Matt Rinella and Jim Shockey

How many of you have listened to the new "hunt quietly" podcast with Jim Shockey? I did so today and it was a very thoughtful podcast IMO.
When Matt showed up in force, I initially couldn't hack him. My first thought was that it was nice to know there is someone more arrogant that Steve in the Rinella family.
Since then, I've forced myself to listen to his words and ignore the delivery (which is real hard for me). I find myself leaning far closer to his ideas than I thought I would, though I do believe there is some middle ground in some areas that Matt can't seem to find. Absolute black and white rarely works in real life, but there is a problem and I do believe that the monetization of hunting has contributed to a lot of those problems.
I've always known OF Jim Shockey, but never really had paid much attention until today. The man really grabbed me with his thoughtful, respectful, and nuanced approach to the discussion. His patience through repeated interruptions was impressive and I could learn a lot from just this point.
Interested in hearing other's thoughts on the exchange. I feel like Jim made some impressive points and I am attracted to the balanced ideas and his obvious deeply spiritual love of the resource and the animals we pursue. If my fascination with them and the presence of reverence and gratitude for the sacrifice of life ever leaves, I hope I would immediately stop hunting.

Thoughts anyone?

OP
E
I like Matt. Not so much the other guy.
Can't say that I've ever known anything about him until today. Obviously seen his name around, but just never knew much. I am impressed by what I heard today. May pick up his book he's releasing. I too have really grown to like Matt. Have to overlook a lot since it's more about style for me and that has nothing to do with his message.

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not a huge fan of either. Matt would be totally unknown if it wasn't for his brother and Jim is a sellout. I listened to the hunt quietly with aron Snyder and was wishing the whole time that Snyder would say what he was actually thinking but he was being pretty conservative. I would give Matt a chance if he could just stfu and listen to a reply instead of interrupting. I honestly don't know why anyone goes on his podcast.

OP
E
I'm not a huge fan of either. Matt would be totally unknown if it wasn't for his brother and Jim is a sellout. I listened to the hunt quietly with aron Snyder and was wishing the whole time that Snyder would say what he was actually thinking but he was being pretty conservative. I would give Matt a chance if he could just stfu and listen to a reply instead of interrupting. I honestly don't know why anyone goes on his podcast.
Can completely agree that Matt needs to shut up occasionally and let folks finish a thought. Haven’t listened to the Snyder episode but after his things with Bowmar, can’t say I ever will.

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not familiar with his bowmar dealings. I like aron and I like kifaru. He seems like a no BS type dude that's not afraid to say what's on his mind.

OP
E
I'm not familiar with his bowmar dealings. I like aron and I like kifaru. He seems like a no BS type dude that's not afraid to say what's on his mind.
My issue is that after the Bowmars were convicted, he let Josh come on and make excuses and shut off all comments. As a customer who has spent thousands on Kifaru gear, that’s a huge slap in the face. I decided then and there that this, coupled with a few other things I was iffy on that it was the proverbial straw. Sold everything and moved on.

TheTone

WKR
If I had to guess; the sponsor bouncing he has done and using his name on some products that are clearly not that great. Also maybe the interview or article (can’t remember which) where he basically said it was okay that Canadian outfitters were stuffing clients on refunds over Covid because they’re small businesses and need the money. I may have more issue with the fact his daughter uses her name and likeness as a hunting influencer when she basically doesn’t hunt

Yoder

WKR
I don't see Steve Rinella as arrogant. At all. I also don't understand the hate he gets. I think he is one of the best ambassadors for hunting we have. I also really like Jim Shockey. I view him the same way. Both make money promoting hunting. I love hunting. I support hunting. I would rather they get my money than some actor that hates everything I value.

jim is a legend. he has a totally different viewpoint than most hunters and i think debating with the younger and possibly sharper rinella took guts... even though it was basically just a book promo I'm still impressed by his achievements.. But it sounded like he has some remorse for all the animals he has hunted and his goal of creating a preserve is his way of justifying things and passing on his legacy. IDK

Sevens

WKR
I met Shockey at a convention once. Nice guy, introduced myself and told him I liked his show and the exotic hunts he goes on versus all the tree stand whitetail hunts you commonly see. He said, thanks and something to the effect of the support from me watching his show is what allows him to continue to travel the world making those shows. I retorted, and uncharacteristic for me, what would be even cooler is if he watched me instead and I went on those exotic hunts … don’t think he liked that response.