'm not complaining about what RS is or the content or I would show myself the door. I'm just trying to provide perspective to those who are still in denial that they are participating in social media and likely enabling what they view as the problem.
Damn I think I’m gonna show myself the door…. definitely never a trip story

Dave_S

Lil-Rokslider
This was certainly very interesting to watch. I agree with much of what Matt has to say, particularly regarding social media "influencers" and how messy monetization can become within the industry. I would argue that the trend of people attempting to gain fame through social media is widespread and not limited to hunting. I would argue that the flow of money and how companies use it is more often than not very opaque. Whether we talk about hunting or pharmaceuticals or social media platforms, I think we should all at the very least understand that we are viewed as commodities by the companies we are surrounded by. I'm not sure I can 100% get behind his stance on hunter numbers. Maybe I am missing something, but I would think that increased numbers of hunters would mean increased numbers of (hopefully) positive advocates for the sport and increased numbers voting for policies and politicians that benefit us.
I am also a pretty new hunter. I grew up in the suburbs, nobody in my family has ever hunted, and I am certainly the first to own a firearm or bow. Having heard Matt talk about this issue before, it's pretty hard not to think that he wouldn't want me in the woods. I will admit to enjoying (past and presently) Meateater content. I would at least partially credit that very thing with giving me the push to try something that I have fallen in love with. That being said, I have listened to the podcast episode where him and his brother argue about everything he is talking about in this video. I felt like it was impossible to escape a sense that some of Matt's arguments were sort of whining about how he has to run into other hunters when he wants solitude. And if I know anything about families or people in general, there is probably a good bit of jealousy mixed in there. This does not make him wrong, but it does color the sincerity of his positions.
Final thought, he is likely onto something regarding poaching allegations among industry players under pressure to make content. That being said, I have some doubts than the average poacher is doing it for fame and social media likes. Bragging rights? Yeah I could see that, but I think if somebody is willing to act unethically, none of this would matter to them.
Definitely worth talking about and reflecting on, and that's probably the most important take-away.

CMF

WKR
That’s interesting, don’t see why rockslide couldn’t firewall google randoms from seeing threads. Seems like a win win, rokslide would have more members.
Thats not a bad idea
I don't think it would be win-win. It's likely the advertisement dollars paying to keep this going, and those values are usually based on the number of unique visitors, which is way more than the 53k registered users. I think having a rule against clearly posting unit numbers wouldn't be a bad idea and at least cut out a lot of complaining.
1683330435912.png

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I don't think it would be win-win. It's likely the advertisement dollars paying to keep this going, and those values are usually based on the number of unique visitors, which is way more than the 53k registered users. I think having a rule against clearly posting unit numbers wouldn't be a bad idea and at least cut out a lot of complaining.
View attachment 550864

Totally agree. No reason to allow spot burning.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Damn I think I’m gonna show myself the door…. definitely never a trip story
Some members strive to contribute to the Rokslide community, some just use the classifieds and give nothing back

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
View attachment 550864
Not allowing threads with units/zones would be a start. Maybe asking a vague question like "help with WY antelope areas" with contact only via PM could be a step in the right direction. Posting pics doesn't necessarily have to be a negative but, make sure the pic doesn't have terrain features readily identifiable.

Dave_S

Lil-Rokslider
Some members strive to contribute to the Rokslide community, some just use the classifieds and give nothing back

As a current non contributor, I'm hoping to have something of value to add one of these days.

JjamesIII

WKR
“Many of these hunters made use of an outfitter, which they (hunter) just executed the shot.” So true, I refer to this as punching the easy button to punch your tag.
I like many (not all) of Matt’s points that he makes. He isn’t afraid to speak to the realities in the hunting world. He knows some of his statements challenge others because his points are in direct opposition to some of the accepted norms the hunting community has followed for years, even though most of us know there should be changes made that would be beneficial.

bmrfish

WKR
Not a fan. Strikes me as the height of selfish arrogance and disrespect to be telling people I don’t like the way you hunt or why you hunt and you need to change because I know better and my way is the right way.
You go about your business and I’ll go about mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hnthrdr

WKR
Lots to unpack and think about. Agree with some of what he says, disagree with some. Hunting has been monetized, that isn't changing anytime soon if ever. Started way back with tv shows and vhs tapes. It's morphed/evolved into modern day exposure; social media.

It's not just hunting. My brothers are hard core mountain bikers that travel the US to ride. They have seen an increase in "social media riders." Same with backpacking, off roading, fishing, etc.
I have a theory related to some of this. I call it “internet pioneering” the US has been settled for years, the west won. We live in a very sterile, very safe place and time in history. Now people like to “discover” new spots/ things ie. Fort Collins, cour de lane, Sheridan/Buffalo, or new trails, hunting, camping spots ect. They then want to share or exploit new spot via Socials for clout, likes, to monetize, or to let people know they are on the cutting edge. Needless to say what follows in the wake is usually ruining whatever is getting discovered and then pimped out on line

Hnthrdr

WKR
Yeup. How many people watch the YouTube shows or see Instagram posts about some influencer's trip and then type "Kodiak DIY", "Kotzebue Caribou", "Haul Road", "Unit XYZ pronghorn", etc. into their google machine and it takes them right to numerous public Rokslide threads at the top of the results that hand feed them. And then when a place like Kodiak needs to limit tags because of the influx it's all the fault of greedy residents or influencers. How often do we see in the FNG thread someone say "did a google search about (insert tag or animal) and saw the wealth of info here and decided to join." Someone writing up a trip report on RS could very well be what takes Joe Public from interested in a hunt because of seeing an influencer doing it to pulling the trigger because everyday guys on rokslide are doing it and giving them the step by step. I'd say most of the time when I google stuff hunting related, Rokslide is at least one of the top 3 results.

To be clear as a member, I'm not complaining about what RS is or the content or I would show myself the door. I'm just trying to provide perspective to those who are still in denial that they are participating in social media and likely enabling what they view as the problem.
Which is why it is now vital to maybe be a little more ambiguous about posts; no units, seasons, heck maybe leave out states. Guys here can figure out plenty usually, but if you want to keep places a little less crowded don’t blow them up on the internet

Way before Rokslide there was Bowsite, and trust me, that place opened alot of places up for bowhunters. Rokslide is continuing that + all the stuff on youtube. If you look back 20-30 years, the same thing was going on with bowhunters and VHS. No different, just a different time but make no mistake, they were making money, and exploiting areas. Call a spade a spade.

Oh well, it was a good run while it lasted.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Technology and ease of getting information has turned the world into a very small place . A small place gets "crowded" quickly .
This is how I see it also.
Few people use to understand the requirements to get an out of state license, nor had the confidence to explore new territory. Now it's right before them with a simple push on thier phone.

The genie isn't going back in bottle.

Ucsdryder

WKR
This is how I see it also.
Few people use to understand the requirements to get an out of state license, nor had the confidence to explore new territory. Now it's right before them with a simple push on thier phone.

The genie isn't going back in bottle.

Yep, nailed it! Not to mention the ease of navigating. 25 years ago guys were scared to get out of view of a road or landmark, or their car! Now with onx and gps guys will go into a new place in the dark, hunt all day, then come out in the dark!

I have an acquaintance that almost died 10 years ago when a blizzard moved in. His gps and phone died and he had no idea where he was. He wandered around for 5 hours in the middle of the night until he saw headlights. Blind ass luck he didn’t die. He got a ride to the er with hypothermia.

I remember being 12 years old on my Appaloosa being absolutely terrified of getting lost. My dad would say “you go that way, and I’ll meet you in an hour”. What I didn’t know is that he was watching me the whole time, but wanting me to become independent and learn to be on my own. At the time I was scared shitless!

TurkeyReaper69

Lil-Rokslider
I really appreciate Matt and his Hunt Quietly movement. Do I think he's a bit extreme in some of his views and could potentially destruct the movement with some things he says? Absolutely.

I haven't watched video yet I'm gonna get around to it tomorrow, but that being said I really enjoyed most of the sentiment in this thread.

And to be straight forward, piss on anyone making a living by pimping out natural resources for fame or monetary gain. If you want to make a living off natural resources get into the business of conserving them not exploiting our resources. I start my new job in Natural resources for the fed government next week and couldn't be more excited to do my part giving back to the resources that have brought so much happiness to my life. It truly sickens me most of the stuff going on in the hunting-sphere these days.

Way before Rokslide there was Bowsite, and trust me, that place opened alot of places up for bowhunters. Rokslide is continuing that + all the stuff on youtube. If you look back 20-30 years, the same thing was going on with bowhunters and VHS. No different, just a different time but make no mistake, they were making money, and exploiting areas. Call a spade a spade.

Oh well, it was a good run while it lasted.
I have subscribed off an on to huntinfool dating back to the late nineties, I think I still have a couple copies from 2001. They don’t get the hate the youtubers get and have way more information.
I have said for awhile now I’m not sure if the internet was one of the best things or worse thing to have ever been invented, this issue fits that perfectly.

elkyinzer

WKR
I see the crowding being caused primarily by the ease of information more than influencer promotion. F'n OnX. But I'm not getting rid of mine, are you?

That said I think most of us can agree we can most definitely chill with the R3 stuff. That crap is an absolute joke in any consumptive recreation right now.

Clout chasers and influencers aren't my cup of tea to put it gently, speaking to base elements of their personality, but they've been around forever. Social media just gives them an ideal platform. If you want to be part of the solution quit giving them the views and engagement they so desperately desire.