Matt Rinella and Jim Shockey

Montucky

WKR
Remi Warren holds my attention the best…..I wish the Kifaru guys would refrain fom the Fbomb so much. Can’t listen to Kifaru with my kids in the Jeep….I will give a listen to the above mentioned though

Chuckybmd

WKR
I’m not sure I could handle another podcast with Matt Rhinella . Steve’s had him on at least once. I think he’s just a little too brash.

He makes some good points but I don’t think he would have any kind of spotlight without his brother. Kind of shocked me that Steve was still so nice to him.

At one point Steve just stopped him in the middle of the being over-talked and said, “do you even want to hear what I was going to say?” Gave me all the awkward feels of watching a Family fight as an outsider.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have to say I'm shocked some folks are not familiar with Jim. I have met him many several times as well as hunted with J Alain Smith and both are unreal good humans and hunters from my perspective. You would be hard pressed to find any 2 people anywhere in the world who hunt as hard as these two guys, both risking their lives IMO too much of the time. Jim spent something like 60 days in the field in Russia chasing a sheep, hunted in Burkino Faso, Liberia, the Congo, and dozens of other horrible places, etc. These are quite extreme hunts compared to what Steve has done in his career. I find all of them excellent ambassadors to the sport, and all 3 contributed to it's current popularity. I just find Jim and J Alain very very extreme hunters and Rinella just a typical western hunter and business man now. A lot of the guys in the Forum are better and harder hunters than Steve for sure. No one on here has done what J Alain has done in his life and likely would never want to.

At one point Steve just stopped him in the middle of the being over-talked and said, “do you even want to hear what I was going to say?” Gave me all the awkward feels of watching a Family fight as an outsider.
I wish someone would say that to Steve once in a while. His constant interrupting makes the podcast tough to listen to.

Jbogg

FNG
Jim Shockey has been a positive ambassador for hunting for many years. The hunting community could use more folks like him. I’m not a fan of Matt Rinella’s interview style, of non stop interruptions and breaking his guests train of thought. Shockey handled it well. I understand Rinella’s frustration, but in the same breath he complained about Western hunting being already overcrowded, while at the same time stating that his goal is to make hunting land accessible to Everyone, and not just the wealthy. So which is it? Does he want more hunters, or not?

WKR

WKR
Jim Shockey has been a positive ambassador for hunting for many years. The hunting community could use more folks like him. I’m not a fan of Matt Rinella’s interview style, of non stop interruptions and breaking his guests train of thought. Shockey handled it well. I understand Rinella’s frustration, but in the same breath he complained about Western hunting being already overcrowded, while at the same time stating that his goal is to make hunting land accessible to Everyone, and not just the wealthy. So which is it? Does he want more hunters, or not?
He's trying to make lands more accessible to the people that already hunt and have had lands they used to hunt taken away by leases and private land owners. Not to create more hunters.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I’m not sure I could handle another podcast with Matt Rhinella . Steve’s had him on at least once. I think he’s just a little too brash.

He makes some good points but I don’t think he would have any kind of spotlight without his brother. Kind of shocked me that Steve was still so nice to him.

The irony in your opinion is Matt would do anything not to be in the spot light because people like his brother have made it be that someone has to step up to the plate to counter the damage done by influencers of the world.

I agree he is brash even for me sometimes (and I’m brash at times). But if you listened to his podcast you’d know he is paying thousands of dollars out of his pocket for his cause and making zero money in return. He started another non prof to help land owners who are enrolled in block management helping them with ranch work as a thank you for allowing public hunting.

Steve is the king at interruption on his podcast, and I imagine they’ve had that back and forth their entire lives as brothers would.

2ski

WKR
Noone giving Shockey props for bringing us Eva? That girl does hunt and she's straight good looking.

I've always admired Jim Shockey, really put the concept of adventure hunting on the map. I always appreciated the educational components to his shows, especially in the Uncharted series, hunting places I likely will never have the opportunity to experience myself.

I'm not a big fan of selling out for various sponsors, but if doing so allowed you to travel around the world and hunt places and animals that many have never heard of, wouldn't you do it too? Definitely frustrating, but it allows him to put together a product that I thoroughly enjoy

TheTone

WKR
Noone giving Shockey props for bringing us Eva? That girl does hunt and she's straight good looking.
Different strokes for different folks. She barely hunts, her mule deer last year admittedly was her first hunt in years, it’s always with a guide, and yet there is her name plastered all over a bunch of hunting products.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Different strokes for different folks. She barely hunts, her mule deer last year admittedly was her first hunt in years, it’s always with a guide, and yet there is her name plastered all over a bunch of hunting products.
Most hunting in the world is with a guide, mostly just us lucky Americans and a few other countries do we get the freedom to hunt without one.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well said

tpm231030

FNG

I just stumbled on this thread and ultimately landed on that infamous podcast last night in disbelief. I also read Matt's blog that Meateater published (as well as Steve's rebuttal). I agree with you, and I could not believe Steve kept the kid gloves on long as he did.

The problem with Matt isn't his point of view (at least not all of his points). It's his scorched earth approach to winning people over and it's painful to watch/listen to. The precepts of his argument are certainly debatable, and follows it up with shaky logic to arrive at contentious conclusions. While I believe some of those conclusions, his unwillingness to let anyone unpack and challenge the merits of his arguments is very telling.

If he was confident in his theories he would be willing to sit back, be challenged, and respond without resorting to hyperbole or character insults. Personally, I think he's just pissy that someone found his hunting spot and being an entitled brat, just can't cope.