Mathews v3x 33 tuning issues

golfbum

WKR
Isn't that blade angle?

Been a bit since I messed with one. To change tension it's under the lever arm on the rod, where the wound spring is. I think you change the hole the spring is in.

But very likely I'm wrong.

I do think softening the tension could possibly help, but they aren't that light of an arrow to begin with.
That’s correct. I meant raise the launcher arm. Tension should be on the side but I doubt you need to add tension, they usually come pretty stiff but your arrow is pretty heavy.

I'm in the same boat. It was easier to mess with since you didn't need to deal with prestretching the tar out of the rubber, I think some just had too much tension on them. As long as you don't permanently deform the spring, they seemed fine. I shot a Trinity for a few years, but went back to a fixed blade. I like being able to swap blade bodies to try different arrows, definitely don't shoot worse with a blade so I went back to them. Not for hunting tho of course, tho I been getting tempted.

OP
F

Foster_65

FNG
So I did what golf bum suggested. Raised tge launcher arm as far as it would go before it let loose. Got the bottom of my arrow in the upper 1/3 of Berger. Put soft nocks top and bottom. No bueno. Same song and dance. The middle three holes are from 4-5 ft the outer long tears are from about 10 ft.

After first shot I raised rest up as far as I could go and shot the last 4. Really no difference but I didn’t have much room to move from the get go.

Attachments

• 3B59C128-D758-4268-B62F-AF9B9738AA9F.jpeg
    3B59C128-D758-4268-B62F-AF9B9738AA9F.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 31
Only other thing I can tell ya at this point is back off the top limb bolt a 1/4 turn and shoot it through paper again and see if anything changes. Its a quick adjustment to just rule that out. I havent seen this on any Mathews bow Ive worked on recently (since the dw is mod based), but it could be a sign that the top limbs are pulling harder.

You might be better off just cutting the loop and soft nocks off and stepping away from it for a bit. Bow shop might be the next stop.

Edit: what is your DL and arrow length?

Last edited:

golfbum

WKR
Depending on draw length you could be under spined even with a 250 with the 175 up front and 77lbs.

Maybe take a turn or two out of the limbs to see if it gets better.

Strange for sure

Edited once I saw 31.5

Try taking a full turn or two out and shoot it again.

Depending on draw length you could be under spined even with a 250 with the 175 up front and 77lbs.

Maybe take a turn or two out of the limbs to see if it gets better.

Strange for sure

Edited once I saw 31.5

Try taking a full turn or two out and shoot it again.

Id at least throw the hail mary of only taking a 1/4 to 1/2 turn out of the top limb first just to rule out the top limbs not pulling harder before doing that. Doesnt take much time and since you are in the process of ruling things out, its worth knowing you tried it.

I think hamskea says 2-2.5" down the limb, and that becomes more important with a longer DL. Probably need to be on the 2.5" side of it. WIth my short DL, I can stay in the 50-70% even having my rest cord go to the old hamskea mathews limb bracket.

Last edited:
OP
F

Foster_65

FNG
Again I appreciate the help. I set the rest on the weakest setting. Sam thing, no change. I cut the d loop off and I out of material so I’m just gonna put it down for the night. Besides I’m getting pretty mad at it. Messing around with razor blade by the string is a bad idea given my current mental state haha. I did take the 25 gr off last night but it did t change. Might not have been enough though. I’ll re tie everything tomorrow and take some outta the limbs. Thanks again.

OP
F

Foster_65

FNG
Alright guys. Wanted to follow up on this. I’m finally shooting bullets. You were right it was something dumb. Gulfbum was correct. My arrows are to weak for that much weight up front. I took a turn and a half out, went out and first shot was nearly a bullet. This was with the nock point as BG discribed perfectly center. Put another half turn in the limbs and got slightly nock high. Was able to pretty easily tune it out. But I am still a bit nock low on nocking point but it’s shooting bare shaft bullet holes at 10 ft so I’ll live with it for now. Bow is now set at about 69 lbs and I feel like it’s right on the verge for spine. Thinking I’ll have some new arrows in my future. I really didn’t think that would be to much bow for that arrow but I was wrong. Thanks for all the help gentlemen and sticking with me through all that. I’m very relieved I we got to the bottom of this. Thanks again.

I'm not understanding why it tuned before and isn't now? What changed?

Granted, AA shows that setup weaker than I expected. You need to be @ 70# and a 30" shaft to make it optimal.

OP
F

Foster_65

FNG
Yea so one thing I totally forgot about was when I initially had the bow set up when I bought it (when it tuned) I had it set to 72 lbs. since then I had maxed out not thinking to much or worrying about it since I was putting new strings on anyway. Figured I’d get a good tune once tge strings were on. Soon as I shot that first bullet it was like light bulbs went off and totally made sense. Feel like a real dummy but I sure now my way around the epsilon rest. As frustrating as this has been I really learned a lot. Really thankful for the help and discussion.

Also what’s AA?

golfbum

WKR
It may be worth cutting the arrow as short as possible (28.5-29”) and see if it would stiffen it up enough…

With that said, 69lbs at a 31.5” is a pretty awesome setup and more then enough for any situation you find yourself in lol

OP
F

Foster_65

FNG
It may be worth cutting the arrow as short as possible (28.5-29”) and see if it would stiffen it up enough…

With that said, 69lbs at a 31.5” is a pretty awesome setup and more then enough for any situation you find yourself in lol
Cutting my arrows down was my first thought as well, however I have 50 gr hits jb welded into all of them. Don’t think I’ll be able to get them out. Worst case me boys can have a dozen arrows to fling around.

Thinking about trying the Easton axis 200 spine. Certainly that should be stiff enough, not?

golfbum

WKR
Imo even .200 spine will be pushing it with such a long arrow, draw, and heavy draw weight. I also think Mathews bows tend to like stiffer arrows.

You could cut one of your current arrows from the nock side and just see. Start with an inch or so, or just go as short as possible.

According to AA a 200 spine Rampage will work, everything else being the same, but your shaft weight jumps a good bit, up over 600gr depending on fletching and nock.

You can cut your shafts on the backend and refletch, as golfbum said. Program says you need a 28" shaft and 125 upfront for it to spine out right. You won't be able to get there, but can try them. Or go back down in DW.

Glad you’re dialed back in. If you feel like you are borderline on dynamic spine you could add some weight to the back of the arrow. I have no experience doing this but have read multiple times where this yielded good results.